Spartans Home

Internet security in today's world RED ALERT!

Hello all,

I work on people's computers... and also teach people how to use their computers.

I do frequent research on security threats I see popping up... what I have to say is very IMPORTANT if you care about your security risks.

Sadly... we have in my opinion, reached a point where a good anti-virus with firewall is no longer sufficient protection in today's world.

Today, you need a good antivirus +firewall PLUS good anti malware. If you have watched the technical news over the last couple of months you have seen the stories regarding "Ransomware".

This has shown that one must also have some kind of program that prevents your browser from being exploited. Over 2 million people have been hit with ransomware in the USA alone.

The majority of those 2 million people were running extensive security suites. Ransomware goes right through them.

Essentially, hackers have figured out how to circumvent anti-virus. A solid anti-virus is still super important, but it is no longer enough.

The newest threats are actually injecting themselves disguised with code that makes them look benign to all antivirus softwares used today.

When you shut your computer down, the next time you start it up, the benign disguise code will inject the malicious code during the boot sequence.

Once your desktop and all background programs have initialized, your antivirus will detect the threat and quarantine it.

The problem is... now it is too late. The malicious code will replicate itself regardless of what your antivirus does. It cannot stop it.

Malwarebytes is considered the best anti malware program currently available. It is designed to run along side an antivirus. As far as I know, none of the mainstream antivirus programs

have any issues with malwarebytes, it compliments the abilities of your antivirus and therefore is not considered a problem. Malwarebytes has been tested extensively by third parties

and has been judged very capable at stopping known threats, but most importantly, it does a very good job of recognizing previously unknown threats and stopping them also. It is very sophisticated in that

the full version actually makes itself invisible from any kind of potential threat so it does not get attacked and disabled. If somehow it is discovered, it has a robust defense system to protect itself from being compromised.

When Malwarebytes began detecting these new browser exploits, they went to work... and have come up with a very robust solution for that also. It is called "Malwarebytes Anti Exploit". This program is a plugin for your browser, and there is a version for every browser in use today as far as I know. This plugin is a HUGE increase in making your system secure because it will stop any known exploit plus it has been tested and has shown it is also very good at detecting and stopping previously unknown exploits.

One major coup for anti exploit is it eliminates the problems associated with programs like adobe flashplayer. It completely closes any of its vulnerabilities. It also closes the vulnerabilities of many other programs that are used in millions of computers and have known security risks.

You can obtain both of these programs here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/var3/

The cost is approx. $55 per year for both and you can use that license on a maximum of 3 computers. I would like to make the observation that $55 is pocket change compared to the misery of identity theft, bank accounts hacked, etc.

The majority of infections encountered today were injected into the computer at a legitimate website that had not discovered it was infected. It has become a very common theme... but I do not go to dangerous places... well that does not matter anymore because any legitimate website is a potential unwitting spreader of trojans and viruses in today's world.

I do not work for this company... I just fix computers. I have never had to reformat a computer that has malwarebytes on it... it has been that good. I have been using it since it came out (about 5 years).

It will also prevent any of the spy programs used by marketing firms for data gathering/research. This prevents your bandwidth from being used by things other than what you have running.... or better gaming in my experience as your bandwidth never changes like it will if something is periodically transmitting data to a marketing firm.

I cannot over emphasize the importance of everyone increasing their security levels on this. The world has changed and the internet has changed with it. Many security experts and analysts seem to be saying

they believe we have only seen the tip of the iceberg compared to what is potentially on its way. With the level of activity in various international hacker groups gathering over the last two years, many expect

an attack of unprecedented scope and damage during the next two years. Considering the size of some attacks that have occurred over the last two years... that is pretty scary since one almost brought everything to its knees for several hours... until they were able to bypass it into google who dumped it into nothingness.

So... do yourself a favor... spend $55 and reduce your risks. Each license is good for 3 computers for 12 months. There are never any guarantees... but it is wise reduce your potential risks at every opportunity.

These two programs combined with a good security suite, seem to be doing a very good job together.

Hey Zath ..

I could not possibly agree more with your endorsement of the MalwareBytes two app suite!

After running the free version of their anti-malware s/w for a while (years ago) to test it's capabilities I purchased the 'premium' ($) version a few years back. I've never regretted the decision as it's saved my bacon more than a few times and as you rightfully point out it's a cheap price to pay to avoid the nightmare of a malware infestation. Just within the past few months I purchased it for my brother's rig as well. (more as a gift to me, the one who gets the call .. if you know what I mean. ;)

I run ESET A/V which has earned it's keep as well. However, MalwareBytes has intercepted evilware nearly instantaneously so the two in tandem is, for my needs, provide a near perfect solution.

Admittedly I either wasn't aware, or mentally blocked out, the Anti-Exploit offering. I just remedied that and am now running all three. (ie ESET, MWB Anti-Malware, and MWB Anti-Exploit).

The above along with a reasonably robust router and (I think) Windows Firewall offers a failry secure environment and the peace of mind that goes with it. I stuck with ESET due to (a) it works, and works well +(B) the few times I needed a helping hand a knowledgeable human answered the phone and resolved whatever the issue(s) may have been in very short order. That ranks well high on my list, knowledgeable and available support that is.

Good post and I second the recommendation. Yes, it's a bit over $50 for both the Anti-Malware and the Anti-Exploit (both of which have free trials available btw) but the first time someone needs to due major hoop jumping due to a missed exploit it will seem like the price was too low to have been able to avoid such calamities.

To each their own and I realize everyone here is well above average when it comes to being tech savvy, This particular recommendation really resonated with me, their product(s) have never left me down, so again I just wanted to add my endorsement to Zath's.

Enjoy and ..

Cheers

The number one enemy to computers is between the chain and keyboard......

That used to be true, but no more. The fact is, this website could inadvertantly inject people with malware for a time before it is caught and eliminated from the host servers.

Any website is a potential threat in today's world. It may only be a threat for a few minutes, a few hours or days. It depends how vigilant the server hosts are.

A high percentage of infections occurring today are acquired at legitimate websites that are infected and the host doesn't know it.

Being careful where you go no longer works. They have figured out how to dupe many of the systems in place today. Simply opening a page... can cause you great difficulty, but you won't know it has until it is too late.

oh dear... this is some sort of attack occurring today. Possibly of authentication servers. Websites are having problems authenticating and therefore cannot load the page at many companies including SOE, Comcast, Ebay and many others.

Many times you can get their main page to load, but going beyond that will not work, this is because many websites have separate servers for authentication.