Spartans Home

New GFX Card fitted

Rocky

Gotta love ebuyer, my GPU (8800GTS) packed in last night, ordered a replacement at 1130pm last night and it arrived before tea time today, awesome.

The PC would not even safe boot so I thought I was in for a rebuild, but I slapped in my new 660 today and BANG, PC good as new. I guess my old 8800GTS just couldn't stand the hot weather we are getting here this summer sad.png

660.JPG

Bonus : Came with free digital downloads of Splinter Cell Blacklist and Metro Last Light. I don't think the SC title is out until next month though.

Bonus 2, the card's so good my PC even boots faster, figure that one out.

Have this same card and I love it.. thinking of getting another to do duel..

You gotta be careful dueling graphics cards.
For one, if they ain't bred for it, you won't have much of a fight and the crowd will get angrier than a bear trapped in a beehive. Last thing you want during a fight is an angry crowd, 'cause they'll turn on you faster than a fox on a hen. But cha' gotta be careful, cause if they ARE bred for it, they're such a volatile creature that the slightest glance can set them off on a murderous rampage. You ever seen a 660 maul a man? I have, and let me tell you, that's one sight you won't soon forget. We couldn't even string him back together enough for an open burial, so his family ended up cremating the remains. Poor bastard didn't even see it comin'.
Now the key to breeding a good 660 is discipline. You're creating a weapon, a fearsome creature of destruction. You sure as hell don't want it to be temperamental, 'cause the next time you try to transport the sucker he might decide he's had enough of your little power trip and might decide--then and there--that you'd probably make a mighty fine meal. You want that beast to be so utterly devoted to you that it wouldn't dream of touching a hair on your head. And on the flip side be such a cruel sum'bitch that anything OTHER than you won't last a second in the ring. And that takes discipline, sure as eggs take a chicken.
Now I been dueling cards for more years than I can count, so when I say I know a thing'er'two 'bout dueling, you best believe me. A 660 is mighty fine stock, so you got that going for you, but these other folks been dueling a lot longer than you have, some as long as me. If you ain't careful, if you ain't a hundred percent on your game, they're gonna tear you apart sonny. See, half of 'em are about as bad as their beasts, if not worse. Pets take after their owners, as they say. So watch your step--and if you want to succeed, if you want to be the best dang'on dueler this side of the world, you need to act the part. So chin up sonny! Back straight, shoulders squared, tuckus tight! You want them to take one look at you and think "That's the meanest sum'bitch I've ever seen". 'Cause that's how you win, sure as feathers on a goose.
Listen to me and you might survive. Listen to me--and you might just be world champ.

Have this same card and I love it.. thinking of getting another to do duel..

Before I bought I was reading reviews on ebuyer and more than one user said they had done or had planned to, dual this card, and were saying it would save hundreds over buying the equivalent single card.

@ zeno, that 8800 was awesome, it was running GRID2 without a stutter (no, it wasn't on all LOW), and pretty much any game I tried, it coped with it. Only GR Future Soldier brought it to its knees.

I actually dismantled it tonight and found out why it died, where the fan blows cool air on to the fins on the heatsink, there was a think blanket of dust. Impossible to clean without a dismantle. No air was getting onto the fins at all, so it was overheating. I cleaned it up and stuck it back in, but too late, there must have been a meltdown somewhere :(

No criticism of the 8800, I've had 2, just surprised it lasted so long. Both of mine died long ago, but while they worked they were awesome.

Yeh If I had dismantled mine earlier and removed that dust blanket, mine would still be okay too. They should really design these things with easy access to the heat sink fins.

Nice card Rocky

Yer my 8800 died a couple years back, i remember when those bad boys came out! was like component p0rn!

Rocking the GTX 480 at the moment, does get hot though! fans are cracked on full in this heat.

+1 for ebuyer! get most of my parts there, cheaper than OC and Scan usually.

Congrats

Edited by Krambo

Heat killed of the 8800 Cards. They ran at around 80-90 degrees c. Had 2 8800GTX Cards and both died after 2 years. Didn´t bother to get a 3rd Card on the waranty.

I am also into getting a budget rig build in near future so might consider the 660 gpu buut i am more an AMD guy so probably end up buying a 7950.

Heat killed of the 8800 Cards. They ran at around 80-90 degrees c. Had 2 8800GTX Cards and both died after 2 years. Didn´t bother to get a 3rd Card on the waranty.

I am also into getting a budget rig build in near future so might consider the 660 gpu buut i am more an AMD guy so probably end up buying a 7950.

Almost got a 660 as a replacement for my 4780 ready for Arma3 but plumped for a 7870. It came out comparable in Tom's reviews etc and critically was almost £50 cheaper than the 660. Performance is great and it will be interesting to see how it measures up against the final Arma3 release.

How did you manage to keep an 8800 running for so long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had a GTX 8800 i gave it to a friend , he refuses to put it in its been over +24 months (i stopped giving him stuff)

have fun with the new card.. i tghink you notice the difference hihi

• 1 month later...

There's upgrading to a new card, and there's upgrading to a card multiple generations above the one you own.

A 7850 is a pretty good card, and that's also a decent price. I have a 6870, and when I got it I had to pay about 160$ I believe. Hoping the 8000 series is amazing (haven't really heard anything on it, however). If not, I have no qualms with switching to nvidia, as brand loyalty to me lasts only as long as the brand stays on top of the competition (or at least is about equal).