Spartans Home

Whisky

I know a few of you like single malts I was at Fortnum and Mason (to keep the wife happy) and spent some time drooling over there selection and had a very interesting conversation with one of the staff

My favorite single malt is Glenmorangie 'well that sir can be undone with a blend'

This one if anyone is interested £27 a bottle from the online shop (I didn't get as far as the cost of posting)

http://www.compassboxwhisky.com/greatkingstreet/our-whiskies2.php

I haven't tried it yet if anyone has please let me know what you think

Edit: I don't like peaty whisky apparently you refer to peat as 'spade' in a whisky

Edited by custard~SPARTA~

Well I do LOVE single malts. I have never encountered a blended scotch that came close to matching a good single malt.

I will look and see if they have it here. We have a large wholesale liquor store in Tucson that carries about 6000 wines, over 1000 whiskeys, etc.... it is a huge store.

It is several thousand square feet of retail space stacked 10 feet high like a regular walmart store, or a Cosco store.... but it is all booze :cheers:

There are only a few American whiskeys I like, and they are all small distillery's. I despise bourbon which has my uncle in a tizzy as that is his drink of choice.

For me they tend to have too much bite, which is what I think Forrester is also saying.

In whiskeys I pretty much only drink single malt scotch.

Wow, seems you guys across the pond have a great slection of wiskeys to choose from, a lot more then us. We only have a few.

What do you mean buy peat and spade?

Highland whiskey doesn't have the peaty flavour the lowland types do like most Irish whiskey and some Scottish apparently they don't say it is 'peaty' they say it is 'spade' I guess because peat is dug by a spade a lot of the flavour of a whiskey comes from the local water.

It is all just a matter of personal preference.

Edited by custard~SPARTA~

Lagavulin 16. You can smell the smoke and the peat, unless you're dead. It's a classic, a favorite and I had a dram last night.

Went through 1.75 liters of Glenmorangie in February. Great experience.

Across the whisky/ey spectrum, favorites include: Makers 46, Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, Four Roses Small Batch, Basil Hayden's, Crown Royal XO.

Tonight is a dram of Elijah Craig 12yo.

My liver hates me.

Been a single malt fan for years, I can put up with bourbons but have struggled to find a good blend.

We had a long weekend in Dublin for the wife's birthday and we did a taster day at Jameson's. We tasted against the best selling bourbon, JD and the best selling whiskey which was apparently Jonnie Walker!

Jameson's triple distill and you could really tell, it was super smooth, head and shoulders above the other two.

My favourite single malt at the moment is probably Laphroaig 15 year. This is a classic Islay malt with the typical 'peaty' tone.