Spartans Home

Working on the Fire trucks again

Athlon64~SPARTA~

Shes an old tower and will be auctioned off

Took me 6 hours to lube tower 9, fun. Thanks for the help on posting pics Halli.

Got to pull that outrigger cyclinder Monday, I will use to 50 ton overhead motorized crain in the shop. Shes leaking allright, you can see the oil spot on the skid at bottom.

Our Heavy Rescue

1280_0006344_zpsmmueuwvc.jpg

New Engine 15

261584_350105455100155_645455673_n_zpsyc

New Brush truck we got

10569006_574219339355431_562036031332474

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

fire trucks are pretty cool. I enjoyed big trucks while I worked at Mack Trucks

While I was at the Winnsboro SC plant (before they closed it) they found an old mack fire truck rotting in a field next to town... but the chassis itself was still fairly solid... which is not surprising since the frames on these large trucks were very heavy... especially ones meant to carry water or logs.

So a bunch of the people who worked at the plant got permission to retrieve it, and Mack supplied them with a work stall and all the parts/materials they needed to restore it. But manhours had to be volunteer.... although

they did let quite a bit get done during normal shift hours.....

It was one of these below but this is not the one they restored, but almost identical to the one below. I think this is a late 1930's but I do not remember for sure.

SE_071915_conversations-mack.jpg

The big logging rigs we built while I was at Mack were triple "C" frames "swedgelocked" (same fastener used to mount the wings to a Boeing 747) together creating a very heavy thick frame.

Typically a big logging Tractor with a sleeper also had multi axle drive.. essentially big 4x4's except you had 2 axles driving 8 wheels in the rear plus the front axles driving. Some of these big logger tractors weighed in at close to 17,000 pounds (7,711 Kg).

But they were hauling enormous loads of very large trees out of the back country of the northwest with these trucks in most orders I saw. While I was surprised these things did not just sink and get stuck forever out in that back country, apparently these things would just crawl just about anywhere as long as the mud was less than 1.3 feet deep. In addition, due to the size of loads of tree trunks they were hauling you had to have significant mass to be able to control that load especially on a dirt road.

But I have always admired those big airport fire fighting trucks.... they are actually more like large fire fighting tanks... since the fire fighters can remain in the truck if necessary

until their foam cannon suppresses the flames.

I am sure Athlon can find us some youtube videos of big airport firefighting rigs in action... some of them are huge.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

Well theres several mfgers today. Pierce, Oskosh, Suthpen, E-one, Spartan, Saulsbury, Panther, Farria, kme. Probley a few more, but those are the most popular.

Ya you see a lot of old mack fire trucks still running, used to be the Boardman Co made mack pumpers.

Tower 1 is a 110 ft magnum has 4 front outriggers 2 rear due to its hight has to have 4 front for stablisation due to the extream hight of it. And has a 4" waterway that teloscopes out with the boom and can flow 500 gpm from the platform 3 man bucket, with 2- 21/2" nozzles and has cool spray nozzle to keep bottom of bucket cool wile at a big fire.

Has compressed breathing air and plug ins in the bucket for o2 supplied breathing masks, and 6 man cab

It is one big mutha

• 2 weeks later...

New Tower 7 arrived and we took delevery on this brand new tower

20160825_120305_zpsydmgmycq.jpg

This one has a different bucket attachment system, the waterway is seperate from the fork that holds the bucket, you can see the smooth bore nozzles on eather side of the bucket pointing down,(Dark color tubes) can unscrew the tips off of the nozzle to change the nozzle size for the amount of flow that is wanted up to 2,000 gpm

20160825_120401_zpssgokjec3.jpg