Spartans Home

Space Engineers Update 24/7

Luggage~SPARTA~

My modular ship

Space%20Engineers%20Modular_zpshuh8o3hh.

Blue is a Hydrogen thruster planetary lander it carries a smaller atmospheric driller and a small atmospheric welder.

Red is the industrial part, with 2 10x Refineries 2 10x blast furnaces and 2 assemblers plus 4 jump drives

White is for additional thrust and cargo and also has 4 jump drives

At the rear is a 5x5 large block asteroid driller.

White and red carry a welding ship each, plus white has a shuttle.

Each has a med bay plus 6 Cryo chambers.

• Like 1

Which of the door mods is best to use +MMaster or Armour gates?

And any tips on use? I need to build a series of 15 block wide 20 block high (if possible) for the air lock to my Mars base.

Nice ship Zeno 👍

edit- I see +MMaster is 5x high max

Edited by custard~SPARTA~

I have started building my Modular ship at the Space Outpost. I built the first 2 modules and some of the support ships, there is one more module to go. But with 4 jump drives and a lot of ion thrusters I have used much of the resource stock, especially thruster components and superconductors. I have the assemblers restocking but I went out to gather some ore, gold, silver and platinum (2 million kgs of each) in Adders driller.  

After the restock I will build the last module.

Server Cleanup. It turns out the Asteroid Base was the biggest structure in the server, so we eliminated most of the Hangar (kept the deck and all of one wall and part of the back wall), we also got rid of the weld wall, we will have to find another solution (possibly a simple mod where the one welder has the area effect of five). It might be an idea to scrap the lake base on earth.

The second largest structure on the server was my merged Modular ship, so I pushed off to the Alien Planet and built a simple frame fixed to an asteroid to dock the modular ship to. I unmerged her into its three modules and docked it. I wont be landing on the planet but will be exploring its moon and the environs.

I deleted a load of random moving bits and pieces .

Hopefully this will give us more head room for Custard to build his mega base.

ModshipAlien%20Dock_zpsigghac7v.jpg

As part of the cleanup I deleted the lake base, I had intended to recover all the material but when I deleted a fiddly small block vehicle I ended deleting the whole base. I only recovered one welding ship.

I extended the platform of the mountain base so that Adders shuttle can get a better run and added another platform next to it to park (sorry no external docking).

Adder found a possible mod solution to replace our weldwall, called the automated shipyard.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=684618597

You build a frame, big enough to accommodate the ship you want too build. in the 8 corners are lasers that fill in the blocks. Unlike the nanite factory, it will only build within the frame. The energy cost is not insignificant and correlates to the size of the frame. In tests building One module of my modular ship at the slowest rate uses 1.3 gw (a bit more than 3 large reactors). It can also disassemble ships. 

If every one is ok with this we can try it on the server.

We tried out the laser welder but building the frame is a ball ache and if its too small for the next build its another ball ache. Plus after use it made the server glitchy and needed a restart. So I have mostly ground it down and will finish after the update.

I have been working on a rotary welder. Using a piston to pull the projection through the welder "Windmill". 4 arms with 14 welders plus a central welder for a total of 57, these should cover the same area as around 138 welders. From what I read each welder stops the server to do it calculations then restarts, so the more welders you have going the more the server stops resulting in painful lag. By having fewer welders I'm hoping that translates into less lag, but I need to test it on the server.

Here is a crappy screen shot, I picked the worse place for lighting.

Windmill%20Welder_zpsw4sn7ido.jpg

Windmill Welder 👍

Oxygen question are ppl currently able to decompress and fill a sealed area because I was trying on my MARS base and was unable to?

Possible the size of my grid is causing the problem

The beauty of your weld wall with pistons was that it could, with little effort, accommodate  any size ship. The laser welder needed a lot of power (and frankly I cheated and used creative to add reactors, since deleted) and the server started acting up if it stopped. Not to mention the fact that a bigger ship meant a lot of grinding and welding.

Theoretically the laser welder welds everything, in practice it did not. Equally the weld wall could miss blocks depending on design, the same limitations apply to the rotary welder.

A problem I had was the lateral weld area. the weld head would build a block beside it which would then jam against a weld arm. to stop this I added catwalk along both sides of the weld heads, which stops any lateral building. With this iteration I did get one jam right at the centre. Handily the jam also blocks piston movement so I turned off the pistons, rotor and welders, ground the block off, re engaged the rotor then welder then piston and it carried on without further stoppage.

I will build it out of the way on the asteroid outpost on the server.

Wouldn't surprise me if all the unbuilt portions with all welding systems are due to component supply through the connectors and lag because of our (my big grid) busy world

I built a new platform at the back of the outpost asteroid, it is connected to the main base via connector only.  I built the rotary welder one welder bigger than my prototype. I added all the pistons and projectors which can be managed from 2 cockpits (one with oxygen). I built a small block welding ship. Because it is flat I should not have rotated the welders, just pulled it through. Because I did there was a small jam but it kept working once I turned on the rotor lock.

The server speed did drop but only to 87-90% not too drastic. I will test it on a big ship tomorrow.

Look forward to it, population is a bit thin at the moment.

Anyway, big ship test today. Server performance was ok, mostly 1.0, rarely 0,7. There were 2  jams, easily remedied, several unfinished blocks (Gyros) and 6 missing blocks due to design. Still much better than Manual welding

For those wanting to do that I will build variety of welding ships and park them on that deck

Rotary%20Welder%201_zpsufn3vtod.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

J and I have been talking about a scenario where we start off on the ground on the alien planet in a lander and the objective is to get to earth in one sitting, on earth we must still be operational (ie no parachuting down to the surface). So we will either end up with a functioning base or a ship that can function as a base. There will be only the one lander. So our objective will be to find the quickest way back to earth.

If this is of interest we can flesh out the scenario and criteria.