Spartans Home

Internet network upgrades

Well about 10 days ago, while checking emails the news, etc. I suddenly saw my modem go off line and lost connection.

I waited, but the internet connectivity remained orange. I rebooted the modem and as I suspected, the internet connection light was now steady red.

I called comcast and here we actually have a pretty good franchise. Prices have only increased minimally over the last 4~5 years... maybe $5 per month but they have doubled my download speeds 3 times.

They update their infrastructure and networks often.... The result is a 120mb/s download speed and 12.5mb/s upload speed. I can have symmetrical internet at about 180mb/s up & down but that is A LOT MORE

expensive.

As I talked to the comcast rep, he suddenly stopped and asked; "er... how long have you had this modem?" I told him I thought maybe 4 to 5 years.

He answered; "yeah this is not going to work, we have updated again today and your modem is not compatible. To make matters worse, it is too old and there is no update for it.

I will try to get this one back on line and send you a new one."

Although it took almost 30 minutes, to his surprise and mine... the modem suddenly reconnected. I received the new modem in a couple of days... but have been procrastinating installing it.

Then I realized that for the last couple of days, it seemed like while gaming I was suffering significant packet loss. So I checked and this old modem was chugging along at 40mbs download 3mb/s upload and my ping to chicago was 128ms!!

So I switched it out this morning and got everything activated. I then went and did a new speed test to the same point I had an hour previously on the old modem.

and wow... big difference!!

6116586668.png

So getting back onto the main network caused my ping do drop to half its previous number, my download speed tripled, and my upload speed quadrupled. (old modem was 128ping, 40mb/s download & 3mb/s upload)

I am now going to find out if my bullets can now get to their target. :thumbsup:

yes comcast has an excellent franchise here. While that old modem running at 40mb'/s down, 3mb/s up and 128 ping may not seem bad, before the network upgrade that my modem had no firmware for it had been up where it the new modem put it. So I knew something was amiss. In addition, the tech indicated that the old modem was no longer capable of the speeds I was supposed to be getting, I surmise it is because they put me on an old network that could still talk to my modem.

Since i had been achieving the 120mb/s previously with the old modem, I had not thought to check it when it reconnected.

It has made a significant difference in gaming :thumbsup: