Spartans Home

2016 is year of VR which one are you getting?

Rocky

So Sony announced their VR headset will be about £350, the HTC Vive for Steam is about £650, and then there's oculus.

Anyone clued up on this yet? Which is going to be the best, and what kind of rig does the PC gear need?

Walk around sounds really cool on the vive

http://www.cnet.com/products/htc-vive-review/

Edited by Rocky

Its great fun actually, we had a blast with the VR apps, pretending to be on a roller coaster while sitting in a swivel chair is really cool.

So cool, it does make me want to step up.

I just ran the nvidia test though, I'd also need to shell out for a new GPU, so the whole deal is almost 4 figures now....

I sold my Oculus Rift on Ebay. I got a free consumer one for Kickstarting it a few years back. Going to either buy an HTC Vive in a few months time or just wait and buy Version 2 of whichever model wins this year's VR race.

VR looks like fun, but as far as content, it's mostly just tech demos right now. There aren't a whole lot of fully fleshed out games that utilize VR well in my opinion. They're basically all just mini-games.

Hmmm stuff like this makes me want to pony up right now!!

The best VR game i have played. So immersive i felt as if i was Alex and i just started the most EPIC adventure. Great voice acting and story telling. The best thing i have done in gaming in along time. This is what i wanted from VR. i cant wait for ep2!!!!!! 10/10

http://store.steampowered.com/app/270130/

• 2 weeks later...

Short on time? SKIP this one and go to my next post...

Awesome, just awesome.

At the parts where there is a seat in the game, I can totally imagine me forgetting I'm in a game a falling on my ass. VR and full 3D, with room walking, SOLD.

Edited by Rocky

I was only saying to Cent the other day that when walking around the top parts of the mining rig I have built in Space Engineers I get a real sense of vertigo I think HTC Vive would scare the crap out of me impressive indeed.

• Like 1

I am not surprised, the only thing stopping me is I really have to have a game I would be interested playing to get it with, at the moment I still have a lot of interest in WOT and Space Engineers.

• 1 year later...

So I did eventually get the Vive, had it for a few months now, must have about 90 games in the VR library lol. Lots of free stuff and sub £5 stuff. Only paid for a few that were £15 or more.

Anyone else get a Vive? Would be good to have a spartan to swap stories with!

I got the Vive when it came out. I only used it about a week though. It's just too much of a hassle to work with, and I don't have a lot of empty room near my computer tower. There was also the issue with it being new and not having a lot of VR titles to play.

There is an insane amount of content now MH6, and I would guess around 20 titles that are rate overwhelmingly positive on steam that are pretty much "must haves". Right now I would say that VR games are entering the next phase, where we are getting proper games that look just fantastic, and have decent longevity.

You do need a decent space to use it granted, for room scale anyway, luckily I have a 4m x 3m space that works out just great.

There are plenty of seated titles too though, although room scale is really awesome. I totally understand frustration around lack of space though.

The only hastle I have is the cable to the headset, but later this year there will be a wireless adaptor, I am so pumped for that, it will help immersion so much not to be tethered to the PC.

I nearly bought one in January but went with a widescreen monitor. Now I see they work well with Flight sims I use (with a flyinside as well as leap motion, which shows your hands), I think 2018 will be the year of VR for me.

Yeh flight simmers love VR, I downloaded one on steam, can;t recall the name it was a proper flight sim from a Russian dev team, but it wasn't dev'd for VR and I found it just waaay to difficult to get in to.

Elite Dangerous is just the most immersive VR experience you could wish for. I am on the verge of shelling out for the flight controllers that are actually modelled in game and giving ED a new, concentrated run through.

I love how you can also use voice commands in ED and the ship actually talks back to you, the voice packs even have William Shatner on board. Very cool.

If you wait until 2018 you will also have wireless headsets and new "glove" like controllers with finger tip control.

Edited by Rocky

Was the Sim DCS world, free to play and has VR support?

I havent played Elite Dangerous for a while, but Floyd has been. Certainly if I get a VR headset I will be all over Elite Dangerous. If your still playing when I do get back into it we should get together.

• 4 months later...

I'm back with more VR stories.

Well one.

I've 150 VR games now - and the one I actually can't wait to get home and play - Alien Isolation! Just drop a dll file into the install directory and the original game is playable in VR - and it is absolutely stunning. And Scary.

Hope some of you guys jump on the VR experience soon....