Spartans Home

This is not looking good for VW

Zathrus~SPARTA~

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.. Since VW's plan to reprogram their diesels to meet emissions standards has been rejected for numerous reasons..... VW is now looking at just buying back all the cars here in the USA.

The plan they submitted in Court yesterday will cost them about $1 billion just for car repairs/buy backs here in the USA.

VW has currently set aside $7.5 billion right now for repairs/buybacks. They indicated yesterday they will likely have to increase that to $10 billion. This only covers the cars, this does not cover the fines.

In the USA each fine is calculated based on the car's retail value. They are fined on a per car basis. I did a rough calculation and if they fine them $30K per car (this is likely a low number), at 500K cars that = another $15 billion in fines.

Then there is Europe... which has almost 5 times as many of these TDI's... yeah the math does not look good for them.

So really, the repairs or buybacks alone are going to be a crushing blow for VW to absorb financially. The fines could in fact jeopardize their ability to survive. No government is going to kill a company that employs that many people, but they are likely going to take them very close to the edge as punishment for such blatant law breaking.

I think VW is going to take a financial beating from hell in the coming months.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

Haven't Mitsubishi admitted Japanese only models have been cheating?

VW in Europe have already agreed with the authorities how to compensate diesel owners and it's absolutely nothing as far as I understand it, we (Europe inc UK well until we leave lol) do have very different laws to the US.

yes different, but I seriously doubt it will be nothing.

for one thing... folks are going to get really irritated if they learn VW purchased the majority of the vehicles back in the USA and do nothing for customers in Europe.

Also, I have hard time believing the European pollution monitoring agencies will be ignoring the blatant nature of this law violation (ie the pre-planning that went into it).

This is why the hammer will be dropped here... for sure. The EPA is furious and looking for blood.

Emissions Standards here have been violated several times by US automakers. Each time, the penalties were increased and the willingness to "look the other way" on business damaging fine potentials has decreased.

They are trying to send the message it is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. European environmental protection agencies are not going to pretend nothing happened here. They have just not decided yet.

The "reprogramming originally approved in Germany for instance is already receiving large numbers of complaints as the fuel economy on the 2.0L TDI has dropped radically and the power has also dropped on some others.

This will likely end up rejected in Europe just like it was in the USA (Same Reason: you cannot change the fuel management that much without losing power, or fuel economy... or both)

While I am sure it looked great on paper and why in Europe it gained quick approval as a means to quickly remove polluting engines from the highways... The performance and fuel economy of these vehicles is not going to be what VW sold the customer... in some cases it may be radically different, this is why they are buying many of them back here.

• 2 months later...

Ok, the closed door meetings we talked about earlier have now occurred.

This is in my opinion exactly as expected. The EPA has initialized a penalty that will force everyone to "sit up and take notice" that this type of thing is not going to be tolerated.

Yet they have protected VW's core business to protect jobs.

They have essentially forced VW to buy all of them back if the owners desire this, or repair them for free. They have hit them with $4 Billion in fines with 2 billion going directly into "zero emission research".

Volkswagen's diesel emissions settlement will cost the German automaker $14.7 billion, a person briefed on the settlement talks said Monday, but does not resolve all the legal issues stemming from its admission that nearly a half million vehicles with 2-liter diesel engines were programmed to turn on emissions controls during government lab tests and turn them off while on the road.

The figure represents the largest auto scandal settlement in U.S. history. The deal sets aside $10 billion to repair or buy back roughly 475,000 polluting Volkswagen vehicles.

Full article here http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/final-tally-vw-s-diesel-emissions-settlement-15-billion-n600146

I am quite pleased with how this was done. It has sent a strong message, protected the consumer and is forcing them to put 2 billion dollars into research to produce better less polluting engines.

Ok, the closed door meetings we talked about earlier have now occurred.

This is in my opinion exactly as expected. The EPA has initialized a penalty that will force everyone to "sit up and take notice" that this type of thing is not going to be tolerated.

Yet they have protected VW's core business to protect jobs.

They have essentially forced VW to buy all of them back if the owners desire this, or repair them for free. They have hit them with $4 Billion in fines with 2 billion going directly into "zero emission research".

Full article here http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/final-tally-vw-s-diesel-emissions-settlement-15-billion-n600146

I am quite pleased with how this was done. It has sent a strong message, protected the consumer and is forcing them to put 2 billion dollars into research to produce better less polluting engines.

Boss owns a diesel VW. We were talking about it a while back, and they did indeed offer to buy it back or repair it for free. Obviously "repairing" in this case means making it perform worse to get better emissions. Don't think he's decided, but he's probably going to just keep the one he has. If we were in California or something it'd be a different story.

• 1 year later...

Interesting how this has continued to snowball as I feared in the beginning... simply reprogramming the engines in the manner necessary creates a huge list of new problems.

From BBC:

The diesel emissions cheating scandal will cost Volkswagen an extra $3bn (€2.5bn), because engines are proving "far more technically complex and time consuming" to adapt the company said.

The additional cost, for fixing engines in the United States, takes the total bill to $30bn.

Two years after the problems first emerged, Volkswagen is still struggling to put the crisis behind it.

Separately Munich prosecutors made an arrest in connection with the scandal.

German media reports have named the person taken into custody as Wolfgang Hatz, former board member at VW unit Porsche. However there has been no official confirmation of his identity.

Mr Hatz was head of Research and Development at VW-owned Porsche and had held other roles in the VW group, including in engine development at Audi. He was suspended after the diesel emissions test-cheating was exposed. He then left the company.

Last year Porsche said no evidence had been found against him.

full article here: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41442834

hindsight is 20/20 but I think in the end they are going to find it would have been cheaper to just buy them all back, crush them, and sell them back to the steel mills.

Because even as these costs pile up, the work they are doing also creates lots of new "warranty liability" for them on the ones they are trying to fix.

They will have to warranty for some period all of the work and the systems affected by their work... which is the engine + it's control system, transmission + it's control system, etc. etc. and they are all fairly expensive

parts to be replacing free of charge if something blows up.

If they had just built replacements at an average cost of $35,000 each and they needed to replace 780,000 cars... that would have cost them $27billion. That is before they get the scrap payout from all those cars.which would be significant and would further reduce that total cost.... but hindsight is 20/20.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~