Spartans Home

Dovetail Games Flightsim world

Zeno~SPARTA~

The replacement for FSX cometh (finally), but will it be a huge disappointment. FSX is the dominant flight simulator supported by the best addon developers in the business as well as a formidable array of magnificent user addons. If they get it wrong this brand could perish taking P3D with it.

• Like 1

FSX is the number 1 flight simulation platform. As I have demonstrated, every type of plane can be flown in it. The number of people making addon airplanes and scenery (Payware and freeware) is vast. The price range is also wide, from freeware to $100+ for some airplanes. The expensive planes are "study level" quality. To start a flight in a PMDG 737 or 747 requires the full startup procedure and flight management computer sequence.

The good news

ORBX (a renowned FSX scenery addon company), Carenado/Alabeo (a maker of very pretty General Aviation planes) are onboard from the start, so all of the ground mesh is made by ORBX and the few planes that ship with the FSW are made by Carenado/Alabeo. Also A2A are adding "Acufeel" to the planes that are being shipped with the sim. FSW will be 64bit, this doesnt enhance the quality of the sim but will eliminate the out of memory issues sometimes suffered during long flights.

DoveTail Games (DTG) are currently insisting that addons for the new sim must also be made available through Steam and DTG stores.Steam and DTG take a 30% cut on stuff sold through their store. So basically DTG is trying to add additional income from addon sales. PMDG planes are licensed and approved by Boeing. PMDG planes take years to produce and are bought through their own webstore. Dialogue between PMDG and DTG appears to have dried up over this issue. PMDG launched their first plane for the XPLANE 11 platform this year. My experience with buying military addon planes through steam has been annoying so now when I buy an addon, I buy it direct from the addon maker or from the Justflight store front. Its still early days so we will see how this pans out. The success of FSX was due to the massive support from 3rd party addon companies.

In the launch video they said the "game" will launch with a fleet of GA planes. When asked about airplane types by Frooglesim (A well known flight sim youtuber), they said they may add more plane types in the future. As you have seen from my posts FSX is my go to flight sim because of the variety of planes I can fly, I do like to hop into GA planes every now and again, but I enjoy flying all of them for the variety of experience they provide.

Calling FlightSim World a game is a big turn off to many simmers. Personally, I am not that hardcore as to be bothered by them calling it a game, since renowned A2A "Accufeel" will give the planes realistic handling.

Train simulator was a title that DTG bought, apparently there was a big library of freeware for it. Since DTGs involvement the freeware has dried up. This has been my fear for the FSX replacement, again we will see how this pans out.

For the first time at Flightsim con 2017, DTG, Laminar Research (Xplane) and Locheed Martin (Pr3pared - P3D) will be sitting together to speak to the audience. I expect P3D will announce the launch their 64 bit version at this time. But more importantly DTG will have to clarify their intentions with FSW to a live audience of simmers, who will take no prisoners, in front of their main rivals.

Well I miscalculated the dowload time and managed to sort out a flight this morning.

If flew from Marseilles,provence (LFML) to Nice (LFMN), a flight I have done many times. I made the flight in a Piper Cherokee 180, it looks quite good but I was disappointed with the GPS popup, which looked low res. To be honest I struggled a bit with the flight, but that could be down to unfamiliarity. The flying itself was ok and I did manage to navigate to the destination. At one point there was a weird noise It could have been buffeting but it sounded more like engine trouble, no warning lights or instruments in the red though.

I made the flight in mildly inclement weather so I had to use the ILS and VOR navigation, this all seemed to work ok.

The real problem appears to be a lack of confidence in Dovetail games to develop this into a full sim instead of a sim light experience with eye candy. This is based on their actions with Train simulator after they got a hold of it. But they hired Steven Hood from Codemasters where he was involved in the F1 games and he comes across as someone who would want more sim less arcade.

I dont think the market for hard core simmers is very big, there are many more sim light gamers and DTG will certainly want to get them. So we shall see. For me, at this price, it was a no brainer low risk purchase on top of which it is still like putting on my old tatty trainers that are so comfortable (despite my earlier comment), I didnt have to reconfig anything it just used my FSX SE config, so I was flying very quickly.

FSW%20Piper%20Cherokee%202_zpsvxrzj0wb.j

FSW%20Piper%20Cherokee%203_zpsugw0p866.j

I flew a bit more in FSW today, this time on my favourite route from Freidrichshafen (EDNY) to Innsbruck (LOWI) In the Diamond DA42. I flew in the evening to check out the shadow effects

FSW%20Diamond%20DA42%20%201_zpseclmyy6v.

FSW%20Diamond%20DA42%203_zpshtw4oqty.jpg

They look good and I made it to the valley before the sun set. Then the problems started, luckily the terrain map on the Garmin 1000 helped steer clear of the valley sides and a road with traffic helped as well. But the street lamps blinked out and there was very little illumination from the light sources. I think the community remarked that FSX was never truly dark, well dovetail have fixed that but now they need to make lights that illuminate. Still not unhappy.

Also the menu music is very soothing, reminds me of Ludvico Einaudi,

Another game crash today trying to fly to Pisa, I guess there is something wrong with that route. Anyway saw this guy try a cool flight so I thought I would try it in the same plane. Very enjoyable.

The look of fear with mountains all around

FSW%20DA%2040%201_zpsed6qdu85.jpg

FSW%20DA%2040%202_zpsxixlocul.jpg

The small runway atop a mountain.

FSW%20DA%2040%205_zpsjcus8p5b.jpg

FSW%20DA%2040%204_zpsygbzmcay.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Steve Hood is the Creative Director for Flightsim World, here he has given an interview to Bel Geode, a flightsim youtuber. Bel Geode asked him a series of questions (shown before hand). FSW is the underdog in the market today, with FSX and Xplane 11 outselling it. Watching this you realise that the development team is not some faceless corporate, but a group of human beings. Listening to Steve Hood I am encouraged for the future of FSW, it may take some time as there is a lot to do. But this guy and Aimee (who spoke in a different video) have a lot of enthusiasm for the sim, I really would like it to work and for it to become the successor to FSX.