Spartans Home

NAS options

Pringle~SPARTA~

I've noticed recently that my current storage has nearly reached it's max. Instead of cramming more drives into my one tower, I figure it's time to jump on the NAS bandwagon. But, I've not a clue what's good and what isn't. Teach me, guide me, lead me, oh wise ones. My budget is a bit low, however. A few hundred max.

Well, balling on a budget does limit options some.

1. Utilizing mostly hardware you already have, I would say going with something like "FreeNAS" would keep your price point the lowest. I believe there members here who use and preach this approach.
  2. I personally have a Synology 411j and can't recommend their equipment enough. It can be as simple or as complicated as you want to get with it. Their enclosures can be pricey, though, and they don't come with drives.
  3. There are other vendors in the same realm as Synology that may offer cheaper alternatives. I have heard good things about Drobo and Qnap, but don't have personal experience with them nor about their pricing

You really have to consider what all capabilities you'd like, how large you want to start, how much future capacity expansion you'd like, and then align those within your budget.

well.. if cost is the primary concern.... I cheated... and it works pretty well.

I bought a Netgear WNDR3700 V3 router a couple of years ago.

It comes with a usb 3.0 port ready for either a network printer... or network storage.

I just plugged a really big external drive into it... set the access and my NAS was born.

Most newer high end routers come with this capability built in as far as I know.

Some may even have more than one usb port at this point. I have not checked.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

Hmm I have an old netgear, a western digital for work (6 bay) and a mybook from western digital.

Depends on what you want. mybook is a single drive, so no sensetive old photo's on that alone (its my media server for music and films)

The netagear is outdated but still holds its pace well enough for an occasional movie, but mostly used for foto's and word docs for the kids (before the box time)

the western digital is about 700 euro's ex disks...

You could start of with a 4 bay, and put 2 cheap disks in for starters, later put 2 better drives next to them and copy everything, and later move on to 4 good disks. (though the pricing of good and lesser disks hardly differs anymore)

You could even put two old disks in for a start (I still have some 500 gig drives laying idle) as long as they are sata..

Edited by Forrester~SPARTA~

Well the WNDR3700 I purchased on sale for $99. It is normally $200.

It sets up storage devices automatically for you, then allows you to setup permissions.

Basic help section on my router for installing network storage

USB Storage (Basic Settings) Help

NOTE:This page shows your current USB Storage settings, to Edit any of settings shown, or to create a new Network Folder, click Edit

Network/Device Name

Is the name used to access the Router from your Laptop/PC. The Network/Device Name shown in the Router Web GUI can either be clicked to immediately access the storage or can be entered into a web browser e.g //readyshare.

Available Network Folders Table

This table shows all the Network Folders currently available and configured on the Router:

Folder Name : Full path of the used by the Network Folder
Volume Name : Volume name from the storage device (either USB drive or HDD)
Total/Free Space : Shows the current utilization of the storage device
Share Name : The Name shown in the Router Web GUI can either be clicked to immediately access the storage or can be entered into a web browser e.g//readyshare/photos.If 'Not Shared' is shown then the default share has been deleted and no other share for the root folder exists. Click the link to change this setting.
Read/Write Access : Shows the permissions/access controls on the Network Folder:
All - no password allows all users to access the Network Folder
admin will prompt for users to provide the same username and password used to access the Router Web GUI

Edit Button

Click to Edit any of settings shown, or to create a new Network Folder

Safely Remove USB Device Button

Click to Safely Remove either one or all of the USB devices attached to your Router

Refresh Button

Click to Refresh the page, helpful if you have just connected a new USB device

The advanced help section for installing network storage

USB Storage (Advanced Settings) Help

NOTE:This page is for advanced users only. The router will automatically setup your USB storage device when it is connected.

Network/Device Name

Is the name used to access the Router from your Laptop/PC.

Workgroup

Is the Workgroup name used by the Router.

Access Method Table

This table shows the different ways the Network Folders can be accessed

Note : By default only Network Connection and HTTP are enabled

Access Method : Lists the methods available
Network Connection : This uses UNC paths e.g\\readyshare\\photos
HTTP : This can be accessed by a web browser
HTTP (Internet) : This can be accessed by a web browser on the internet
FTP : This allows the access from a FTP client on your home network
FTP (Internet) : This allows the access from a remote FTP client on the Internet
Status : Defines for each Access Method if its enabled or disabled
Link : For each Access Method, the Link shown can either be clicked to immediately access the storage or can be entered into a web browser
Port : For the internet protocols e.g HTTP/FTP the Port is shown, and for the internet Access Methods e.g HTTP/FTP (via internet) this can be customised.

Apply Button

Click the Save any changes made to this page

Available Network Folders Table

This table shows all the Network Folders currently available and configured on the Router:

Folder Name : Full path of the used by the Network Folder
Volume Name : Volume name from the storage device (either USB drive or HDD)
Total/Free Space : Shows the current utilisation of the storage device
Share Name : The Name shown in the Router Web GUI can either be clicked to immediately access the storage or can be entered into a web browser e.g //readyshare/photos. If 'Not Shared' is shown then the default share has been deleted and no other share for the root folder exists.
Read/Write Access : Shows the permissions/access controls on the Network Folder:
All - no password allows all users to access the Network Folder
admin will prompt for users to provide the same username and password used to access the Router Web GUI

Edit Button

By selecting the required Network Folder and clicking Edit the details for that Network folder can be changed.

Folder : Click Browse and navigate the folder tree to select the drive or sub folder to share
Share Name : The friendly name seen when connecting to the Network Folder
Read Access : Defines the read access
Write Access : Defines the write access

Create Network Folder

Click to create a new Network Folder

USB Device : Select from the drop down list which device you will be sharing
Folder : Click Browse and navigate the folder tree to select the drive or sub folder to share
Share Name : The friendly name seen when connecting to the Network Folder
Read Access : Defines the read access
Write Access : Defines the write access

Safely Remove USB Device Button

Click to Safely Remove either one or all of the USB devices attached to your Router

Apply Button

Click the Save any changes made to this page

Refresh Button

Click to Refresh the page, helpful if you have just connected a new USB device

It does not appear to me there is a limit to the number of devices installing in this manner since a USB hub on that router port would allow you to attach many drives.

The Router is going to detect and set up each drive you plug into it.

It is actually pretty sweet setup. I have not checked current ones, as I said this one is more than 2 years old.

was in the same situation Pringle, and i didnt always want to power up my pc to access things, went down the same route as JHunter and picked up a Synology (414).

i think NAS hardware is overpriced considering you get a low spec machine i think this is dual core 1.33GHZ with 1GB ram, but hey that's good enough for what it does, it is just expensive if you compare it to a PC. then you will spend a fair amount on hard drives, i coughed up for 4x3TB WD Reds, friggen closed my eyes when i clicked purchase haha, but they have a 5 year warranty at least.

benefits over a windows box for example for me is that that it looks after itself and i don't have to install, configure, update, manage it etc,

all the stuff that you want like remote access, or access via android app is all setup using a couple of clicks, web server, FTP, cloud, itunes server, bittorrent, vpn, wordpress, email server, plex server, all these cool little apps all built in or downloadable from the synology app centre, auto PC backup, DLNA.... my TV picks up the NAS on the network and plays .mkv files straight off the NAS, no media PC needed anymore. need to share some stuff?? right click on the file and it will generate a link to share, all dead easy.

im just a big fan of the OS and functionality.

heard great things about FreeNAS but never used it (last i heard, it can take some setting up)

other software to use on own hardware : http://lifehacker.com/what-operating-system-should-i-use-for-my-diy-home-serv-1671385076

you can even use the synology OS on your own hardware its called XPEnology some peeps use it with HP microservers http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5406-run-synology-diskstation-on-your-microserver/

HP Microservers seem to be pretty highly regarded in terms of price / performance / size terms http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/HP_MicroServer_N40L_Wiki https://www.avforums.com/threads/hp-proliant-microserver-n40l-owners-thread.1534144/ they are usually around £100 on a regular cash back offer with HP, they have finally got to the Gen 8 microservers which look pretty good to http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/?p=62151 . most seem to upgrade the ram and also add hard drives. example of deal and useful user comments further down the page: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-proliant-gen8-g1610t-microserver-179-99-ebuyer-119-99-after-cashback-2177468

https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/2wfvpn/help_with_nas_decision_synology_disk_station_on/

friend uses a WD external drive that has MYCloud functionality, and that suits him fine (backing up docs and photos). http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1140

hope that's some food for thought

There are many ways to do it now really. Your correct Panic, having decent management software is pretty important if you are storing and managing a lot of data.

But today there are just a lot of different ways to achieve it, depending how you want to use it and how often, how many people are saving to it.

For me and the wife at home, a network drive on my router has worked great so far. But it is pretty bare bones. But I was able to create that with hardware I had laying around unused at the time so it was very cost effective.

I may try adding some decent management software per Panic's suggestion.