Spartans Home

Hurricane mathew

Well made it thru anouther hurricane, We had 80 mph winds and 10" of rain, of coarse power went down friday 7:30 am and just got it back at 3:30 today, ran 15 gallons thru the generatior and thank god it was somewhat cool at night, Wow don't want to go thru that again, no dammage to home at all.

I really want out of florida now, tired of it.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Glad to hear you made it through Athlon

I can imagine... my wife has always wanted to live near the beach. However, this has never been something I was interested in.. unless I could be at least 100 feet above sea level and see the beach. (ie. on top of a bluff)

Because you can build a home to withstand some ferocious wind... although there are limits, But it is nearly impossible to build something that can withstand a large storm surge.

Short of something like a concrete pyramid with no exposed windows and footings going deep into the ground might do OK.... but less than that is going to eventually get knocked apart by waves hitting with the force of a car bashing against it for hours again and again. Even very solidly built structures eventually loosen and come apart.

Our storm systems in both the Midwest and the Tropics are demonstrating very powerful storms with unusually long duration. Matthew has shattered the record book regarding how long Hurricanes can remain major hurricanes since historically the data showed and until now they thought the variables involved essentially causes a major hurricane to blow itself out in about 3 days maximum... NOPE! Obviously... that is not true.

F5 tornados that used to be fairly rare are more common now in the Midwest... and many seem to be "long track tornados". The power of the tornados is not near as alarming to me as the fairly abrupt increase

in frequency of very long track tornado's over the last 3 years. This does not bode well.

This is just not a good period to be in the known immediate path of mother natures fury... she is going to surprise us often.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

Wow st augstine got hit hard, if you have ever been there they had 4ft of water down st george st.

Daytona got flooded as well. I was high and dry, we had 80+ mph gusting winds for 4 1/2 hours at midday wicth made it worse rather then if it was at night.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~