Spartans Home

Le Mans 2017 Pro GTE finish

Zeno~SPARTA~

15 minutes of this years Le Mans finish of the Pro GTE Class. Over the last 10 years or so there have been dramatic races between Chevrolet and Aston Martin in this class. This year is up there and very exciting. A rule change hurt the turbo Ford GT but it still took second and was always up for a podium. I am always amazed that a finish is so close in a 24 hour race. Awesome.

Here is an article about the battle for GTE Pro class between Aston Martin and Chevrolet

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/corvette-team-cant-feel-bad-despite-last-lap-defeat-920229/?s=1

Taylor said his trip through the gravel at the second Mulsanne corner on the penultimate lap was down to being caught out on worn tires.

He commented: “They were pretty well used up. When the lock-up happened it was so abrupt and unexpected - usually you lock in the second part of the brake phase, but these just locked as soon as I touched the brake, so it caught me off-guard.
“When I knew I wasn’t going to make the chicane I decided just to go straight, try to make the most of it, so I went flat-out through the gravel trap to try to maintain the gap. But at that point I had such a big flat-spot on the tire, and I think I had another tire going down at the same time. It was just a train of unfortunate events.”
Taylor, who has dominated the IMSA Prototype category with his father’s Wayne Taylor Racing-run Cadillac this year, said the battle with the victorious Aston Martin was a clean one, and didn’t think their touch at Arnage caused the last-lap puncture.
“He [Jonny Adam] went down the inside and was never going to make the corner - he overshot it by a big margin. [but] he had to try it, I saw it coming, so I kind of crouched under it. I knew I was going to cross back under.
“I know we touched a little bit at the exit but I don’t think that had anything to do with what happened later on.”

What a gentleman.