Spartans Home

Sata 3 Hard Drives

Athlon64~SPARTA~

Now to finish what I started to do yesterday, after the IE11 bedockle, is to let my Sparta friends know about the new sata 3 mechanical hhds out there now that are real affordable and are a lot less then the SSds and are a lot larger in size for a lot less if you didn't know about them already, you do now.

Western Digital has came out with a whole line of them=RED=Black-Green=blue. Prices are like 1 TB for $50 something are real good.

wd_zpsd49ecba9.jpg

And Seagate has a whole new line up as well, The Barrcudia and another new one

nas-value-hdd-dyn-gallery-400x400_zpsd61These thing spin at the regular speed and give you the 6 gigs a sec @ 7200rpm, unless you get the high speed Raptor @ 10,000 rpm. Just remember to do a clean install, if you use the clone software it will copy everything over at sata 2 speed and you will still be at sata2, Of coarse you have to have a sata 3 board as well to support sata3

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

RED is the best value, about £100 for 3TB

for the future proofing of DATA, I would say SSD is the way for boot.

RED Drives in raid (mirror) is very good.

I used a 128,256 & not 512GB & I can say 256-512GB for boot is a must, but many will not be able to go this route as it's

300-400 $$$

but performance & reliability is unbelievable.

HDD are like VHS & Cassette tapes, going to history.

IMHO

3TB reds FTW ;)

ieuGZEG.gif

possibly looking at a pair of 2.5" blacks mirrored for storage if i ever get around to upgrading my rig.
SSD where it counts though, 250GB for boot, 500GB for steam

Edited by PANiC

I just picked up a blue 500gig the guy at tigerdirect told me the blue and black are better for boot and red is more for data storage, and they are a western digital certified retailer. SSds will last longer and are the best bet, I don't think I will risk a lot to a Raid, maybe a SSD raid, but not a mechanical raid. Having 4 tb of movies go poof is not a good thing. But its all good. I burn em to disk

Thanks for this info, I've been thinking about a new build for a while now so this is interesting.

How do these things match up with an SSD for boot times though? I like SSD boot times and small light, cool form factor, but I like the mass storage of HDDs for photos and movies.

current nas has 4 x 3TB drives, RAID 5 giving me just over 8TB of storage.

just out of interest (because i'm not a smart man), how would you store this much data? #1 giving data redundancy #2 cheap #3 accessable. the data is not critical, so no backup is required, i'd just prefer not to have "4 tb of movies go poof" so to speak. any advise welcome.

Thanks for this info, I've been thinking about a new build for a while now so this is interesting.

How do these things match up with an SSD for boot times though? I like SSD boot times and small light, cool form factor, but I like the mass storage of HDDs for photos and movies.

transfer speeds are not even in the same ball park, blacks depending on size are not going to get much over 150MB/s (not bad for mechanical), whereas any SSD worth it's salt will be pushing 500MB/s read. with 0 seek time, SSD is a class of it's own. no one should be buying a mech drive for booting anymore.

if you only want one drive, then hybrid? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-414-WD&groupid=1657&catid=1660&subcat=1893

Edited by PANiC

current nas has 4 x 3TB drives, RAID 5 giving me just over 8TB of storage.

just out of interest (because i'm not a smart man), how would you store this much data? #1 giving data redundancy #2 cheap #3 accessable.

the data is not critical, so no backup is required, i'd just prefer not to have "4 tb of movies go poof" so to speak. any advise welcome.

Panic,

I have 2x - 4x3TB raids, total available 16.5TB

raid1_zpsfc58c7e7.png

raid2_zps2ef27550.png

I too have a problem, how to backup the RAIDS !!!

You might say, you don't need too, but 5 months ago I lost a complete Raid, double corruption of 2 drives.... total loss.

Rare but it happens, the logical solution in the past was to backup a raid by TAPE, http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/tapestorage/tapedrives/

These are still the top solution.

Second solution is to the cloud, a remote storage area in the internet, but 16TB is alot of upload !!!

Not an option for me.

There is a third solution that today makes sense.

To backup hard drives !!! yes to a set of none raid single drives acting like CD ROMS but each one 3 or 4 TB !!!

3TB RED drive is around £100 in the UK !!

16TB needs6 of these 3TBx6=18TB

Total cost for archive is £660

For my lost data to be valid means it must be worth more than £700 & be replaceable, it was worth more & I can not replace it !! lost.....

So my solution is this third option !!!!

Cheaper if you have less data & you can store it remotely (you families house, in a safe or at a safe deposit box).

I back up the raids 1 to 2x a year

:)

looks like you are storing the data incorrectly aswell m8 - by using a "mechanical raid".

SSds will last longer and are the best bet, I don't think I will risk a lot to a Raid, maybe a SSD raid, but not a mechanical raid. Having 4 tb of movies go poof is not a good thing. But its all good. I burn em to disk

I have a 240 SSD in my machine now,I thought ide try a blue for movie storage and game storage instead of filling up my SSd. Got the wife a 1 tb for her machine= Seagate Barrcuda. If any goes poof, I can redownload the movies at any time and reinstall the games if needed. I ran the same WD 160 cavair sata 2 for 5 years and never had a problem, Although Dogface had a WD raptor bite the dust after 3 or 4 years, so you never know. Run what you like. I just want to let you all know their out now. I my self burn all the movies to disk, so I will have a lot of disks, they are cheap, and will allways be there, and I have a player at every tv in the house. Not worried about all this digital streaming stuff to lock up and not detect screw up and crash and fail. Drop in a disk and wacth.

Why would one want to store all that info for anyway? maybe= Nasa spaceshuttle launch program complete design and construction operateing system 2.0?