Spartans Home

Home Theatre Computer Build

As some of you may remember I have long been considering a HTPC for watching films and listening to music. Over the last few months I have copied nearly 1.5 terabytes of film from DVD. Here in Switzerland I have experimented with my dell XPS laptop hooked up to my LCD TV Playing films wirelessly from my main PC in my office, using the newish Draft N wifi (300 mbps). This has worked almost perfectly, I had tried the G wifi (54mbps) but there were some stutters and occasional lockups during the film.

Following this experiment I will build the dedicated HTPC and have today purchased all the components. I will build it over the next couple of days and will report on the ease of the build and performance once thats done.

These are the components:

Shuttle Intel SG33GS (See Description Below)

Intel Core2 duo E6750

2GB Corsair DDR2 800 ram

750GB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Vista Ultimate

Logitech DiNovo Edge Bluetooth Keyboard

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

Description

SHUTTLE Barebone SG33G5 noir S. 775 INTEL G33 800/1066/1333 MHz FSB 2xDDR2 - SG33G5

Chassis

G5-type aluminum chassis, black color

storage bays: 1 x 5.25", 2 x 3.5" (1 internal)

dimensions: 31 x 20 x 18.5 cm (LWH),

weight: 3.3 kg net / 4.6 kg gross

Mainboard

Shuttle FG33, Shuttle form factor, Dimensions: 25.4 x 18.5 cm

proprietary mainboard design for Shuttle XPC Barebone SG33G5

Chipset: Intel G33 Express (Bearlake-G) + ICH9DH

Solid Capacitors for excellent heat resistance for enhanced system durability

Color slots/connectors design (Power switch, USB, PCIe, PCI)

Power supply

250 Watt mini power supply unit

Input voltage range: 100~240V

Connectors: 20-pin ATX, 4-pin ATX12V

Dimensions: 190 (L) x 82 (W) x 43 (H) mm

EMI certified: FCC, CE, CCC

Safety certified: TÜV, UL, CB, CCC, CSA, NEMKO

Active PFC (Power Factor Correction)

Power plug region specific

Processor support

Socket 775 supports Single/Dual/Quad Core processors from Intel

with Core technology (65nm) and 800, 1066 or 1333MHz front side bus:

Core 2 Quad Q6xxx, Core 2 Duo E6xxx / E4xxx,

Pentium Dual-Core 2xxx and Celeron D 4xx series.

Designed for the upcoming Intel 45nm Core 2 multi-core processors.

Supports Pentium 4/D processors at 800MHz FSB.

Processors with 533MHz FSB are not supported.

Please refer the support list for detailed processor support information.

Overclocking*)

Overclocking settings:

CPU frequency, CPU voltage, RAM frequency, RAM voltage

Dynamic Overclock feature:

Easily overclock from 3/5/7/10/15/20% through the BIOS.

Processor cooling

Shuttle I.C.E. 2 (Integrated Cooling Engine)

advanced I.C.E. 2 Heatpipe technology, linear controlled 92mm fan

SilentX cooling and noise reduction technology with Active Airflow

Memory support

2x 240 pin slots, supports Dual Channel

supports DDR2-667/800 SDRAM memory

(up to DDR2-1066 in overclocking mode*)

up to a total size of 4 GB, max. 2 GB per DIMM

Slots

1x PCI-Express (16X) supports 8 GB/s data transfer

1x PCI (32 bit)

Integrated Graphics

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 (GMA 3100)

Full Windows Vista Aero experience

Intel Clear Video Technology

Hardware acceleration for MPEG2 and VC1 content

DirectX 9.0 support, Shader 3.0

Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) 3.0

Shared Memory size up to 384MB

HDMI connector (High Definition Multimedia Interface)

supports HDCP (High-bandwith Digital Content Protection)

transmits SPDIF digital audio signals

DVI adapter included

VGA connector for analog displays

Dual monitor operating possible (1x digital over HDMI/DVI plus 1x analog over Sub-D)

8-channel audio with DD/DTS

7.1 channel High Definition Audio, Realtek ALC888DD codec

Supports Dolby® Digital Live! and DTS™ Connect (Digital Theater Systems)

Analog: line-out (8-ch), line-in, microphone

Digital: optical S/PDIF output (digital audio), optional S/PDIF input

Gigabit LAN Controller

Marvell 88E8056 Ethernet network controller (Gigabit)

Supports 100 / 1.000 MBit/s operation

Supports Wake-on-LAN (WOL)

Firewire Controller

Firewire controller VIA VT6308

IEEE1394 OHCI rev 1.0 compliant

with 2 Firewire connectors (front and rear)

supports 400Mb/s, 200Mb/s, 100Mb/s data transfer rate

Drive connectors

3x Serial-ATA II, 3 Gbit/s (300 MB/s) bandwidth, NCQ support

2x External Serial-ATA, 3 Gbit/s (eSATA)

1x IDE ATA 100 drives

1x floppy disk drive

Front Panel connectors

Microphone

Headphone (Line-out)

2x USB 2.0

Firewire (Mini 4 pin connector)

Power button

Reset button

Power indicator (blue LED)

HDD indicator (orange LED)

Back Panel connectors

HDMI (DVI adapter included)

D-sub VGA (analog)

4x USB 2.0

GigaBit LAN (RJ45)

IEEE1394 Firewire (6 pin)

2x External Serial ATA port (eSATA)

Optical S/PDIF output (Digital Audio)

8-ch Audio line-out (2x rear/front, bass/center, surround/back)

Audio Line-in

CMOS button

optional Wireless LAN module (PN18)

optional parallel port (PC8)

Other connectors

2x fan connectors (4 pin)

4x USB 2.0 (two sets with 2x5 pins)

Looks wicked mate, is your theatre setup using some flash 6.1 amp and if it is are you getting as good as a performance from the audio as video when streamed wirelessly from the box?

This build is for an apartment, and at this time I havent purchased the amp, I am thinking of going for a Bose 3-2-1 system which simulates the rear and centre speakers and reduces clutter

User posted image

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_...21gsx_dvd_index

In france I have a room dedicated for this purpose and so I will be able to use a more powerful though conventional amp.

I have been thinking of doing one also with this case

http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-bach-htpc-silver.html

And a good remote

http://www.xoxide.com/imon-ultra-bay-black.html

And a projector

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1755

I would rather get a regular serround stereo instead of the bose, the bose cost way more and you would get way more power, speakers, options, with a regular one at a lower cost.

Like this one

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...mp;Sku=L49-5028

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Looks good.

I hear what you are saying about the 3-2-1 system but I dont wires trailing to the back of the apartment. I will not use this type of system in my TV room in France because I will be able to hide the wires.

I will prbably go with a projector in France, here I have a 46" HD LCD.

i will be watching this thread. i am looking to do this as well, since i have been downloading boat loads of movies and music, not to even mention the 500 plus cd' and 150 plus movies i already have. what i have been thinking of is setting up this media center so my kida and wife can get these as well through my home network so i do not have to keep burning them to disc for them or downloading them to there mp3 players. good luck and i will be asking you tons of Q's

Well I have the broad band cable system with hideff channels so connecting that up too one of these is going to be complex, do to it, it all runns thru the home media computer. It can be done with a tv card in the pci slot. that will get the tv signal into the computer via tv card, But to get true hideff I will probley have to come off the back of the hideff cable box to some kind of output to input. I havent checked but I think the newer tv cards are hidef ready and have hdmi inputs. Have to check up on that . Also to get true hideff to the tv I will have to use a dvi to hdmi cable from the vid card to the tv. Of corse the vid card has to support hideff As I think the 6600gt and up will do that. Theres new vid cards out now with hdmi output to the monitor or tv now, MSI has a 7300gt that has it and won't send us to the poor house. Of coarse the bigger cards will do it as well with adaptiors. But with digital cable tv it gets to be a real mess quick. The computer will be hooked in a slave from the cable box due to the cable box has the tuner in it to get the different and hideff channels. Unless the newer tv tuner cards has the ability to decode the cable tv channels as well, then it could be used as stand alone. Here is a tv card,

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...p?EdpNo=1951869

but its not hideff ready and in america we are changeing over to true digital in 2009 so all analog signals won't work with out a box for that now. It does have s-video but thats not hideff i think. I think I will wait for better stuff to come out before I go for it. Unless I just want a expencive movie player in wicth case it would work well but not have true hideff and won't get the hideff channels.

Well so far I am disappointed. The build went well and the vista install was fast. The installation using a pc monitor was flawless.

When I went to connect to the HDTV using the HDMI output I managed to get a good quality picture but it was bigger than the screen so I lost the edges and I cannot find a "fit to screen" button. The HDMI provided no sound. Its a bit noisier than I had hoped, it might intefere with the quieter passages of a film.

I have an Nvidia En8600gt but it is double width and wont fit so I will go out and buy a single width card for the job. Frankly I had an easier time with my dell XPS laptop (which has an nvidia 7900 512mb card. The XPS is also quieter

Anyway you live and learn.

Zeno,

Lookie in your Vid card advanced section and make sure you have the right aspect and res ratios to suit that huge behemoth screen, You should be able to set it up almost perfect.

BTW looks nice and hopefully will make your movie pleasure better.

Noise, If it's fan noise on vid card consider a passive heat sink and toss the fan, If it's case fans look for low RPM Scythe fans they are almost silent or use a fan controller and lower the rotating RPM, Same with Cpu fan after market silent type.

Now if the low noise fans are still too loud i can give you some tips on cutting the turbulence down further all you will need is some sandpaper and a knife and some spare time. you can also spray the inside of the box with some contact and place Sound mats on all sides to reduce noise further.

Also adjustment of the volume will overcome the fan noises :)

Nice gear ... L8r Zeno

Don't give up yet Zeno. I have had some fooling around in hideff in p/c. Make sure your monitor aspect ratio is set right in the monitor settings, You basicly going to have to start from scrach on the settings for the monitor, once you set it to hdmi mode you have to set it all up, Aspect, brightness, contrast, color, tint , and you might have to resize the screen some also mostly in the Tv settings and if thats not enough then in vid card settings untill your blue in the face. Then once you get to your likeings. But mostly the vid card setting are at default, and your really not worried about frame rates unless you get stuttering. Try setting all this stuff and see if its better. Don't forget im running a 32" lcd tv with dvi and hdmi and is hideff on my p/c

User posted image

User posted image

Oh ya you will have to run a aditional audio cable from the p/c sound card to the audio in on the tv.

OK I had a fiddle with the numerous TV settings and finally got the image and the sound sorted. I now get both through the HDMI cable.

Thanks for the advice Mut, but I think the main noise culprit is the small PSU fan, but once the box is buried in the stand (that I have yet to buy) I think the noise will be inaudible.

Zath wireless rear speakers have existed for some time but I have no power sockets behind the seating area so I would still need to run a power cable to the back of the viewing area.

I just read your post Athlon, it was the TV that was set up incorrectly not the PC. The onboard intel graphics is enough for the purposes of this pc. It also has 7.1 sound but I cant test that for now.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

• 2 months later...

OK I have just bought the elements for my second home theatre pc. Same as before but with a Q6600 processor and a nifty multimedia keyboard.

User posted image

The pad can be switched from mouse to arrows

User posted image

User posted image

I'll build it this afternoon. I had a lot of issues with the last build because I kept getting a regular stutter in the image and sound. This was isolated to the wireless receiver which regularly makes significant demands of the cpu. When this is unplugged the image and sound are perfect.

Wow neat wireless keyboard! You might want to check around I think there is better wireless stuff out there now for the wireless data transfer from device to device. Check this out, see if it will help

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-13855_1-9839908-67.html

Also

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-13855_1-9841288-67.html?tag=head

and

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-13855_1-9840815-67.html?tag=head

and

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-13855_1-9841602-67.html?tag=head

Oh I see you have been there ok.

• 11 months later...

Ok as some of you know I have progressed to the next step in my french home theatre project.

A few months ago I bought a 55" Samsung LCD tv

This week I have bought a Harmon Kardon AVR355 amp and a set of Kef 3005SE speakers. The AVR 355 is a 7.1 amp but i am only running 5.1 for now.

As always not everything is going to plan.

My Shuttle Intel SG33G5 barebones pc (HTPC) has a HDMI out which is driven by the intel g33 chipset. Originally I plugged the HDMI cable into the amp and the amp into the TV. The amp did not register that the source was dolby digital or DTS but always showed the source as PCM.

The shuttle also has an optical output (realtek), The AVR355 amp allows me to choose the source for image and sound. This works much better

DVD - Dolby Digital ok

DVD - DTS ok

videoTS sourced from hard drive - Dolby Digital ok

videoTS sourced from hard drive - DTS Not yet tested

MKV files - DTS shows as logic 7 on the amp.

The problem is PCM and logic 7 are very "flat" without the distinctive precision of ac3 or DTS. I have just got used to the beautiful imagery of the mkv format, but cant live without the corresponding sound.

I am using the K-lite codec pack which in turn uses the AC3 filter porgram. I do not understand everything this can do but i noticed that the output choices are all PCM based.

Should I use another codec pack - any recomendations

should I get a dedicated sound card - any recomendations

Am i doing something else wrong

OK after a bit more fiddling around with things I dont undertand, I found a DTS filter in the filter menu. I switched the output to SPDIF for both AC3 and DTS and now everything outputs correctly.

DVD - Dolby Digital ok

DVD - DTS ok

videoTS sourced from hard drive - Dolby Digital ok

videoTS sourced from hard drive - DTS ok

MKV files - DTS ok

MKV files - Dolby Digital ok

I am happy, with reservations. I need to fully test the system by watching many films. This will not be a chore, lol.

Interestingly the pc upscales all DVD input to 1080p and the images look nicer than when the amp does it (when I tested the system using a cheap dvd player, which will now be removed).

My objective was to scrap as many components as possible and have a compact but effective installation, whilst at the same time upgrading to DTS capability (which my old sytem did not have). This has been achieved.

The knowledge base of this forum is often ample for my needs and I dont feel such a twit asking newb questions here.