Spartans Home

Starting anew in Elite Dangerous

Zeno~SPARTA~

If you are just starting out in Elite dangerous this 5 part video series will give you a path that will make money reasonably quickly. You dont need to do everything he says and dont put yourself under any pressure to get the bigger ships and remember to vary your play to avoid getting bored. If you need any help in game let me know and I will do my best to assist you.

Almost went for the steam sale version until I read the reviews, 9.99 for what seems to be the now out of date original Elite Dangerous version. Many suggesting that without Horizons at £40 it's pointless. Is this correct?

I am not a salesman for Frontier Developments and have no agenda. The discounted elite dangerous on steam is the same as the game I play but without the Horizons addon. So if you buy Elite:Dangerous you get everything that I have been doing for the last year for a tenner. Horizons adds a planetary landing suite to the ships allowing you to go down to the planet surface of certain airless moons/planets and drive around in an SRV. If you buy E:D for a tenner there is no downside, you'll get hours of frustration/fun/learning for little money.

If you buy Horizons there is a possibility you wont even like E:D and you will have wasted the extra money. E:D will release an addon every year and I imagine Horizons will be discounted next year. Furthermore when E:D release an addon it has a development program for the year ahead (another way of saying its incomplete on release) so if you wait a year you get the fully developed addon for less money, while still having the complete initial realease to play. People with base game can play in the same instance as people with the addons, they just cannot descend to the planets surface.

I bought a discounted second copy of E:D just for long range exploring.

So to sum up, E:D is a lot of game for a tenner, if you decide you like the game you can get Horizons later, if not, you havent lost a lot.

• Like 1

You make a good point regarding the potential waste if money on horizon, if it turns out I don't like the game.

I think what threw me was the overwhelming negativity in the reviews, I had to scroll through two pages to get anything positive and I've never seen that level of response before.

Out of interest, why did you need a second game to explore, are you tied to your character from the start, are there no options to change?

I may take the plunge if it's still on sale, just need to consider my PC capabilities. It meets the minimum comfortably but there I'd no option for upgrading, so there is some performance risk involved.

You only have one character, so if I do long range exploring I will be unable to quickly return to join in activities with other players. The save is server side, there is an option to wipe the character and start again which I did early on having screwed up too many times.

I doubt your pc would struggle with this game, mine doesn't and I haven't upgraded in years.

More than a couple of people we know have tried it and dont like it, so maybe that would be the case for you. Like I said I dont want to push the game onto people, if you do choose to buy it I will gladly give you a few pointers.

It may be academic now but following a disc drive failure on my main PC, I was obliged to fall back to my old PC until I can buy a new drive and rebuild it. I am playing Elite Dangerous on a PC I built in 2007 which in its day was reasonably tasty but is definately passed it now.

CPU Q6850 3ghz

8 gb ram

Nvidia 480GTX

So far I have encountered no problems.

ED is a great game for £10 I payed more and don't regret it at. I stopped playing because I preferred other games not because ED is poor.

I decided not to go for it in the end, more down to cash priorities then anything else but I may be tempted if it pops up in future sales.

My PC is around the same specs do at least that worry is put to bed.

I'll stick to War Thunder for now.

Edited by Watchman~SPARTA~

Custard, tbh I stopped playing for a while. But when I came back to it I had a renewed enthusiasm. The thing is I have a mindset that suits this game, after all I play Flight simulator (FSX, Xplane, IL2), Eurotruck simulator and now farming simulator, and they dont bore me. You werent the only one to stop playing though, I can think of 4 others off the top of my head, so its definately not for everyone.

Fair enough Watchman, there'll be plenty of opportunites in the future to buy this game at a discount.