Spartans Home

ROME II - understanding regions > provinces

BrerRabbit~SPARTA~

In TS last night someone (I forget who) was having some trouble and asking a number of questions, and since the game doesnt clearly spell these answers out Ill try and do so here.

Note on parlance. In Rome 2 a region is a single zone with single town/city. A region is always tied to one or two other regions to form a province. Ill explain later how that works.

First, a minor question that will tie back into the larger lesson about regions/provinces. "Why cant I recruit cavalry?" OK, so first you have to have the correct building in order to recruit cavalry. So for me, playing the Averni of Gaul, I need to build Enclosed Land, and then Horse Pens, which will then allow me to recruit light cavalry in that region. I can only recruit that light cavalry into an army that is in the region that has the Horse Pens building. This changes later with provinces which Ill now try to explain.

Regions/Provinces

When you click on a town/city you own you will see in the region window that pops up one or two other regions that your region is associated with. These regions form a Province if and when you control all those regions. Once you establish a Province you gain all manner of benefits and your faction gets a large bump in power.

For example, in my Averni campaign, I have managed to capture Bibracte, Cenabum, and Namnatum. So now I control the Province of Bibracte/Cenabum/Namnatum. First, gaining control of my first Province bumped up the number of generals, admirals, and agents I could have. Also, it allows me to set a Province wide Edict to get extra bonuses (I chose Bread and Circuses, so those regions are having a celtic disco party and getting fat and drunk). Lastly, recruiting of forces now became much easier. I had a Horse Pens in Bibracte, but I could only recruit cavalry when my army was in Bibracte. But now that Bibracte is part of Bibracte/Cenebum/Namnatum I can recruit cavalry into any army in that Province.

So, when starting your campaign keep an eye on what regions are tied together because forming Provinces are key boosting your power.

Anyway, I hope this helped anyone with questions. Im learning the game myself so if Ive made mistakes here please correct me.

Cheers.

Edited by BrerRabbit~SPARTA~