Spartans Home

AMG's attempt to beat the Porsche 911

Zeno~SPARTA~

When Jaguar built the F type it was squarely aimed at Porsche, it was a nice try, but no cigar. On the road and track Porsche is better, but the Jag is a lot of Fun. Mercedes decided it was their turn to tilt at the Porsche with their AMG GT S.

It has a new a front mid engined 4 litre twin turbo V8. It has a dry sump for a low center of gravity and a rear getrag double clutch 7 speed gearbox for better weight distribution. In its S form it produces over 500 BHP. Its is clothed in a really good looking body but it has an unnecessarily long bonnet, maybe they are leaving room for a V12. These front engined GT cars are my sort of car and although it doesnt beat the Porsche it is a really fantastic attempt and a truly great car.

PS These are two new Top Gear presenters

I think Mercedes have surpassed BMW over the last few years, exciting performance, great exterior design and incredibly good looking interiors (possibly the best). The BMW M scalpels all need sharpening. The only BMW that excites me at the moment is the I8. But then I think the plug in petrol electric sports car is the future (I cant bring myself to call them hybrids).

hehe... yes the Tesla's with this new "Insane mode" button which allows full torque to all 4 wheels is incredible. I think it will probably kill a lot of people though... in a city... an inexperienced driver may go for some fun with this insane mode button, not realizing he is going to exceed 60mph in less than a city block...

As far as that GT S AMG... I have only driven one AMG Mercedez in my life many years ago, and I have to admit, even then it was a very solid and confidence building chassis they built.

I can imagine this one is amazing to drive.

Does anyone know if the Corvette Z07 configured properly now beats the 911?

Ah! well then Chevrolet has finally truly made the Corvette what it was always supposed to be...

But they spent about 30 years screwing around with the Corvette before they seem to have finally gotten it there.

Considering it's price, I am guessing the C7 Z06 is popular in Europe. I just looked at the specs.... that is insane performance for $80K to $95K.

I saw one go past me on the interstate a week or two ago. I knew by the sound it was a V8 producing a lot of HP... but I had no idea it was 650HP... it did sound sweet to the ear.

It was just purring along at low rpm at about 85mph. I am very glad to see they have gotten it up to par on a skid pad for track handling with that kind of HP.

Beating a porsche on a track is not the only measure, there was an earlier Corvette that was an excellent track car but awful on the road. Porsche manage to come up with a really good compromise. Having said that even the base C7 Corvette is very good.

Unfortunately its not a bargain in Europe, a base C7 costs $92,000 with no options, on top of that you have to pay another $10,000 eco tax. In the US the same car costs $58,000. So in the States its a bargain over here not so much.