Spartans Home

My version of the Mach Loop

Zeno~SPARTA~

The Mach loop is the high speed low level training run through the valleys of Wales. Here are a pair of RAF Typhoons flying the loop.

Apparently the Americans train there as well

My version is not in wales, not a loop and sub mach. It follows a route through the mountains between Germany and Austria. The mountain range is about 10,000 feet high but the route has a safe altitude of 5,000 ft.

Cent and I had a go at it yesterday in the Extra 300 S at speeds ranging from 150 to 180 knts. The 300 S is a very agile racing plane.

Extra%20300%20S_zpslfsqsb52.jpg

Today I had a go at it in the T45 Goshawk (the boeing version of the BAE Hawk) and an F18 Hornet. Here is a view from the T45,

Austrian%20Mach%20Loop_zpsxozznolc.jpg

and here is a close up of the HUD and GPS, I am in a sharp tun to the left with a hard right coming up, my ground speed is 348knts and I am 570ft above the ground, at this stage of the turn I am pulling 2.7 G.The GPS is a big help with the turns and I have positioned it directly under the HUD so I dont have to look away.

Austrian%20Mach%20Loop%201_zpsobnskfj8.j

When I did it again in the F18 I got up to 500 knts, Mach 0.8 and was up to 5 G in places with a voice constantly saying OVERG OVERG in the turns.

This is a stock plane so we can fly in aircraft with identical performance. I also release smoke so that I can be followed more easily.

• Like 1

Cent thought my run wasnt challenging enough, so I have found a mission through the grand canyon.

Grand%20Canyon%20run_zpshqt00yyl.jpg

The cut of the canyon is quite narrow, the image below shows me at the beginning of the run. The objective is to do the timed part in around 15 minutes and to stay below 3100 ft. I have 51ft to spare in the image but moments later I exceeded the height restriction so failed.

Grand%20Canyon%20run%201_zps0mpqnweo.jpg

It is very challenging, I recommend practising my run first.