Spartans Home

Windows 10

man... no way to turn off automatic updates.

Even in the Pro version you can only delay it. Enterprise of course allows you to control it.

But unless you purchased enterprise edition of 7 or 8, your getting auto updates automatically whether you want them or not.

Really it appears to me that the consensus is it is as robust (& fast) as win7 and seems good.... but there are many things that need to be turned off.

For instance, unless you turn off the auto device driver update, every time windows updates, it is going to update your hardware drivers.... NOT a good idea.

So after you install win 10, go turn that off right away.

In addition it wants to run anti aliasing on everything all the time... but I think they are working on turning that off also.

Just plan on editing the registry a few times.

I am going to try and setup a second drive, see if I can install it on that, then I will have a dual boot sys.

That will allow me to do some nice comparisons, in various tasks like gaming.

yeah I am doing that actually.

I think (have not started install yet), but I think using the windows media creation tool, you only need a product key to install using that. At least that is what they are

indicating. I should know in a couple of hours.

You only need an updated version of win7 or 8 if your going to upgrade it according to what I just read.

fingers crossed.

I have to say..... not being able to turn windows update off is a bit concerning for me.

The new windows update, is completely automatic. Except PRO version you can delay the installs, or in the Enterprise version you can keep it manual.

But the home version is completely automatic.

You cannot turn it off. If an update screws up your computer, you can disable that update after the fact so you don't get a repeat failure. But the damage is done.

The micrsoft malicious software removal tool tends to not like TS and many games. It tends to render them unusable after it runs....

Sigh.....

hopefully they have fixed this problem....

• 1 month later...

I have been having one or two problems starting WOT and have not been able to run Space Engineers at all.

On the Keen Space Engineer forum they advise running things in compatibility mode, it definitely works for Space Engineers with Win7 selected.

There are a lot of issues right now.

I have some clients who have upgraded that now have microsoft office programs that will not function properly.

Microsoft is indicating it is likely driver issues causing these problems as they are certain Office 2010 and Office 2013 are compatible with win10....

yet... office 2010 appears to function normally until you try to save something. If you try to save, the program hangs and loses everything.

I am still working on solutions with MS.

It is certainly no faster than 7 was. I am hoping it is actually more robust than 7 (which was good) to make up for the fact it is really no improvement in speed.

Right now, I am holding off on installing win10 on my main drive. There are too many driver issues right now. Apparently driver conflicts that occur in the graphics driver set

can cause all kinds of application errors but windows itself will never see the problem. MS is suggesting everyone update to known win10 drivers for all hardware as soon as it is available

to try and reduce these issues. Apparently when you upgrade it does not do this, so you have to upgrade the driver sets manually.

yeah... they still have a lot of issues.

I looked for windows 10 drivers for this client's machine. It is only about a year old, no drivers available yet.

I tried 4 or 5 suggestions microsoft had for correcting this problem, but no luck

At his request, I reverted his system back to windows 7. Of course everything is seemless... except for his office programs....

His office 2010 was still FUBAR.

Tried to uninstall office 2010... now it won't uninstall either....

Tried to just do a re-install without uninstalling... Office 2010 gives following error message "Office 2010 can only be installed on Vista, windows 7, win8 &8.1, Please install one of these operating systems before proceeding" :o really???

Did a manual delete of all files associated with office 2010, then rebooted, ran ccleaner registry cleaner. Deleted 880 registry entries related to microsoft office 2010.

Tried reinstalling again.... still same error "Office 2010 can only be installed on Vista, windows 7, win8 &8.1, Please install one of these operating systems before proceeding"

So... the client gets pretty pissed off at microsoft at this point.... says "fuck this shit!" and buys a copy of office 2013 (thankfully he is intelligent enough to not blame me). That fixed his problem for now.

2013 runs like a charm in win7... we are afraid to try it in windows 10 again since although it says office 2013 is fully compatible with win10, it said the same thing about office 2010.

Neither one of us was really in the mood to go through that bullshit again...

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

Windows 8 was shit, Windows 10 is shit. They basically rewrote the whole O/S with Windows 8, and it shows (basic functionality either didn't work or worked poorly--I'm looking at you File Exporer & Network Shares!). They have yet to work all the kinks out.

I'm going to steer clear for at least one more release, or possibly until Windows 10 has been patched like crazy. They took a step in the right direction, but it still isn't a stable release.

well I am not sure it is shit yet... but the problem is there seems to be few hardware drivers designed for win10 right now.

This is causing some serious issues for people in various apps on their machines... oddly win10 itself seems to run fine even on machine with numerous app issues.

So it may actually be a pretty good OS in the end, it just isn't ready for public consumption imo since drivers are scarce.

I am guessing they thought Win10 did not need drivers specific to it... obviously this assumption was wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I installed "10" and at first I'm not impressed with metro layout or the new look, but within 4 days it's grown on me.

I did add "START 10"

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

$5

I added my old desktop gadgets

https://getpocket.com/a/read/734370357

My old fav. display fusion.

https://www.displayfusion.com/

I'm now a happy bunny after turning off UAC (user account control)

Set permissions for me to write into system folders.

Now the world is good.

======================

I built a new PC after mine died 6 months ago and been using a old backup..... (motherboard died X58)

New PC is my first booting off SM951 M.2 Solid state on a X99 motherboard & fast boot in not realy doing the SM951 justice.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8979/samsung-sm951-512-gb-review

SM951 is a M.2 slot SSD running direct onto PCIe bus lanes similar to REVO drives, but the tech has moved ahead of those days, now you have BIOS support or should I say UEFI boot ( http://www.itworld.com/article/2826910/hardware/goodbye-bios--hello-uefi.html) as all new motherboards now BOOT UEFI NOT BIOS . The SM951 is accessed with an installation of Windows from UEFI boot USB drive/stick and once installed WINDOWS is in hyper speed.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/what-uefi

DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 all versions

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Reads @ 5x faster than a normal SATAIII SSD & Writes @ 3X faster than a normal SATAIII SSD.

Highly recommended.

anyway, Windows 10 feels (once you bastardize it back to 7 looks), like a solid platform, updates are automatic.

WHATS NEW in WINDOWS 10?

It's FREE till June 2016, then it's £80-120 or $100-160, yes it's free upgrade for 1 year then you would have to buy it if you wanted to go W10.

restore points have gone, in comes "Refresh and Reset"

Basically if W10 goes gaga, you reinstall W10 completley, fresh then the clever thing makes back your settings.....

all updates to the point of crash. Reinstalling from a USB 3.0 stick takes 2 mins.

Internet Explorer will go in October & Microsoft Edge will replace it

There are questions raises on Privacy regarding the default setting of W10 sending MS data about surfing habits and the likes so they can tailor adverts to your pages, similar to how cookies do currently… you surf a cookie jar on ebay and lots of ads are on pages you surf regarding cookie jars….. Problem is this is ON by default, many don’t like it…..

All in all, it's not a bad OS... W7 was/is good & W10 feels good too. (to me)

Windows recognises more devices off the bat without special drivers from vendors....

Power saving is better...

Machine wakes from sleep smoothly.

All I would say, is this was a fresh copy f W10 on a formatted SSD with a W7 key for activation.

Next I will upgrade a full running W7 machine with 50+ apps on. Will let you all know....

So far everyone I have run into with serious problems in windows 10 have had AMD processors.

I am beginning to think that windows 10 uses part of the cpu graphics processing?

Because as long as you do not need drivers... it seems fine.

If you need drivers.... its garbage right now, because few exist for anyone's hardware.

Oddly... windows 10 seems to run itself just fine even on machines having mountains of problems.

The problems all seem related to various programs people like to use.... not windows itself.

Also I have noticed on two of my clients who have upgraded to win10, their pc no longer wakes from sleep.

it must be hard booted if it goes to sleep.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_lnasobmPWb1qkbodlo1_500.gif

I tried already but after a week running around messing with driver issues I got tired of it and uninstall it, The damned thing almost ruined my pc.

Edited by Gon5~SPARTA~

• 1 month later...

Well 4 months later I finally got around to installing Win10 over a fresh install of my Win7 on a new SSD.

So far I like it!

I like the new start menu, I like customising it.

Everything just worked, all my peripherals just worked without any faffing around looking for drivers, it was a pretty slick upgrade for me.

Only thing I've had to google so far was how to remove the need to enter a password at login. apart form that, its a fresh clean start, which I like every couple of years.

Most people I know who have installed it like it. But I have not installed it yet as I believe there are still some hardware issues

regarding win10.

Most intel based systems will have no issue at all. I am not so sure of an AMD system. The only AMD system I know of that went to win10 had to revert to win7 after

discovering several of his programs he uses regularly were suddenly non functional.

This has not happened in an Intel based system to my knowledge....

Although I do not really know for sure... I am speculating that the integrated graphics on the intel chipset prevents this problem from occurring. It is the only thing this one

AMD system did not have relative to intel systems I also know had switched successfully.

well.. reverting is not always the right thing to do unless you are having serious problems.... because problems do occur periodically when reverting anything.... especially an entire OS.

So.. if it were me, I would sit down and decide if the problems I am having are bad enough to be worth the risk.

I guess worst case scenario is you just do a format and re-install your original OS.

I have not wanted to deal with this decision so I have not done the change.

Although it is sitting IMPATIENTLY in my tool bar... it asks often; "if I want to experience the amazing things 20 million others are already enjoying"

the number "enjoying it" has increased consistently.

I bet they are not counting those who revert back.

The only system I have seen that had "game stopper issues" was an AMD based system. After upgrading to Win10, none of his Office 2010 programs

would function... they would start, you could create something, but they would not save anything. They couldn't save anything according to the error message.

I tried uninstalling them, cleaning the registry, re-installing them... same problem. "Cannot Save"

When he reverted back... they became non functional completely. Uninstalling them, cleaning the registry and re-installing did not fix it. Very bizarre.

He ended up buying a copy of Office 2015 which works fine. This was a quad core AMD at 3.2Ghz, 8 gigs of ram and an AMD 7850 graphics card.

I have seen several intel based systems switch over and have zero problems. None of those who's systems I have checked are gamer's however.

Everything I have seen so far does suggest they have done a fairly decent job relative to some previous releases.

They have some kinks to work out, but over all the OS seems to function pretty well.

Yes... some of those kinks they need to work out are pretty aggravating... but at least the OS does function in what seems to be a decent speed on all the machines

I have worked with it on.

• 4 weeks later...

OK... perhaps microshaft is getting frustrated people are refusing their free upgrade to win10

Today, a client told me for reasons she does not understand, her computer decided to upgrade while she was playing a game.

She said suddenly her game minimized and windows 10 began installing.

I went in and began trying to revert her system. They had also added something you have to do to revert. Initially it would not give me the option to revert back to 7 saying system protection was not turned on.

I went in and manually turned on system protection for her C drive... it then let me revert to 7

In Her defense, once I reverted, the computer booted up into win7 with her game open, running producing error messages because the file was damaged preventing that particular session to be resumed.

So the windows 10 upgrade box, had somehow accepted her game inputs to begin the upgrade.... bizarre.

OK... perhaps microshaft is getting frustrated people are refusing their free upgrade to win10

Today, a client told me for reasons she does not understand, her computer decided to upgrade while she was playing a game.

She said suddenly her game minimized and windows 10 began installing.

I went in and began trying to revert her system. They had also added something you have to do to revert. Initially it would not give me the option to revert back to 7 saying system protection was not turned on.

I went in and manually turned on system protection for her C drive... it then let me revert to 7

In Her defense, once I reverted, the computer booted up into win7 with her game open, running producing error messages because the file was damaged preventing that particular session to be resumed.

So the windows 10 upgrade box, had somehow accepted her game inputs to begin the upgrade.... bizarre.

I'm still on 7, but I've noticed lately that it will suddenly attempt to install 10 without asking. It has thus far allowed me to stop the install, but it does seem to be making that more difficult.