Spartans Home

Truck?... Boat?... naw.... Submarine

Zathrus~SPARTA~

this video speaks for itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAeanXWkbWc

I think the best response to this video is as follows:

This is what can happen when you confuse your ego with your car.

I see this a lot. People with 4x4 trucks who do not understand the limitations of their vehicle.

In addition, this driver displays complete ignorance on how to cross water... speed is not your friend as he found out...

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

of interest to me is many people who see this video ask; "Why did he turn into deeper water?"

Ofc he did not.. he likely had the wheel cut the opposite direction the truck went.... when your wheels leave the ground hydroplaning.... it does not matter how many wheels are turning, they are doing you no good floating in water.

Once this young man realized the truck was not responding to his inputs, he reduced throttle, but it was too late, the truck was already off the road in deeper water, then..... the front hit the deepest part where the main flow of water was

which is why it suddenly took off to the side.... that was a very slow flow but it was floating the chassis at that point... no way to stop it.

I have explained to others that in any water crossing speed is NEVER your ally. You could have a "6 wheel drive vehicle" and it would do you no good going too fast. As soon as the tires hydroplane, the water has you.

People do not realize that it only takes 6 inches of water flowing at 15 to 20mph to slowly move a vehicle sideways into deeper water... then suddenly it is gone going down the wash... usually tumbling as it goes.

Water is powerful.

Personally I avoid water crossings unless it is only 3 or 4 inches. I own a truck... not a boat :D

But if anyone needs reference on what to do in this situation... A)the depth in this video is rolling the dice since it is close to floating the chassis anyway. (B) 1rst gear... 3000rpm or higher to keep water from back surging through the muffler and stalling the engine. But do NOT exceed approx. 5mph. IF the tires begin to hydroplane at all you will start moving the direction of flow... reduce speed immediately or the vehicle and maybe you are gone.

It is a delicate balance, but experienced folks can do this well by feel.