Spartans Home

Self-defense

1. This Springfield is made in Croatia.

2. Get lessons from someone to start you out right. Most CWP classes aren't real lessons. Buy me a plane ticket and I'm there for you.

3. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If you're doing it wrong, then practicing won't help.

4. Work on smoothness and technique. Speed will come on its own.

5. Carry something weighty in the coat pocket to make it toss back better when you draw.

6. Most people aren't going to bother with going to the range, shooting a zillion rounds, etc. The answer is dry firing, or better, buy one of these things: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GFDTNA/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687602&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002N2B0DO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1CHS9XJVS6J0CAXC8JMS

It give good feedback. Dry firing is also a great way to shoot your walls or family, so learn to do it safely and triple check to see that there is no ammo anywhere in the room.

7. Your marksmanship is already adequate for a close quarter encounter. Focus on smoothness, speed will come. Dry firing with the laser will improve your marksmanship a ton.

8. Aim small, miss small. You don't need a 100 yard range. A target half the size at 50 yards works just as well. Or a quarter size at 25 yards. The point is, aim small, miss small. Don't practice gunfights at 100 yards. If someone shoots at you from that far, practice running.

9. Learn to shoot with this grip. Trust me.

10. Learn to expect a zillion different opinions, all of them equally weird. If there was one way of doing it there would be one calibre, one weapon, one stance, etc. There are as many expert opinions as there are shooters.

11. If anyone tries to teach you to shoot with a weaver stance, shoot them.

• 4 months later...

Nice pistol Cy! Hard (impossible?) to go wrong with a Springfield Armory, excellent choice.

Hope you've been very well. You may be familiar with the man in the vid below but if not he's earned the right to offer some good tips/advice. There are, of course, others. This video happens to be specific to Action Pistol competition which imho is a good, and fun, way to log some trigger time plus a good 'excuse' to go to the range. ;)

Have a look if you like .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_W2w0oBwb8

Always my best ..

edit: I suppose the right link would help ;(

Edited by Xross

I had concealed carry permit class this morning and as a part of it we went to the range. I shot 50 rounds of range ammo plus 4 rounds of hollow point ammo (to see the difference in how that ammo would feel, since it is the hollow points that will be loaded for defensive purposes), then the instructor handed me his weapon (a .38 cal match pistol with a 5 round magazine) and two mags to shoot. That ends up being 64 rounds total. All rounds were shot at 15 yards (45 feet).

All 64 rounds hit target. You can count the holes yourself if you don't believe me, but take care as some are double holes (you can tell by the slightly peanut shape).

Here it is:

20141018_120352_zpsd69dc7ec.jpg

Not sure which picture is better, so here is a second picture:

20141018_120403_zps925a5be8.jpg

Sorry Dude, Can You Run?