Spartans Home

Home gas fireplace

So, my fiancee and I are looking to install a gas fireplace/stove in our new home. We've been doing some shopping around and have an idea of what we want but I thought Id shake the Sparta idea tree and see if anyone has any thoughts, advice, experiences to share.

Our current favorite is the Heat-n-Glow Paloma:

http://www.heatnglo.com/en/Products/Paloma-Gas-Stove.aspx

heat-and-glo-paloma-stove.jpg

Where does the exhaust go? Those things will use up all the o2 in the room leaving you sick or dead if one isent carefull.

Dangers of using a free standing gas fireplace

A word of caution here: do not ever install a high output BTU natural ventless fireplace in a small room thinking that it will heat faster or more efficiently; it will not. Instead, it will create a dangerous situation that could result in serious injury or death.

That’s because even though ventless fireplaces are called ‘ventless,’ there is no such thing as something being truly ventless. A better term for it would be a free standing gas fireplace. This is because any flame that doesn’t have a vent simply extinguishes itself; without oxygen, fire dies.

So, what you’re really dealing with when you get a vent free gas fireplace is ductless technology for the flame. What this means is they actually vent out into the room which is what makes the air volume (and thus, size of the room as compared to BTU output) so important. If you get the wrong sized BTU for your room, there is a chance of carbon monoxide poisoning, depletion of oxygen and increased humidity in the air (which increases mold, mildew and allergies).

This is why it is so important to measure the room that you plan to use the ventless gas fireplace in. Be sure to measure the length, width and height. Then, check on the manufacturer’s recommendation for each unit’s BTU output to see if that fireplace is right for your room’s size. You may need to convert to square footage (width X length) or cubic square feet (length X width X height).

Also never use a ventless gas fireplace in a bedroom. If you fall asleep and use up too much of the room air you might end up with CO (carbon monoxide) poisoning if you wake up.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~