Spartans Home

Space Engineers General

Zeno~SPARTA~

Having built my version of an orbital cargo ship I thought I would have a go at building it on the server.

I used the welding vehicle. It was difficult to enter and welding seemed optional on its part. Then I noticed that the cockpit I was welding and the welding head had become translucent, meaning they had been destroyed, but there was no bang, I backed away then the welding ship glitched and hit Cents orbital cargo ship. This contact broke up the welder and destroyed the front of Cents ship. I have cleared up all of the welding ship debris, any components recovered have been put in a connector on the platform.

Sorry for the destruction I will help rebuild and repair the ships.

Z

No probs mate, it happens all the time on planets gravity suks.

It's what drove Cent to design the ship printer that we still have to build on this server it doesn't half save a lot of angst.

@Cent

You need Taleden's Inventory Manager look at things I have as favorites in the Steam Workshop I am having a brain freeze and cannot get a direct steam linky

@Zeno

Do you know how to save a ship as a blueprint and build from a blueprint? It will save you a great deal of time and is dead easy. If you prefer Nuclear power for your ships build that way just remember to mine some Uranium every now and then, batteries are very heavy and some do not like using them.

BTW a battery has a mass of Kg 4845, I use 2 so lets call it 11000 (including the solar panel. To power the thrusters you have to use a large reactor which has a mass of Kg 73795. Obviously you are powered for a long time with a reactor and maybe only 30 minutes with the batteries but I should be able to add more.

Gonna hijack this thread for an update. I took the miner out looking for some ore, but filled up on stone before I could get down to the actual ore. Couldn't figure out how to get the ejectors to push out the stone, so just came back to base and put the miner out on the deck. But then the base conveyors/connectors didn't seem to want to do anything, so its still sitting out there full to brim of useless material. :wtf: :poster_oops:

I had a quick look but it appears the miner suffered damage after you parked it a lot of the starboard side is missing as well as the connector and a bunch of thrusters. I used my little welder to lift it up on one side to a landing gear and connector then managed to dock it.

The good news it doesnt have any stone in it. We can have a bash at fully repairing it later today.

repair%201_zpseyagh3av.jpg

That's... odd. I actually parked it outside the main hangar door, with all that stone in there it was a bit of a beast to control, didn't dare try to maneuver down the corridor. I was the last one to leave the server, though... did it revert to a previous save perhaps? Are our conveyors out to the deck still there?

Had to take a look at the miner in creative to even have an idea where to start, but I think I got it back to mostly original working condition. Was able to figure out the sorter and bring back a load of iron ore since the base was out. I'm assuming TIM is supposed to auto-create the building components, but that wasn't happening. I went ahead and manually built a number of the components we were completely out of.

The entrance shelf connectors have never been connected to the system inside. The nearest connector to use Is the one at the end of the tunnel

All of the ship's blueprints I have built should be available to friends via Steam just subscribe and that blueprint becomes useable in all servers you join.

Last week Hunter and I joined the connector at the end of the tunnel to the outside connectors. when the server comes back up I will move the connectors away from the entrance to the right of the platform where I have added an extension.

• 1 month later...

Parachutes have been introduced and they work. I built a large ship to go to an asteroid platform (at 40km and 0.05g). Once there I could freefall back and use the parachute until the last second. With this we could "drop" cargo containers to earth from the asteroids.

Also we can build multi stage launch vehicles

Stage 1 Battery powered atmospheric thrusters,

Stage 2 hydrogen powered thrusters

Stage 3 Ion thrusters

Here is my second attempt at a three stage ascent vehicle

Stage 1 Atmospheric Thrusters (2 large plus 4 small), 3 batteries, landing gear, parachute, antenna and merge block

Stage 2 Hydrogen Thrusters (2 Large), 2 Hydrogen tanks, Connector, parachute, antenna and merge block

Stage 3 Cockpit, Ion Thrusters (1 Large, 7 small), Large nuclear reactor, landing gear, parachute, antenna and merge block
Procedure
Before launch - Atmospheric thrusters on, Hydrogen and ion thrusters off, disable dampeners, maneuver to connector to charge batteries and fill hydrogen tanks ( remain vertical)
Launch - disconnect from connector, Thrust forward in vertical position
>1000 meters Enable all parachutes auto deploy at 1000 meters
>4000 meters or when atmospheric thrusters stop working - enable stage 2 thrusters, disable stage 1 thrusters, cut power to stage 1 merge block
When Hydrogen depleted - enable stage 3 thrusters, disable stage 2 thrusters, cut power to stage 2 merge block
Continue to asteroid
Return - free fall/ parachute
Use recovery vehicle to pick up and reassemble stages
3%20Stage%20ascent%20vehicle_zpsiqwohn85

I have been having fun upgrading some of my old structures and ships as well as building a new space base.

My old modular base needed a lot of holes filled before it could pressurise, plus I needed to generate oxygen, nut I got there in the end

Modular%20Base%201_zps6xevjlbn.jpg

I had a bit of fun with the LCDs (including the TIM and Automatic LCDs V2)

Modular%20Base%202_zpsshveztsq.jpg

Modular%20Base%203_zpsyhtg7wpv.jpg

Once I got the hang of that I set about building a new base

Mega%20Base%202_zpsiwsyhzqa.jpg

At the moment only the cockpit is pressurized but that is so I can fly between floors without having to use the stairwell, had a bit of fun with the LCDs here as well.

Mega%20Base%201_zps1rq3ky9x.jpg