Spartans Home

um... ok Putin has gone completely insane....

Zathrus~SPARTA~

I am sure you guys have heard about the two Russian Jets that buzzed one of our missile destroyers today (04/13/2016)

This picture below says it all...

160413-baltic-sea-russian-helix-mdl_e6ca

I am unsure what the Russians are trying to accomplish here... but this is playing with fire. Really... we are very lucky two Russian jets were not shot down today. This is reckless at best.

friggin unbelievable.....

Here is the video the photo above was extracted from....

This is really dumb... and very dangerous.

This is a friggin missile boat... it probably watched them from the time they took off from their base... once they realized those two jets were on an intercept vector with their ship... we are very lucky that ship did not blow them out of the sky.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

it does make me wonder what our capabilities are.... it does suggest that somehow our destroyer knew the aircraft were unarmed... because I think standard protocol would be to fire on a perceived threat at about 50 miles range.

So somehow... this ship knew they were not a threat......

Russian pilots rattled nerves aboard the destroyer Donald Cook, buzzing within yards of the ship in the Baltic Sea. Provocative, sure. But they weren't a credible threat.So concludes a retired Navy commanding officer, who reviewed photos and videos from the run-ins on Monday and Tuesday, when unarmed Sukhoi Su-24 fighters flew within 1,000 feet of the ship — once coming as close as 30 feet in what U.S. officials called "simulated attacks." On Monday, a low-flying Russian Ka-27 Helix helicopter also appeared to take photos of the ship. This was definitely provocative, but it doesn't amount to a threat, said the retired frigate and cruiser CO. "Well, we’re not at war with Russia," Capt. Rick Hoffman said. "It would be one thing to be operating and have a threatening attack profile from someone who might not recognize me — that’s not the case here." If you have visual identification of the jet, can see it isn't carrying weapons, and don't detect any electronic emissions suggesting there was a missile lock on the ship, there's nothing to be done. "You don’t get to kill people just because they’re being annoying," said Hoffman, who commanded frigate DeWert and cruiser Hue City. Cruisers are the fleet's foremost air defense platform and are tasked with guarding flattops from incoming threats.

There's a possibility that the "simulated attack" might violate a 1973 treaty between the U.S. and Russia that deals with this behavior.

Otherwise, Hoffman added, it just amounts to showboating.

"Only in 'Top Gun' does a war suddenly break out between two airplanes that is completely not related to something going on ashore," he said.

To be sure, the rules might be different in another situation. The Baltic Sea is not a contested area of responsibility.

"We would probably not have accepted that from an Iranian aircraft in the Persian Gulf, although we’ve seen it," Hoffman said.

Or if it had been a civilian aircraft, he added, the CO would have been more on guard for a potential suicide mission. But the likelihood that a rogue Russian pilot would take a shot at an American ship and then try to fly home through the airspace of multiple NATO partners is very low.

It's more likely that the stunt will end up as a public relations tool for Russian President Vladimir Putin, showing force against the Americans operating in his backyard.

"It would be real interesting to see what shows up in the Russian papers in the morning, how they play it," Hoffman said. "It's not that different from North Korea. He does something and then he plays it domestically however he needs to play it for the purposes of getting his people energized."

well it is a dangerous game the US and Russia are playing here. I am alarmed, because there is great potential for someone to make a miscalculation in this type of situation. We know from history, that when two opposing military's begin mingling too closely together... bad things can happen unexpectedly. Neither side wants it to happen... but a lot of "friction" can occur sparking combustible situations...... is the best analogy I can think of.

Obviously once they got there and we could visually see them, we could see they were unarmed. My previous point was as those two came in at fairly high speed... 50 miles away we could not have known visually from the ship that they were unarmed, yet it seemed to me they knew.

Although your correct in these situations both sides tend to be very slow to pull a trigger. Everyone knows it is a dangerous game with high stakes... nobody wants to be the one that does something stupid escalating something from sabre rattling into an armed conflict.

I was just wondering how good our satellite/global hawk/etc. surveillance is? Just kind of wondering out loud if they knew they were unarmed from the very start. If they didn't... there were a few officers on that ship holding their breath that they were right and it was just a fly over. Your fairly certain that is all it is... but really you do not know for sure.

to add.. I am a bit concerned the US may have pushed a little harder than we should have in this situation. The last flyover was abnormal in that the jet did turn into the ship coming within 30 feet of it. This is a significant escalation of sabre rattling in my mind.... we needed to do something, but perhaps current exercises in the Baltic are a bit too much. I just don't want something dumb to start some kind of conflict.... even an additional political conflict is not going to help this situation... we need the world to calm a bit.

Yeh I also read that this type of thing has been going on for years, it's only the advent of the "instant news" world that we live in now thanks to the internet that's made the general public aware of such events - the military are used to it now though.

Great viewing for us though!

Yeh I also read that this type of thing has been going on for years, it's only the advent of the "instant news" world that we live in now thanks to the internet that's made the general public aware of such events - the military are used to it now though.

Well this has been happening a long time is true. I can remember numerous incidents in the late 1960's onward to present day. The USA and Russia have buzzed each other periodically. But this week had one major difference.

In the past, all of these flyovers by both sides, remain more than 200 feet from a ship, and as a jet approaches the ship closely they typically begin turning away (at least slightly) from the ship. This turning away is a message.. I am not a threat... just messing with you.

The ship being there is inflammatory... everyone knows this so we expect things like aircraft buzzing ships. But what happened this week is quite different from what one would expect.

This week, as they approached, they turned into the ship with one jet passing only 30 feet above the ship's bow (first photo I posted). This is a very aggressive move. This is displaying aggression in place of the normal "ok I am turning away to let you know I am just screwing with you". it also puts both the ship and the aircraft at risk if the pilot makes a mistake missing a ship by only 30 feet at what I am certain is over 350mph. At that speed, as you know, twitching wrong could have hit the ship.

We are very lucky the commander of that ship, had all his ship defenses off completely. If he had instead decided to put his ship defenses on a "safer mode" which greatly reduces the distance something must approach to before they will engage instead of OFF, those auto radar guided guns & missiles would have blown him out of the sky as he passed over their bow if not sooner. It is just really reckless to do something like that to a warship. Taking things to that level invites something bad to happen.

Obviously the Commander of the US Destroyer knows his position is a bit inflammatory... so he has essentially disarmed the ship and turned almost everything off. That not only reduces his threat signature, it also makes it impossible for the Russians to record any of those defense systems in action with various radar and control systems activating... with about everything off except his navigation radar... he is just a big funny looking boat.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

Well this has been happening a long time is true. I can remember numerous incidents in the late 1960's onward to present day. The USA and Russia have buzzed each other periodically. But this week had one major difference.

In the past, all of these flyovers by both sides, remain more than 200 feet from a ship, and as a jet approaches the ship closely they typically begin turning away (at least slightly) from the ship. This turning away is a message.. I am not a threat... just messing with you.

They where not messing. How close would US planes fly if they have corvette or cruiser 70 km away from Pearl , San Diego or Norfolk?

It was very spectacular way to show we are getting too close for their comfort.

The ship being there is inflammatory... everyone knows this so we expect things like aircraft buzzing ships. But what happened this week is quite different from what one would expect.

Obviously the Commander of the US Destroyer knows his position is a bit inflammatory...

So, everyone know its going to be problem but still pretend we get "upset" about it?.

When you get to bar, get drunk, start fight then complain you get bruised.... come one.

...if the pilot makes a mistake missing a ship by only 30 feet at what I am certain is over 350mph. At that speed, as you know, twitching wrong could have hit the ship.

lol

come on

hmmm... no you misunderstand Peter.

Buzzing is not the problem... this is expected. Everyone does it. But there are protocols for it... and rules that control conduct in such situations which the USA & Russia both created together many years ago to prevent unintended incidents.

"Turning into the ship" is a violation of these rules, it is also against the previous 40 years of established protocols. Turning into a ship was established as too dangerous for both the ship and the aircraft by both Russia and the USA long ago when they established these rules. This is because turning into the ship could be misunderstood as a real attack and the ship's auto defense cannons could incidentally shoot it down if the ship commander has not shut all of that off.

This is why they got upset... not because they buzzed them.

A little while back a conspiracy theory friend of mine told me a story about a US destroyer having all of its electronics disabled by a russian aircraft. Curious, I looked into it, the ship was an Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer, USS Donald Cook. I have no idea if the ship was really disabled, the truth is that on April 12th 2014, whilst operating in the black sea, the Donald Cook was buzzed by an unarmed SU24 12 times. What a coincidence.

yes... buzzing ships is pretty common....and not considered threatening... it is a statement.

But that is only true when you follow the established protocols.

Zeno, I can only say that if a guided missile destroyer was totally disabled by a Russian jet, I do not think they would keep sending them back there. It is possible I suppose... but very unlikely.

If they felt something was being disabled into being defenseless, they would send a different kind of ship next time.

It is interesting they have chosen this ship to be the whipping post.

• Like 1

What the USA need is an almighty big Microwave beam and fry the electronics on the flight path in.... A bit like shining a bright torch at a moth....

and let Putin and Co. work out what happened? Whoops Did we leave our microwave door open again ?

Invisible but deadly, alternately they could just release a big fart cloud and see how good Russian pilots are at flying through zero visibility shit @ 0 feet ALT.

Pesky Russians.

• Like 1