Spartans Home

The Blenheim Boys

DaiSan

• 11 months later...

I saw this video today from Il2 Battle of Stalingrad, It looks amazing and made me want to buy it. To refresh my IL2 abilitites I fired up Cliffs of Dover, but it wouldnt launch, after some research there is a 2.4gb download to fix. I am downloading it but now have second thoughts about buying BoS.

The desire to buy it passed. I need to master what I have. I created a simple Take Off and landing mission for practice. I was useless. I thought go twin engine to avoid the torque. Certainly there was less, but the Blenheim I tried was overweight, taking off from Lympne, (I was lucky the ground just drops away), I still didnt make it. Then the HE 111, that was better, but kept cocking up the landing. Finally I tried an empty Me 110, I managed 2 take offs and landings, 1 with the plane intact and one with a missing elevator. The other problem I have with Il2 in general is that I can barely see the airfields, it would help if there were buildings, in practice there is just grass and dirt. Anyway, I will try to practice a little every day, just for the fun of flying these beautifully detailed planes.

In the Blenni, drop the fuel down to 30%, that will get you to France and back, and for takeoff 100%Rads, 100% Prop and 110% Throttle. No Flaps and don't pull up too hard once airborne. Let the speed build to above 160mph then Pitch to 0% and Rads to 50% and she will fly all day.

I originally created my practice map at Lympne, on the coast. But it was a grass field. The Blenheim I picked was overweight. But I could not move the fuel slider or dump the weapons. On take off, I went beyond the airfield, past a gap between the trees and a hangar, the ground sloped down away from me, but she still wouldnt lift off.

Biggin Hill has longer runways and they are tarmac/concrete. If I figure out how to lighten the planes I will try the Blenheim, but I have managed to take off in other planes, even landed a few, but the landings are very poor, not on the runway, but within the airfield perimeter. Finally the planes tend to do a twirl near the end of the rollout, lol. I cant say these feel like controlled landings. But I will practice a bit every day and will hopefully improve.

I want to do this because the planes are beautiful inside and out.

When I was picking the plane for the practice mission, I saw the Beaufighter, but I was dissappointed to find it was only an AI plane.