Spartans Home

hosting pictures....

Zathrus~SPARTA~

I remember some brought this up a few months ago regarding photobucket and their rather obvious money grab for 3rd party hosting.

Has anyone found a decent website for 3rd party hosting pics? many of these free hosting sights like IMGr etc. are not really something I consider acceptable.

I am contemplating.....

I know from hosting game servers in MWLL that I can go to one of the best server providers available (NFO servers) and rent a webhosting server for $10 per month...

https://www.nfoservers.com/webhosting.php

Honestly... I am so pissed off at photobucket... I have thought of trying to do a startup photo hosting company that chops them off at the ankles by providing gamers, bloggers, etc. a place to host pics for something

like $2 to $3 per month..... although it might have to be a little more. I need to check with NFO as I think bandwidth problems can begin to occur hosting pictures (which is why I think photobucket has had this absurd and greedy knee jerk reaction as I think their costs suddenly exploded) which might require quite a bit more than would be provided for $10 per month for a server.

They will customize stuff to your needs... I know I would have to have 1000's of simultaneous connections instead of 200... which I think will raise the monthly costs....I just do not know how much yet.

Also I would have to build or buy a file system interface to handle accounts and their pictures appropriately. I do know one guy who could do that for me if he has time.

I suspect if word got out.... photobucket would lose customers in droves.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

yes you can use photobucket for free... you cannot post pictures from photobucket anymore... unless you buy their $400/yr pro account. All other accounts are blocked.

Currently some people are finding they can still third party host pictures, but photobucket has begun blocking them as they find them and sending account holders emails explaining if they wish to continue they must pay.

Panic... the problem I have with flkr, imgur, etc.... is anything you post on those sites immediately is public domain ownership. Anyone can download, copy, use, etc. Yes they might throw up a warning that it could be copyright material, but that is about as far as it goes.

Any website hosting pictures that is charging for an account, typically provides copy blocks, or only allows a very low res version to be copied or downloaded.... often the low res version will have a water mark on it after they download it.

Do I typically post pictures that I want copyright or ownership exclusive to? sometimes but granted it is not often... it is the simple preference to have control of how the picture is broadcast from it's location. That is what paid subscriptions do.

I am willing to bet... if I saturated gaming communities, reddit, etc. with post's telling them they could have the same webhosting service's gamers tend to use that photobucket wants to charge $34.00 per month for a more reasonable price of $1.25 per month... I am willing to bet I would get a lot of takers.

In addition, photobucket has 1000's of account holders who's accounts have been reverted to free accounts like flkr or imgur because photobucket no longer offers the lower tier accounts... people are pissed! Their website has been hammered so hard... there is no real way to contact photobucket directly anymore. They removed contact info and buttons. They also put up an announcement stating they would not be refunding any moneys for all the accounts they just discontinued. You can upgrade to a new higher tier account, or... your out of luck. You can send an email to support if your an account holder... that is all.... I have seen many blogs screaming class action lawsuit especially over the obvious attempt to refuse refunding money they should be refunding.

In my case, paypal sent them an automatic payment in Oct. (forgot I had it on autopay so my fault)... Photobucket discontined and no longer provided my "Plus 20" tier account after June of 2017.

So... in October of 2017, they accepted a payment for a plus 20 account... then sent me an email saying they ended those in June of 2017.... but they do not plan on refunding me.... I thought about that a minute... and yes they are committing fraud....

What they did not realize however... is paypal has a very aggressive claim system which I activated :thumbsup:

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

By the way, if anyone is in the situation where photobucket has kept your money, but informed you that they no longer provide that service and you used paypal... there is some hope.

I filed a claim through paypal, they reviewed it and paypal refunded me directly from photobucket's paypal account.

In their decision letter, they informed me if photobucket does not maintain enough money within paypal accounts for paypal to refund these claims, they will suspend photobucket's account.