Spartans Home

Ryzen Threadripper review: AMD's monster 1950X stomps on other CPUs

Athlon64~SPARTA~

Interesting.... not a CPU I would want to pay for in a gaming rig... since for most games it has to tell windows it is only 8 cores and only use one of its two chips.

It is very flexible since it can be switched from UMA to NUMA as needed for gaming but this CPU appears designed for things far beyond gaming.

A gamer would never really use the capability of this CPU.

I am thinking this CPU is designed to be a very powerful number cruncher... ie. a bank of these cpu's for a super computer processing huge amounts of data for the sciences, etc.

It might also be good at multitasking where multiple tasks requiring significant cpu threads/time simultaneously happens often.

But I think this would be out of place in a desktop case right now... especially considering the memory latency issues if it is using both cores simultaneously...

That could change if software engineers, coders, etc. discover significant enhancements to what they are building if they use those capabilities.

I am thinking a desktop tower with 16 cores blazing away simultaneously on something could produces some very realistic simulators.....

The problem would be getting a large enough part of the population to afford a cpu like that to make it worth them expending the significant resources and manhours to even try coding something like a game to use all of the cpu's capabilities.

• 3 weeks later...