Spartans Home

Serious Note

Krambo

Hi all,

well I have told you about my job before but basically a new job has come up within my authority and the money is real good. This job is just maternity cover but it will be fantastic experience and it is where I would like to be working anyway. (currently working in housing and council tax benefits)

I can return to my old job once the cover is up which is good.

Right bascially its a Operations and support officer in our councils IT section. Im happy with most of what they are asking as they want people with knowlegde of XP and Microsoft Office apps which I have.

Its basically helping with hardware/software upgrades, IT helpdesk, that sort of thing which is what id like 2 get in to. Bcuz i'd be working alot more with networking etc which is where I need your help if possible.

The job spec's "essential criteria" is knowledge of the UNIX operating system and here im completely stuck as I know nothing about it. I have like 2 weeks to prepare an app form and im ok with that I just need some good reading material regarding UNIX systems. PDF or just web pages. Something like that.

Maybe just some simple info from you guys would be great to get me started.

This is really important 2 me and would be so grateful if you could help me in some way.

Thanks

Mark.

p.s. I mean seem a prat on team speak and stuff but I take this stuff seriously. Thanks.

Don't wish to be negative Kram ... But Unix/Liniux is way over your head if you have had no prior use of those systems. The stuff you need for "Essential" your not going to learn in 2 weeks from a pdf.

Myself i would approach it another way and find a Night course in Unix and enroll, Thus you can be truthful on your application and say "Your Learning" and your "Prepared to further learning".

Meanwhile hope like hell they see your good points for the XP , Winblows shit they want also, You will need to be up to snuff vista also and things like orriface 2008 .... not last years version as many things are different.

Again not trying to be negative, Give it your best shot and hope you get the position, but don't be discouraged as you can train for Unix and leave the door open for this position again in say 12/18 months time. That part where you said "Essential" is going to be your nightmare, Even if you get the job within 3 hr they will see you don't know much about Unix systems.

GL .. L8R M8 :)

Thanks MUT,

figured that might be the case regarding that. Just wanted abit of info thats all. Im just gona have 2 tell the truth like you say and just say what I can, most of the other things I can cover on the form with my experience but like you said hopefully that will get me through. I have knowledge of the rest of the systems we all work on in the building and have done some work for them before.

The job is being advertised externally which is a kick in the balls bcuz a guy with UNIX experience might walk in and get the job. But its all good experience anyway I suppose. Thanks 4 the reply MUT.

There is no talk of Vista at the moment here but i dabble with my mums laptop.

I allways say im up for courses and learning etc and this is true.

Thanks again. Any other comments appreciated.

Good luck mate, looking into my crystal ball I see lots and lots of study time for Krambo. Even if you don't get the post at least you know what to study to get into that area.