Spartans Home

Holy smokes acceleration!

Zathrus~SPARTA~

0717_tesla1.jpg

Today Tesla announced a new “Ludicrous Mode” for its top-of-the-line Model S P85. The new mode reduces the 0-60 MPH time to 2.8 seconds with a quarter mile time of 10.9 seconds. The front engine now has 259 hp while the rear engine is pushing 503 hp. Wow! The new electronics pack that makes Ludicrous Mode possible for the Model S will cost new owners an additional $10,000. Current owners will be able to upgrade their vehicle for $5,000 for the next six months. Tesla CEO Elon Musk said that the new mode pushes the vehicle to 1.1Gs while accelerating and that it’s “faster than falling.” Musk also introduced a new 90kWh battery pack upgrade for the 85kWh Model S which increases the range five percent for $3,000. The 70 kWh rear-wheel drive Model S also got a price drop to $70,000.

It is not bad looking either....

you are correct, batteries are horrific for the environment. This is all about acceleration.

But I happen to know this car is also being developed with super capacitors.

In the very near future, a bank of super capacitors should be replacing the batteries in these.

they won't release it that way however until they know they have a bank of super capacitors that will

at least match the capacity of the batteries, I think they are hoping to actually get more energy storage.

I'm sure hydrogen cells will be there someday, If we use the energy of windmills not consumed to make hydrogen, we don't have to transport it that much, which makes it safer to use.

Yep

erm... a standing quarter mile run of 10.9 seconds!???

Folks, to give you an idea of how fast that is, if you go to the local drag strip, and you have a car

capable of running in the 10's, it is required to have a chrome molly roll cage, a 6 point drivers harness, special fuel cell and other numerous

and expensive safety additions.

Running a standing quarter mile in 10.9 seconds is jaw dropping fast on the street. That is almost as fast as the Porsche 918 spyder... in a 4 door family sedan.

I foresee some casualties with this car. There are a lot of thrill seekers with too much money who do not have the skill or judgement to handle that kind of speed in so little time.

That is well over 100mph in less distance than a city block.... I am certain those big electric motors are great brakes also... but again... skill and judgement are the key to those being helpful.