Spartans Home

Cycling in Provence (France).

Zeno~SPARTA~

Twice a week I go out for a 3 1/2 - 4 hour ride on my bicycle. I ride up a hill called Col de Murs which is a 6km climb. Here are a few photos of my journey today.

La Roque Sur Perne:

One hour into the ride and most of the way up the first climb. This is the view ahead, the next picture is the view behind.

Roquesurpernes2_zps74fca8aa.jpg

Roquesurpernes1_zps1d314ac9.jpg

At This point I have finished the first climb and heading back down to St. Didier

Roquesurpernes3_zps203bfab5.jpg

St Didier

After riding for 1 1/2 hours I get past St Didier. From here I have a nice view of Vaucluse, which comes from the latin Vallis Clausa (closed valley). From here you can see into the valley and part of the Dentelles de Montmirail. I have stopped near a cherry orchard.

StDidier1_zpsa22317ea.jpg

Venasque:

10 minutes further is Venasque, a picturesque village with a nice church. But I will be riding past Venasque to a higher venue.

Venasque_zps5d14e13f.jpg

Col de Murs

After 2 hours on the bike I can see my objective, but there is still a grind to get there

Col_de_Murs_zpsa868aa04.jpg

Eventually I complete the climb, drink some water and turn back. But from here I could have dropped down to Gordes (which I have done in the past). But when I ride home from that direction there is a lot of traffic. For those of you that do not know about Gordes here is a picture I took when I last rode there

Gordes_zps5773d713.jpg

But I didnt go that way today. On the way back I passed a fellow cyclist walking down the hill who had suffered a double puncture. I gave him one of my inner tubes, which he used on the rear and was going to ride back to Pernes with a flat front. Last wednesday I too suffered a double puncture, but I alway carry 2 innertubes.

These pictures do little to convey the beauty of the region, the orchards, the vineyards, the perfumes of the different plantlife and the tranquility. Although worn out I always feel great after these rides.

Z

I'd love to visit and see the vineyards & any of the historical battlefield locations.

My Father in law goes almost every year to northern France to visit battlefield locations, he has a house full of mainly WWII stuff.

Whilst there are plenty of vineyards, there are no battlefields in southern France (that I know of). All major battles throughout history have been in northern France, mostly with the english and a couple of times with the germans. There is a lot of Roman influence, but despite Asterix the gaul I dont know of any battles even that far back.

Wasn't there a huge industrial/mining complex somewhere around that area? Or am I thinking of Spain?

Either way, what a beautiful place. I keep telling myself I'm going to retire and move to Latvia with the wife and live out our days in peace and tranquility, but it'll probably be taken over by the Russians by that time, lol.

The nearest industrial town is Marseilles, about 100 km to the south. Lyon is to the north, I think around 250 km away. Avignon, which is only 15 minutes from my place has no industry that I know of, but has got a lot of history. The main activity over here seems to be agriculture and associated businesses (mills and such).

I think, that for bike riding, this area is paradise. Mountainous areas are as pretty if not prettier, but it would be hard to motivate yourself to regularly ride a bicycle on a mountain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went out today on a slightly different route. On Friday I had tumble, luckily I only banged my head, which has proved to be very hard over the years, unfortunately I broke a spoke on the wheel so I cannot use my road bike for now so I have to my mountain bike.

Anyway here are a couple of photos from this route.

These are a couple of photos of Saumane

20130922_100351_zps8ae61c45.jpg

20130922_095443_zpsd785acee.jpg

Jean Reno ( a french actor probably best known in the US for his role in Leon the Professional) recently purchased this house,

20130922_102222_zps89913b0b.jpg

He has nice views

20130922_102414_zps617b5add.jpg

and finally Mt Ventoux

20130922_104252_zps71e6f8f0.jpg

P, Mt Ventoux will be ascended again when I am 60, so 3 years to prepare.

:bike: :dog_skating:

I like this post and want to one day post some of Tennessee and Kentucky scenes cept I won't be riding a bike ...maybe from a boat would be a good theme.

Thanks for the ride along Zeno keep them coming!