Spartans Home

That Super Bolt....

Zathrus~SPARTA~

Hello all,

In that lightning sequence I recently posted I captured a "Super Bolt" in one frame.

I was curious as to how large this bolt was. So I did a little research using Google Earth Pro.

Below is the original frame with brightness reduced slightly.

DSC_0109_x264_frame_17364_zpsjhcjpcuy.jp

Below is my research photo with data.

Superbolt%20measurements%20and%20data%20

Note: 900 feet = 274.3 meters. // 6.48 miles = 10.4 kilometers

I also created a negative of the original which is below

CONTRAST%205%20%20%20GAMMA%200.05%20-95%

I think that is a pretty cool looking lightning bolt... :thumbsup:

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

oh the size I have listed is conservative. I spent considerable time ensuring I had the correct mountain profile on google earth before taking measurements. I discovered two possible hill profiles, I chose the closer one to be conservative in measurements. So if anything... I have undersized the measurements.

This storm was discharging lightning more than once per minute, so it built up this monster charge very quickly.

Of interest to some...

This storm cloud was deeply charged to the point it had developed these light and dark vertical lines in the cloud. I am currently studying video of these lines.

It appears, that charged particles of dust in the cloud began to align along lines of flux in the static charge within this cloud, indicating it was very powerful.

These lines preceded the super bolt... and continued after the super bolt.

While Super Bolts are rare, this is the second one I have witnessed since being in this home over the last 4 years. Super Bolts occur at a frequency of approx. 1 in one million lightning bolts.

I am theorizing that the geology of this area provides a good breeding ground for super bolts.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

yeah... that is a huge area out there to search and very rough terrain. However I do plan on exploring these mountains once my back is doing a bit better.

Those mountains have a large park called "Tortolino Mountain Park". There are no roads to it or into it. Only jeep trails plus some hiking trails and it encompasses over 100 square miles.

I also have to get a permit from the state to be using any of those trails. Order form obtained. (it is only $25 per year so no big deal)

I am hoping early next year possibly.... doing some expeditions into those mountains.

I have sent these pictures to some scientists who are studying lightning. There was an immediate response of interest... so this is good :thumbsup:

Nice one mate