Spartans Home

Is my monitor to blame for screen tearing?

Rocky

So since upgrading my PC recently I get screen tearing BAD on my monitor, when using the desktop, ie just browsing around and scrolling the screen on web pages.

The only thing I did not upgrade was my syncmaster 204bw 1680x1050 monitor.

Then I read this today

Screen tearing happens when your gpu outputs higher fps than your monitor can output.

So is my screen tearing issue my monitor? It is kind of a low res for my new GTX 780 I guess.

If anyone can confirm this is the likely issue, santa might bring me a new monitor.

Thanks.

Its a problem with VSync in Desktop mode, most themes in Windows Vista, 7, 8 are enabled by default. Unless you have customized your theme then you should not have a problem.

Try looking for this in your NVidia control panel under Manage 3D Settings. And forcing to ON. See if thats works, I know its a 3D setting but your desktop is accelerated by the GPU.

disable-vsync-nvidia.jpg

Also run FRAPS with the option Monitor Aero desktop DWM and see if its above 60 FPS or above your monitors max refresh rate. Mine for example is 60Hz @ 2560x1600. And 75Hz @ 1280 x 1024. But I always use my highest res.

Capture.PNG

@ Hunter LOL, brilliant.

@ Cobol, it was set to adaptive, I put it ON, no difference, youtube videos still shearing.

Hmmm, I launched fraps, there was no aero option.

Checked settings, I was on windows basic, so i put an aero theme on just to try your tip, started fraps, ticked the box, launched a YT video and it was about 30FPS, but hang on!! There was no tearing!!!

How was windows desktop at basic causing tearing?

I think you solved my problem!!

F*CK!!!

Edited by Rocky

How was windows desktop at basic causing tearing?

Aero uses double buffering to help prevent tearing, but don't google it unless you want to fall asleep :D i'd leave vsync on on because i'd imagine you are always hitting 60fps anyway.

Edited by PANiC

awesome (if you get a good one!!) but expensive :

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-070-AS

other gsync monitors seeing as you have nvid card http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=17&catid=948

you have the power for 1440p but not 144Hz power so maybe paying a 1440 + 144Hz premium is not the best idea. toss up between the acer and the aoc, 27" vs 24" both at 1080. i think if i did a lot of recording i would stick with a 1080. i certainly don't think 27" is too big for 1080 either.

Edited by PANiC

• 2 weeks later...

Well would you believe it, I had a wee windfall!

So I looked at that gysnc you posted Panic, but it is 3840x2160 - surely too much for my 780 to handle. I'll look for a lower res version....

This Asus VG278HE looks good, I like 3d too, monitor is getting quite old now though.

If I could find a lower res gsync that meant I didnt have to sell my 780 already that would probably be best.

Edit here's 2

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-acer-umhb0eea01-144hz-g-sync-3d-gaming-display-displayport-1920x1080-300cd-m2-100m1-1ms-xb270habp

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-aoc-g2460pg-144-hz-g-sync-gaming-display-displayport-1920x1080-350cdm2-80m1-1ms-usb-hub

Edited by Rocky

Ordered it at Scan, they had it a fair bit cheaper than either Amazon or overclockers.

Should be here on Tuesday, excited much!

Acer XB270HA gaming monitor as the world’s first 1080P 27" display featuring NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology to provide stunning, ultra-smooth, tear-free imagery and rich colors for outstanding gaming experiences. It features Acer’s flicker-less, low-dimming and ComfyView technologies that reduce strain on the eyes for smooth and comfortable extensive viewing.

The Acer XB270HA is intended to be paired with enthusiast PCs for immersive, ultra high-end gaming. It features a spacious 27-inch LED backlit display with True HD (1920 x 1080 pixels).

With a GeForce® GTX™-powered PC, NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ display technology synchronizes the display’s refresh rates to the GPU to eliminate screen tearing and minimize display stutter and input lag to deliver smoother, faster, more breathtaking gaming experiences. Scenes appear instantly, objects look sharper and more vibrant, and gameplay is more fluid and responsive providing gamers with significant performance advantages.

The Acer XB270HA features 170/160 degree viewing angles so that brilliantly-colored images can be seen from almost every angle. DisplayPort™ v1.2 transmits video signals and four USB 3.0 ports are conveniently located at the side and bottom of the display for connecting to keyboard, mouse or mobile devices.

The Acer XB280HA monitor is made with post-consumer recycled plastic and features a distinctive red ring on the base stand. The multi-functional ErgoStand allows the screen to tilt from -5° to 35° to ensure the best viewing angle; the base rotates 120° from left or right for easy screen sharing; the panel height can be raised by up to 150 mm for optimum comfort; and the screen pivots from horizontal to vertical for more viewing perspectives.

This eco-friendly monitor features a mercury- and arsenic-free panel, LED backlighting for reduced power consumption, and is ENERGY STAR®(1) qualified.

Freaking nightmare.

First of all I ordered an Acer XB270HA and they delivered an Acer XB270H, but worse, it has a pixel stuck on red right in the middle of the screen horizontally and about 2" below the middle vertically. :(

Then, I couldn't get the stand arm off the back to pack it all back up again, it clips in with no apparent way of getting it back out.

So a stanley knife to the packing to try and fit it all back in the back with the arm attached and folded flat, and polystyrene everywhere it is!

Nightmare.

:\ think u can still return it because they sent a different item than you ordered?

I heard dsr changed so you now cant return stuff because u changed ur mind, now there is usually a restocking fee. But it used to be a good way out of situations like urs.

I read massage of area could help. You may have to research this if they won't let you return it.

I can vouch for this, had a stuck green pixel and massaged it away. Will apparently work as long as the stuck pixel isn't white.

Yeh I did the whole flicker thing and massage - no joy. And yes I also noticed the DSR were replaced in June 2014, but the new regs have a 14 day cooling off period where you can cancel the contract after delivery. If they don't respond well to my "how about some great customer support" type e-mail, I might as well throw a Sale of Goods act email in, nothing to lose and there's a template letter available online.

The size seems HUGE compared to a 20", massive!

I actually never even tried it for 144Hz or tearing, I was/am so pissed off with this bright red pixel in the middle of the screen.

I'll see how scan respond....

That's interesting to hear it worked for you Watchy, you really can;t believe anything to read on the internet these days, so it's good to hear it first hand. It didn't work for me, but I had to be careful not to massive it too hard for fear of causing further damage.

I got an email from scan today though, and they have agreed to take it back and send another one, which is a massive result as they were not obliged to.

I found some good forums about monitors along the way, geez, picking a monitor really demands a lot of research and learning about the tech, ie TN / IPS panels, refresh rates, latency, resolutions etc etc.

For anyone else interested in monitor tech, here's a great forum filled with pixel nerds that really know their stuff.

http://forums.blurbusters.com

bookmark it. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for asking Lugs!

I chased them up yesterday because I noticed on the RMA tracking page that it was received, NO FAULT FOUND.

Ever got that sinking feeling in your tummy?

So I emailed them a brief "uhm yes it is faulty" message and today there is an emailing saying...

We can confirm that a refund has been authorised for your returned goods which will be processed by our Accounts Department shortly.

So, in summary, shite experience obviously, but I would recommend scan as they were not legally obliged to issue a full credit in this case, but on the back of their 3X customer service policy they went that extra mile for a new customer.