Spartans Home

Purchased a 3D Printer

MH6~SPARTA~

Finally broke down and bought a 3D printer. It's just as awesome as I thought it'd be.

I probably went a little overboard though, going straight for the $2250 Lulzbot Taz 6. If I were to buy it again I'd probably go with the $700 Prusa i3 MK2 instead. Still, the Taz 6 is a great printer.

TAZ_6_Angle_Main_Product_Page.png?itok=2

Here's a timelapse video of the T-Rex Skull print. Going to setup a 1080p camera for future timelapse videos.

Some pictures:

wfn1yJm.jpgX4k45iJ.jpg

uhaV6jb.jpgVKHKqLO.jpg

safbqrs.png

Now I just need a CNC router and/or laser cutter. :lol:

Anything and everything.

Mainly it is so I can design and print random parts for my electronics projects. Mounting brackets, hinges, and joints. Cases for the PCB boards I make, etc. I will probably also try doing some artsy stuff with it. A little bit of sanding and some paint can make a 3D print look like a professional piece.

What I currently plan on making:

Cases. Lots and lots of cases of all shapes and sizes for my various projects.

Quadcopter or R/C helicopter (maybe a MH6 even)

Dremel accessories (turn a Dremel into a mini table saw, drill press, router, lathe)

Halloween decorations

Automated pet food dispenser (mainly for the brackets/mounting hardware)

Robotic arm

R/C tank similar to this:

Not to mention all the crap you can fix with it. When some random small, hard to find part breaks, you can just print a new one (within reason).

They are coming out with new materials and composites to print with all the time. You can even get filaments that look like wood or are infused with metal to make prints that look like bronze/copper.

cop2.png

Here is a good site that has a lot of different things you can print: http://www.thingiverse.com

I've had my printer running pretty much non-stop since I bought it. It's awesome.

oh... the envy is high within me!! :allgood:

I have always wanted a 3d printer since their invention.... such a useful thing.

I may commission you for a copper color T-Rex skull someday... as I come close to completing my truck... which is a "Toyotasaraus Rex Edition" (my own Toy FJ mod/creation)

oh... the envy is high within me!! :allgood:

I have always wanted a 3d printer since their invention.... such a useful thing.

I may commission you for a copper color T-Rex skull someday... as I come close to completing my truck... which is a "Toyotasaraus Rex Edition" (my own Toy FJ mod/creation)

Nice, be sure to post pictures of it when its done.

So what's the cheapest you can realistically get into this lark to see if its something that you would turn into a hobby before fining out you wasted $$$$?

Right now I'm saving for the Vive, so I don't really need this distraction but....

For example this thing is peanuts - but I assume you get what u pay for...

http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_343643.html?currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKEAjwkJfABRDnhbPlx6WI4ncSJADMQqxdYeXfGbbYqZjZ06aD5bdJUXk75o659wbbdCx-Qxg48BoC3vDw_wcB

Edited by Rocky

So what's the cheapest you can realistically get into this lark to see if its something that you would turn into a hobby before fining out you wasted $$$$?

Right now I'm saving for the Vive, so I don't really need this distraction but....

For example this thing is peanuts - but I assume you get what u pay for...

http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_343643.html?currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKEAjwkJfABRDnhbPlx6WI4ncSJADMQqxdYeXfGbbYqZjZ06aD5bdJUXk75o659wbbdCx-Qxg48BoC3vDw_wcB

Depends on your budget. I think the best bang for your buck is probably the Original Prusa i3 Mk2 (http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/59-original-prusa-i3-mk2-kit.html) though that comes as a kit (you have to build it). You can also buy a fully assembled one for $200 more. It seems really nice quality for the price and a lot of people love it.

For something a little cheaper, the Maker Select V2 ($329) is an option and very popular, though I can't speak as to the printing quality.

Basically the cheaper it is the more work you may have to put into it to get good results, including sometimes replacing OEM parts with higher quality ones.

Also, see this page: https://www.3dhubs.com/3d-printers

How are you finding it for your diy projects? Have you done anything for your multicopters?

I'm interested in getting a printer. I'm likely going to end up heading up my department's sUAS projects. I figure since we're in the process of applying for a COA, I just got my 107 cert and am putting together a training course for some of our senior officers, and am working on our waiver applications, I might as well consider embracing an sUAS sidehustle, even if just for enjoyment. A 3d printer would obviously be a great tool and I've wanted to delve into it for a while. Don't know anyone personally in the RVA region who has one. I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially on autocad and the process you are using to create custom 3d objects and how accessible that has been. Did you have prior autocad experience?

Edited by Gonzo

How are you finding it for your diy projects? Have you done anything for your multicopters?

I'm interested in getting a printer. I'm likely going to end up heading up my department's sUAS projects. I figure since we're in the process of applying for a COA, I just got my 107 cert and am putting together a training course for some of our senior officers, and am working on our waiver applications, I might as well consider embracing an sUAS sidehustle, even if just for enjoyment. A 3d printer would obviously be a great tool and I've wanted to delve into it for a while. Don't know anyone personally in the RVA region who has one. I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially on autocad and the process you are using to create custom 3d objects and how accessible that has been. Did you have prior autocad experience?

Haven't started working on the quadcopters yet.

I've used CAD and 3d modeling programs before but as this was my first time with Fusion 360 I was basically learning it from scratch. It it a little annoying in some aspects but overall a solid CAD program, and I get it for free since I still have access to my old student e-mail. :graduated:

Basically I whip up a design in Fusion 360, then click the "Make It" button which exports to Cura which controls the printer and prints out the part.

PLA so far has been decent for prototyping parts. I use heat-set brass inserts to add threading to my parts as they are way better than trying to do plastic threading via the 3d printer. You just add a small hole for the insert and then press-fit the insert in with a soldering iron. Bam, perfect threads for your machined screws. http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/3321/=14r3es1

I am switching to PETG next to for slightly higher quality prototypes. It's also a better overall material than PLA, similar to ABS but not as annoying to print (less warping, no odor, etc.). Bought a roll of PETG infused with carbon fiber strands for added strength, going to be trying that out soon too. Supposedly it is fantastic for quadcopter framing.

I've already upgraded my printer to support dual extrusion, so that I can both print in multiple colors, and print with a separate support material. This is useful because if you print in PVA (similar to PLA) or HIPS (similar to ABS), you can then dunk the part in water (PVA) or acetone (HIPS) and those parts will dissolve, letting you create extremely complicated designs that would not be possible with single extrusion printers.

Example: