Spartans Home

New Build

Zeno~SPARTA~

Its been a long time coming but I have finally bought and built a new Gaming PC.

20170201_195705_zpsg32ftfgb.jpg

These are the components

Cooler Master HAF X Gaming Tower Case

Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero Intel Z270 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz (Kaby Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - White LED

Asus GeForce GTX 1080 DirectCU III Strix Gaming Aura RGB 8192MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card

Corsair RM Series RMi 1000 '80+ Gold' 1000W Modular Power Supply

Crucial MX300 275GB SSD SATA 6Gbps 3D Nand 7mm Solid State Drive

Crucial MX300 1TB SSD SATA 6Gbps 3D Nand 7mm Solid State Drive

WD Blue 4TB 5400rpm SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD

LG WH14NS40 Blu-ray Writer Optical Drive 14X BDR

Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" 3440x1440 IPS Curved Widescreen LED Monitor

Coolermaster CPU cooler

• Like 2

Excellent Choices :thumbsup: those components are the current versions of many of the components of the gaming system I built about 4 year ago... (ie. mine has an i7 2600K, 16 gigs of corsair DDR3, etc.) It is still very strong and is even running Star Citizen at low settings... although I can crank up the cpu if needed. We even have the same case... although I chose blue led fans.

That system will surprise you Zeno, make sure it has core parking turned off. I think they give you that option in win10 now. (early on it was not available)

While one would think core parking is no big deal for systems like this, it is actually a huge problem because of a hysteresis problem between the core parking and the GPU. The more powerful the GPU, the worse the problem is.

With core parking on, it lowered my overall fps in Planetside 2 about 40% because the CPU would put cores to sleep as it got ahead, then something big happens graphically and suddenly it is behind. The GPU senses the CPU bottleneck, so throttles back as the CPU wakes up more cores so it can catch back up... then it gets ahead.. and yeah we start over.

In a fairly fast system this becomes a vicious loop cycle that keeps the system from achieving it's true potential. In my case it lowered the average maximum FPS performance by nearly 40% in planetside 2 which is a fairly graphics intense 64 bit game.

Your system should be very stable and very fast regardless of what game you throw at it! :allgood:

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

The original cooler I bought for the CPU was the Corsair 115i twin rad, but it would not fit in this tower. I bought all of the components from Overclockers whilst I was in the UK because they have a wide selection. I only figured this out when I got back to France. Here I went to a shop to buy a cooler that would fit, but they only stock single radiator coolers, so I took what they had in stock, I will probably push it to 5 ghz, it runs at 4.2 when it needs to, it constantly changes by changing the multiplyer between 8 and 45.

Zath, I dont know what core parking is, are you talking about hyperthreading?

no

Core parking is in the advanced power management of the CPU.

You must tell it to leave all cores on all the time... or it will put any core to sleep that gets down to 5% even for a moment.

To remove core parking, go to settings -

select "Power & sleep"

select "create a power plan" - give it a name, then select "high performance" - select ok

select "change advanced power settings" - here you can customize right down to individual components how power is managed. Personally I only changed the settings on the drives and cpu.

go to the "processor power management" in the advanced power settings window.

open "minimum processor state" and make sure it says 100% - This tells windows all cores must be available all the time.

go to maximum processor state make sure it says 100%.

Core parking is now off.

I highly recommend this be done on any gaming rig running Win10. I spent about a month discussing this Hysteresis problem between core parking and the GPU with Intel. I sent them all kinds of data showing the CPU & GPU chasing each other at the cost of overall performance. Intel finally sent a change to microsoft that allowed core parking to be turned off in this manner.

The reason this is a problem in gaming rigs is due to high end GPU's with huge bandwidth capabilities. Without a GPU there is no problem, when you add a GPU to a system the problem appears and the more powerful the GPU the worse the problem is. In Zeno's rig, with a GTX 1080 the problem is going to be horrific.

I have fixed about 10 problem new builds with this fix. In each case, as soon as core parking was turned off, the rig's gaming performance increased radically to where everyone would expect it to be. The hysteresis between the GPU and Core parking is just really bad and causes a huge reduction in your average fps.

In the case of my rig, with core parking on it ran PS2 at about 70 to 100 FPS depending on game load. While this is fine... I knew this was well below the system capability. With core parking off, it runs 120 to 160fps depending on game load. That is with an old AMD 7970 card which actually has similar "bandwidth in texture fill rate" to the GTX 1070. It is the high bandwidth capabilities of a high end gaming video card that create this hysteresis problem.

It seriously increases the performance of any high end rig using win10 by turning core parking off.

I mean really.... to me "power saving" features of any kind that hinder performance is an oxymoron in gaming rigs..... Gaming rigs are not built to be power saving rigs. Sure it is fine if you can reduce power consumption without hindering performance... but this so far has proven not to be the case.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

We ended up with pretty similar builds, but I'll have to clean up my desk before posting a pic :poster_oops:

How do you like the curved monitor?

My build:

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

i7-6700K 4.0 GHz

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series - 32GB (2x 16GB)

ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 - 256GB SSD

Samsung 850 EVO - 1TB SSD

Corsair Hydro H100i v2

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 - 750W

TBH I built the PC around the processor which is a slightly different version to the one you and MH6 use. I dont even notice the curve but the width is something else, I still use a 2 screen setup, I have to use the smaller 23 inch for the secondary screen do that both fit. But the Dell has built in speakers so I dont have to use the bulky sound system on the desk (I only use the headset for online gaming), so that freed up a bit of space. So far the most notable difference with the super widescreen is in Project cars where form the inside view I can see the whole dash and both mirrors whereas before I could only see 2/3 of the windscreen and only the driver side mirror. I have played COH2, Rainbow Six siege and Insurgency, not sure how much more I am seeing. Naval Action failed, in the setup it shows 3440x1440 but as soon as you go to sea you are under the waves with no view of the ship and no control. The Division plays well visually but I am not sure I like the game (it glitched visually on my old PC).

I am installing Flight Simulator X and X Plane 10, I am quite keen to see the difference. I have to take a look at Space engineers as well. Of course once Star Citizen is finished I will spend a week downloading it to give it a try.

Before I put the PC on the desk I had a big clear out of accumulated rubbish, It doesnt normally look this clear. Now I have to tidy up the mess I have made in the dining room.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

TBH I built the PC around the processor which is a slightly different version to the one you and MH6 use. I dont even notice the curve but the width is something else, I still use a 2 screen setup, I have to use the smaller 23 inch for the secondary screen do that both fit. But the Dell has built in speakers so I dont have to use the bulky sound system on the desk (I only use the headset for online gaming), so that freed up a bit of space. So far the most notable difference with the super widescreen is in Project cars where form the inside view I can see the whole dash and both mirrors whereas before I could only see 2/3 of the windscreen and only the driver side mirror. I have played COH2, Rainbow Six siege and Insurgency, not sure how much more I am seeing. Naval Action failed, in the setup it shows 3440x1440 but as soon as you go to sea you are under the waves with no view of the ship and no control. The Division plays well visually but I am not sure I like the game (it glitched visually on my old PC).

I am installing Flight Simulator X and X Plane 10, I am quite keen to see the difference. I have to take a look at Space engineers as well. Of course once Star Citizen is finished I will spend a week downloading it to give it a try.

Before I put the PC on the desk I had a big clear out of accumulated rubbish, It doesnt normally look this clear. Now I have to tidy up the mess I have made in the dining room.

Never mind the quality feel the width

v nice