Spartans Home

Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Zeno~SPARTA~

Yes I think you are correct. The crash here in Tucson was attributed by the Military originally in it's official investigation as "pilot error". However people familiar with the Osprey and it's quirks refused to believe the pilots involved had made such a horrific error. They pushed until this was investigated further and finally the official investigation changed to a "rotor failure", but if my memory is correct they could not determine if it was a vortex ring state condition or an actual mechanical failure, the only thing they concluded for sure was he completely lost lift on one rotor at a critical time when he was only a 100 feet or so off the ground...there was no possible recovery. They removed pilot error from the official report.

The city has built a small monument on the site where it went down, they brought the family of the pilot who had been blamed initially to the dedication ceremony (they live a few 1000 miles from here).

I thought a fitting correction to the original mistake of the investigation.

A couple of things, 1, I dont have failures turned on, I do have damage, so performing outside the envelope of the plane will result in failure (the sim is not dramatic, it just stops). 2, I dont perform combat manoeuvres or even aerobatics, but when I do get cocky and turn to tight I get a stress failure and the sim stops. The Connie has an independent failure logic that was consistent with that plane, but again, I have that turned off.

My biggest mistake is on takeoff, I generally manage the climb, gear and flaps, but try to get roughly onto the right heading asap, I often forget about the speed. The sim is very unforgiving about overspeed.

In answer to your question I have never had a compressor stall in the sim, but if I turn failures on I am sure I would.

Interestingly I recently watched a documentary on the Hawker Hunter. Its RR Avon 100 series engine was prone to compressor stalls

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hunter

Early on in the Hunter's service the Avon engines proved to have poor surge margins, and worryingly suffered compressor stalls when the cannon were fired, sometimes resulting in flameouts. The practise of "fuel dipping", reducing fuel flow to the engine when the cannon were fired, was a satisfactory solution. Although the Sapphire did not suffer from the flameout problems of the Avon and had better fuel economy, Sapphire-powered Hunters suffered many engine failures. The RAF elected to persevere with the Avon to simplify supply and maintenance, since the Canberra bomber used the same engine.

The RAF sought more thrust than was available from the Avon 100 series; in response Rolls-Royce developed the Avon 200 series engine. This was an almost wholly new design, equipped with a new compressor to put an end to surge problems, an annular combustion chamber, and an improved fuel control system. The resulting Avon 203 produced 10,000 lbf (44.48 kN) of thrust, and was the engine for the Hunter F.6.

Amusingly the Hunter had blisters added to collect spent 20mm casings which also caused compressor stalls, these were called Sabrinas

Sabrina.jpg

Yes; the reason I asked about compressor stalls Zeno, is while I was getting my A&P Mechanics license, we had several vintage jet engines on test stands.

It was very easy if not careful to "hand grenade" the engine by simply using too much throttle too fast.

We did have one engine explode on us in a violent failure. The student had the engine running steady at about 45% throttle. The instructor told him to go to full throttle.

Instead of slowly moving the throttle to 100%, he slammed it forward like you would floor the accelerator in a car.

The engine burped and then backfired so violently, it warped the compressor blades into the stater vanes so that the engine just spit out 1000's of pieces of compressor blade out both ends.

A fairly dramatic failure that would have been catastrophic had it been in an aircraft.

The instructor used this mistake to explain the dangers associated with old jet engines and their fuel management systems. NEVER slam the throttle around on an old style jet engine... they do not like it :D

I am sure the freeware plane will not have that level of performance detail, maybe the payware would.

Anyway this is another piece of freeware, the Bristol Brabazon,

Its an old model ported from an earlier version of flight simulator, but I could resist this amazing historical aircraft.

Brabazon_zpsseupheck.jpg

Brabazon%20Cockpit_zpspf4xkaod.jpg

Brabazon%201_zpsm0yxblk9.jpg

She was huge in her day with a wingspan of 230ft, that is bigger than any 747 from much later. She had 8 coupled engines powering 4 sets of contra rotating propellors.

Only one prototype flew for 4 years, another prototype was going to test new turboprop engines, which would have increased the cruising speed to 330 knts and reduced weight by 10,000 lbs, but it never flew. Even though it was a commercial failure a lot was learnt from building this plane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Brabazon

Next flight Gibraltar (LXGB) to Mogador, Morocco (GMMI)

Aircraft Bombardier CRJ 700

360 Nautical Miles

3623lbs of fuel (stick with full fuel)

Cruising altitude 35,000 feet

Cruising Ground Speed 460/466 NMH

Rate of climb 2,000 feet per minute

Vmax is .85 mach

Top of Descent 100 nm from ESS VOR

Rate of Descent 2,500

Total time 60 minutes approx

Take off runway 09 east

VOR/DME CBA 116.9 heading 220 distance 195nm

VOR/DME ESS 112.7 heading 223 distance 163nm

Approach east of GMMI for runway 34 (attention no PAPI from west)

Runway length 6864

Next another Freeware plane from one of the best modellers (Dino Cattaneo), the F35 Lightning II. It come in three models A, B and C. This model is the B with STOVL. Since britain has partaken of this plane there is a RAF livery. The animations are superb and convincing, the detail inside and out is very good.

Lockheed%20Martin%20F35B_1_zps90iyd68a.j

Lockheed%20Martin%20F35B_3_zps3m1gdbps.j

Lockheed%20Martin%20F35B_2_zpsitep75y1.j

This guy is fantastic and the quality of his work so high that His T45 Goshawk is now a stock aircraft for Lockheed Martin P3D (an upgraded version of FSX). His planes can be found here

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.fr/

Here is a landing at Innsbruck (LOWI) in Austria, a popular seasonal airport for skiers. The runway is 6562ft long (2000m) at an altitude of 1900ft (581m) and in a valley in the mountains. In FSX default scenery, the approach I have taken goes over woodland , in the real world there are a few houses at that end of the runway. Innsbruck is served by planes up to 737/A320, I used an A380.

It took 4 attempts.

1 looked good but I hit the runway too hard and the gear collapsed and recorded a crash.

2 Sudden deceleration following encounter with a tree, recorded a crash

3 Looked good, should have been good, but the gear collapsed and recorded a crash.

At this point I reconsidered my load. I already had no passengers or baggage and 20% fuel. That is 114,531 lbs making the total wet weight 724,531lbs.

4 Below the glide slope, but above the trees, 125knts, full flaps and speed brakes before touchdown (not best practice), around 25,000lbs of fuel remaining for 634,603 total on touchdown. Success

a380_LOWI%201_zpshcg4co4j.jpg

a380_LOWI%203_zpsdr4zijrs.jpg

a380_LOWI%202_zpsrxmoprnk.jpg

a380_LOWI%204_zpshiy3zkuw.jpg

a380_LOWI%205_zpsrpxidwjl.jpg

In the end I had runway to spare.

This is what a real landing looks like, he arrived from the opposite en then turned to land in the same direction as I did, you will see the terrain difference. I think the plane was a business jet of some sort.

Following my successful landing of an A380 at Innsbruk I felt I should give it a go in the biggest plane I have in FSX, the AN225.

As usual I flew it from Zurich over the mountains and descended into the valley, but I could not descend fast enough for runway 08 (the one I used for the A380), so I passed LOWI and set up for a 180 in a wider part of the valley to land on runway 26, she barely made the turn.

An225_3_zpsface8tq2.jpg

But I was for enough away to get her lined up.

An225_5_zpspojxgipf.jpg

An225_2_zpscwe1l8ck.jpg

An225_4_zps9blbjlfl.jpg

An225_6_zpse7khoqxo.jpg

The plane is so tall I thought I was floating on the ground effect for a while, before I realised I had gently touched down!! Very happy with that.