Spartans Home

DayZ is Out!

EMT~SPARTA~

First Spawn - I'm on the beach with nothing but a flashlight...Its cold and i'm hungry. Lets see what I can find. 30 minutes of scavenging has provided me with water, a rotten banana, and a hammer. I see a stranger in the distance, but he is being swarmed by zombies...I can't help him. 5 min later, a baseball bat clocks my head from behind. Scared out of my mind, I run out of the building to see my attacker close behind. It's the poor sap I observed earlier. He is bleeding a lot more than me, so i know I just have to outpace him till he passes out. Sure enough...down he goes. Unfortunately, I pass out from blood loss soon after.

Second Spawn - This life has been much smoother than my first. My only problem came when I actually had to fight a zombie. Once you attack one, the others will come. But I discovered you can use a shirt to make a bandage! Cold and alone, i wandered through the city, hoping to find just enough to head north. I found a friend...he became almost like a security blanket, with his superior gear, he made me feel safe when shit hit the fan...but as quick as I found him, he disappeared. Alone again, but back on my feet, I went north. To my luck, finding a map proved to be worth its weight in gold. I discovered a hidden military base just west of my location. With no one else knowing of its location, I was safe to take my time. With my night running out, I sat down in some trees with a weapon, tons of food, but no can opener, and water to last me through the night.

• 8 months later...

Bought this last week as all my Dayz mod servers seem to be dead or dying?

Have to say I'm really enjoying it so far, gameplay is smoother than the mod, gfx are slightly better and the complexity of survival looks like it will make it an interesting game.

I'm on my 6th life and settling into things. After spawning just south of Vybor (lucky me) I was able to navigate through the town, grabbing bits of food, drink and the such like. A weapon came quickly by virtue of a fireman's axe, which enabled me to despatch a few zed's that even my quiet skulking still managed to attract.

I eventually found my way to the NW airfield and further scavenging brought better clothes, bigger backpack and an AK to supplement the axe.

There seems to be a lot of ammo around but I soon discovered that without the appropriate magazine it's worthless, illustrated perfectly by my Makarov and 70 rounds of 380 auto but no means to load, not even a single round in the breach.

Food and water are plentiful, bandages can be crafted from clothes but it would seem only those items in pristine condition.

Melee combat is still frustrating, although the ability to punch is a novel albeit risky inclusion.

I'm currently hunkered down at the SE corner of the airfield and my plan for the next visit on is to complete a search of the airfield in the hopes of finding an elusive pistol mag, then to head off toward one of the bigger towns.

For those still considering the stand -alone and like me, never happier than zombie bashing, I'd recommend this highly.