Spartans Home

Space Engineers

custard~SPARTA~

so a couple of weird things today, we noticed a lot of damage to a room in the base, but welded it straight, later found some processed items at the bottom of 'the pit' which meant it wasn't from a damaged ship.... but must of been from a base storage container. now if anyone remembers the initial damage to the room with the lift??.... we all seemed to forget that there used to be a large reactor and large storage container in that place!!!

so basically looks like the reactor blew up :excl: anyway we actually ran out of gravel so we attempted to retrieve the bag that was in the pit, it was labelled as 180,000KG iirc :D taking 10,000KG at a time via the backpack was too slow so we swopped the gravity to send the bag up instead of down:

as you can see, the bag did indeed go upwards...... with some force :D

xFzWcqQ.jpg

in other news, Rizz can't drive for S&!#

NJn9A0t.jpg

and Adder did the asteroid-in-the-ship trick with a ship that wasn't his :D

mX3mtoA.jpg

also working on the ship eater:

lhhrqjw.jpg

Well my prayers have been answered. Only the most important change in the whole flipping world.

"Flashing options have been added for lights; you can create navigation lights and runways - multiple lights can be synced."

You thought I could create a disco before, you ain't see nothing yet.

This game may contain flashing images - you have been promised!

Hyperbole mode off.

Now we are in trouble he is gonna make the dance floor from Saturday Night Fever

Edited by custard~SPARTA~

I have finally got the permanent home for the server sorted. We have therefore migrated across. We are on a 100Mbit/s symmetrical access, and we have a slightly more powerful home. Hopefully you should see some improvement in performance. We are on a 6 core Xeon E5 and there will be headroom for other things concurrently.

I can't fix Carter blowing everything up in sight, however.

Sounds really good luggs, intetested to see if the load time improves, what was the previous line speed? Still peeps will say how laggy things are all the time unless they turn their gfx settings down i reckon

Edited by PANiC

Well the load times seem pretty much the same, however we have lost the game stutter/pause when people join the server, I am interested in restarting saving, however the game code has other ideas, and currently it is winning. This must be what it is like to have teenagers.

It ignores any setting of save, so I reckon it has become broken.

.......again.

On the plus side.....................

lights flash

From Michelle

A computer game doesn't roll in after 4am waking you up

A computer game doesn't need lifts EVERYWHERE

I could go on but I am too busy laughing

From me

Nice work on the flashing lights

can we get a reboot on thursday plz :]

can't dock any ships

can't weld

can't transfer items to/from containers

can't change permissions in weldasaurus

reboot should sort most of those :]

also there was a lot of components / refined items rolling round on the floor near the spawn, some of them had smashed their way through to the big hanger from the top floor, you can see some of the damage still, the lift in the med bay was 45 degree angle, holes everywhere, most bent panels welded. coloured the floor yellow to try and help find the items, you can always hear the knocking/banging but finding the items is a different matter.

flippin love the bloo lights!!!

Thanks for the update Mr P. I have placed a complete box reboot in for 04:00 BST, if you feel this needs to move then let me know.

I will be grateful for views on a second reboot, in the day, to ensure that we get consistent behaviour for the evening busy period. The reboot seems to take a few minutes at most, the major delay seems to be the game registering with steam after it comes back. The save seems to be working much better now and we are not getting the issue with the game freezes so, other than it being a little annoying, we should be able to schedule something to keep up the performance.

It doesn't seem to matter how much CPU or Processor memory is available to the server code, it just gets claggy. There are always spare resources available on the box, it doesn't seem CPU intensive in anycase. I think they just need to work on the server code itself.

The 'spare' materials are from the missing refineries and large storage boxed which are no longer present. They seemed to have a moment and there were these big holes. We will probably need Adder to come in and try and remember how it looked.

The lights aren't perfect, I am still getting my head around the maths bit, but we certainly have a starting point to make some nice landing arrangements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Catastrophe has struck my modular base.

When I was grinding one of the newly installed Blast Door pistons on the Hangar Deck with CatDog II there was a violent explosion, I was still alive but CatDog II was hurtling through space out of control, so I ejected. I could see the base (1,000 meters from its original location). When I got there The base was ripped from top to bottom with holes all over, I lost every ship that was docked (more than 10 inside and out).

Incredibly, despite a massive hole through the Flight deck, no critical components in the Modular Base were damaged, including the flight seat and most of the thrusters, so the base stabilised when the force of the explosion subsided.

I used 2 pistons per door and I think this causes the problem when on a server. If there is a desync the position of the pistons is no longer aligned and this creates a violent correction by the server. This is the second large structure incident I have suffered when using multiple pistons on one surface.

You can check out my screen shots on steam.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/52113889402797233/103249A06ECCB4EBA2114EAD5FB93BC99104EC3D/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/52113889395511502/1D3F693178358EBE0A586BBE258CB9245046E21C/

Good god you have built the Borg cube are you still doing this in survival with meteor storms on? Either way looks good unlucky with those pesky pistons.

Its in Survival mode but meteors are turned off and the modular base basks in the sunshine for maximum solar power. But if meteor showers were turned on the base can move behind an asteroid and switch to its nuclear reactors since it is a large ship with thrusters and if the need to move faster arises it has gravity drive ( when finished it will accelerate at 8g forwards and 4g in reverse.

I had learnt about small ship building but the base was the domain of others. By building a base from scratch I understand how that works too, Plus the modularity of the upper part of the base meant I could increase its capacity up to a max 27 units and still expand upwards. Each unit has a nuclear power plant, gyro, refinery, assembler and large storage, all linked with conveyors. The hangar deck could dock 9 small ships ( soon to be upgraded to 18) plus there are further external docking connectors on the top and bottom of the base.

Luckily I have been keeping a copy of every ship in a separate save But I will just repair the modular base. The initial repairs are all done I just need to weld it all up. but my 2 welding ships and my grinding ship were lost in the explosion so I built a welder and grinder today. Tonight I can weld it and it will be as new.