Spartans Home

OUCH!!! these prices are insane....

Zathrus~SPARTA~

So Tues. morning my ole AMD HD 7970 OC card I installed in 2013 finally blew up.... it was a final catastrophic failure... complete with the dreaded "Green line screen of doom" created by vga failure.

My RoG motherboard immediately indicated VGA failure with a large red LED that should have been green.....

So I went on line to find a replacement... and was stunned by current prices.

An EVGA GTX 1080 TI Hybrid that sold for $850 last October (friend bought one) now sells for $1399.

A GTX 1070 that sold for $550 in 2017 now sells for $840...

Apparently the crypto currency mining craze is buying big powerful vga cards faster than they can produce them... hence the price gouging by all...

I was depressed... but kept looking around... went on Ebay and there before me... a new listing posted 5 minutes earlier came up for an Asus GTX 1070 Dual 08G card brand new in retail packaging for $625....

I of course grabbed that before it vanished.... After receiving the card and verifying its actual model, I am quite pleased to have gotten this card for $625 since on both Newegg and Amazon the cheapest price listed for it is $840. This is the Asus GTX 1070 dual fan OC card. (Model: DUAL-GTX1070-O8G)

I have installed this GTX1070 and I am impressed with it. It runs nearly identical frame rates to my ole 7970 but is running much cooler.

One thing that has me worried.. although I am not sure why I should be worried....is I have only changed the factory fan profile using the included vga monitor so that it goes to 100% fan speed at 65C instead of the factory 90C. Yet during gaming... the GPU is going to 1987mhz.... according to their release spec the OC should be going to 1771mhz.... The temperature never went above 60C so... apparently it is not hurting itself.

If this is how this card is going to perform it is damn impressive....

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

Yeah stock is basically sold as fast as they get it in. You can still get cards for MSRP but you have to be quick and/or lucky. We bought three 1060 cards for our development PCs at work and it was a nightmare trying to get them. RAM and GPU prices are ridiculous now.

Also I hope you are just using VGA as short hand for the graphics card and you aren't using a VGA cable on your shiny new 1070. If you are you need to get a better monitor that supports DVI-D or DisplayPort :P

According to GPU Benchmarks you should see a noticeable increase in performance with the 1070 vs the 7970

I was going to pick up a GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid in late December. Then the Spectre/Meltdown shit happened so I held off. Within like two days the prices had skyrocketed to almost double. Should have just bought it when I had the chance. <_>

No I use DVI and HDMI cables for my monitors, I was referring to the card when I used VGA as the motherboard has a status light for the graphics card labelled "VGA". It also has status lights for the CPU, Memory and power.

I have set the gpu limit to 1794mhz as apparently changing anything in the monitoring utility just makes everything adjust to the maximum capability of the gpu in theory.....

I find it interesting I ran it for 10 to 15 minutes this morning in Planetside 2 watching it closely... it was running the gpu at 1987mhz producing 100 to 160 fps (very good) while throttling the fan as needed and never got above 60C according to the monitor.... and it was very stable....that is very impressive if it isn't lying to me...not wanting to tempt fate...I manually set things to what they advertise as the OC speed.

So far in gaming it seems about the same as the 7970 in fps, etc. but my 7970 used a lot more power than this uses and it produced a ton more heat than this 1070 produces. But that might change as I continue fine tuning things.

One easy visual on how much less power this 1070 uses, it has one pci-e power connector... the 7970 had two pci-e power connectors. Also this GTX 1070 is relatively quiet compared to the ole 7970 which sounded much like a jet engine at full power off in the distance.

Visually it is very rich, the 1070 is doing a bit better visually I think at producing reflective properties of surfaces than my 7970 did. While it is only a slight difference, it is a visually pleasing and noticeable difference.

According to GPU Benchmarks you should see a noticeable increase in performance with the 1070 vs the 7970

Ok Mh6 I stand corrected... this gtx1070 is not working hard at all to produce 100+ fps in planetside2... in fact, it is running at 49C with fan at 60% running 110 to 150fps.... that ole 7970 could do that also, but the fans were running at 100% and it was running in the mid 60's C

So I am not even testing this 1070 card much at all in PS2

Yeah I had been looking and thought what the hell the same Card I seen at Christmas has gone up 400.00 bucks

So after seeing this post I searched and found a decent 6 gb 1060 for under 500.00 but I really wanted a top end

to last me the next 3-4 years.

A $1k card is dumb just dumb and I'm not going to do it yet!

Because of Mining there will be a lot of worn out cards in the next couple of years on ebay.

I think the mining craze will die soon and things will adjust.

If nothing is broken right now, I would not replace it.

But if you have to... keep an eye out as there are still decent prices out there... they are just rare. I found a vendor on ebay who only wanted an extra 100 instead of 300 or 400 so they are out there.

don't bet on the mining stopping. even though the total market cap dropped by over 50% recently, mining crypto it's still profitable, and it's only going to go one way again after that price correction.

you could look at it another way, use your own gear to make yourself some money back :]

glad i don't need a new card at the moment though. hope they ramp up production for the next gen of cards.

Edited by PANiC

yeah it is insane how card prices jumped $300 for mid perf. cards and jumped $400 to $500 for higher performance cards....

Really I think a lot of people are going to get burned mining crypto currency with the Chinese and others building entire data centers dedicated to mining.

Up until that very recent surge in bitcoin value for example, in the USA it was costing more in electricity costs to power mining machines than they could make due to numerous mining dedicated data centers making it extremely slow to mine.

Then of course... after you have mined said net worth... getting someone to buy it without screwing you can be challenging also. I have talked to many who have ended up selling at a fraction of the "market value" because folks were slow to want it. Yes that changes... on a daily basis.... but it is not all done with the mining itself.

• 2 weeks later...

They better be careful they can be prosecuted for price fixing like ram and LCD tvs did a few years ago.

There has been an investigation into the DRAM price fixing I believe. It was back at the start of the year, not sure if they ever found anything conclusive.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/3186-chinese-government-investigating-dram-price-fixing-allegations

I don't know eather, but the threat of it sure lowered prices back to where they should be, and it can happen again. You get a group of consumers pist off and it can happen. They will have to ramp up production to meet demand. Not price fix reguardless of demand. Pc gaming is falling way off giving way to the game consoles of wicth are evolving tward becoming a P/C anyway, and merge together soon in the future.

A fricken X box is $400 and a playstation the same or more if you get the call of duty edition up to $600 or more.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~