Spartans Home

Why there is no such thing as an old bold pilot

Zathrus~SPARTA~

Hello all,

I came across this video that illustrates that even though the number crunching says this will work.... the equations are not perfect and taking

things right to the limit is advised against.

This pilot, just figured out why, even though he had a powerful aircraft, one should NEVER try to push against the outer edges of an aircraft's flight envelope.

If there had not been a narrow gap in the trees for him to fly through, they were going to crash very hard.

I like his statement "Experience is a very difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and the lesson afterward, unfortunately some lessons in aviation are not survivable"

These pilots had done their homework and done the calculations, the numbers said, this plane could take off from this runway... barely.

Most pilots will not use their aircraft at it minimum capabilities for take off. Most require significant margins or they simply will not use the airport.

These two pilots I think discovered why most pilots add 25% or more for safety margins when doing take off calculations.

The only reason this takeoff succeeded is this pilot, realizing the calculations were extremely marginal against him... resisted doing what I am sure every fiber in his body was telling him to do, pull up to miss those trees.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

I would encourage anyone who is thinking about getting a pilot's license, or already has one to watch this guy's vids.

His channel is full of very practical good lessons for young pilots.

This man will save many young inexperienced pilot's lives if they will pay attention and learn the lessons.

Here is another of his videos, it is 8 minutes long but is shows at least three very important lessons

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~