Spartans Home

SpaceX Falcon Heavy

Zathrus~SPARTA~

I will try to post that when it is determined... so far no word on actual time. If it is in the evening the heavy should produce a pretty good light show... if it gets off the launch pad.

I remember my Father telling me when a Saturn V rocket would lift off, he was at a launch and was I think 15 miles away yet the roar of those engines rattled his chest, shook the cars parked behind them, etc.

While the Falcon Heavy is about half the thrust & mass at takeoff, it is still the largest rocket launched since the last Saturn V launched in 1973.

Saturn V = total mass of 6,540,000 lb (2,970,000 kg) with thrust at lift off of 7,891,000 lbf (35,100 kN)

Falcon Heavy = total mass of 3,132,301 lb (1,420,788 kg) with thrust at liftoff of 3,420,000 lbf 15,214 kN)

IF Musk can get the BFR project going, that is estimated to have 11,800,000 lbf of thrust at lift off... that sucker is going to rattle things.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

Ok... here we go:

Next Launch : Feb 06, 2018 01:30 PM | Rocket Launch: February 6, 2018 1:30 PM | SpaceX Falcon Heavy Inaugural Flight
They have also confirmed that if it makes it up, they will be trying to land and recover all three first stages... going to be interesting.

1.30PM US east cost time.

all 3 boosters landing has always been the plan - the 2 side booster will return to KSC and the center core will land on the OCISLU drone ship in the Atlantic.

They are still actively looking to eventually return the upper stage on future missions too.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone missed the Falcon Heavy flight the video below is the launch and landings (booster landing phase begins at approx. 8:30 in time line)

I have to say I have always found them landing the first stage very impressive..... seeing two of them come down side by side and landing successfully is amazing looking.

But I think the best video is of Musk's reaction to the successful takeoff. I understand his relief, when you have designed or participated in the construction of something like

the Falcon Heavy, you know all the things that can go wrong.... and it is a very long list of things that can spell doom to the vehicle. When everything goes correctly, and nothing

fails it is a HUGE relief because as an engineer you know all the things that may not go correctly.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~