Spartans Home

Droid Box for TV

I have not used the pre-made streaming boxes before, but I have used Kodi with the various IPTV streaming add-ons on my own hardware. My problem is that eventually, they all get shut down by the various law enforcement agencies around the world. While its not illegal for you to own that box or to even view the streams... it is illegal (in most countries) for them to broadcast it and it is very easy to track down the source of a stream to take legal action against whoever is responsible for it. Of course, once they shut one down, two more pop up... but that just means you have to stay tuned into that community to learn where the best new content is coming from and keep your add-ons updated. If you have the time, patience, and you won't get an earful from the other people in your home for having to change constantly, that system can certainly save you a fair bit of coin from the cable company and the box office.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2018 at 3:51 PM, Hunter~SPARTA~ said:

I have not used the pre-made streaming boxes before, but I have used Kodi with the various IPTV streaming add-ons on my own hardware. My problem is that eventually, they all get shut down by the various law enforcement agencies around the world. While its not illegal for you to own that box or to even view the streams... it is illegal (in most countries) for them to broadcast it and it is very easy to track down the source of a stream to take legal action against whoever is responsible for it. Of course, once they shut one down, two more pop up... but that just means you have to stay tuned into that community to learn where the best new content is coming from and keep your add-ons updated. If you have the time, patience, and you won't get an earful from the other people in your home for having to change constantly, that system can certainly save you a fair bit of coin from the cable company and the box office.

in the UK some guys got jail time for selling the boxes. there is some grey areas  but these guys were commiting fraud also, but made the media give people a shock "kodi box clampdown" and "Kodi box users ‘could face up to 10 years in jail’ under new piracy laws" https://metro.co.uk/2017/05/03/kodi-box-users-could-face-up-to-10-years-in-jail-under-new-piracy-laws-6613543/?ito=cbshare

• 3 weeks later...