Spartans Home

Wargame: AirLandBattle

BrerRabbit~SPARTA~

Yeah I play a lot of Wargame Airland Battle, I like it a lot over Wargame Europeon Escalation. I think I play more WGAB then I did with WGEE. I like the newer terrain maps, over the old ones. I like how there are mountains and the trees clusters seem more randomly placed. The Ability to fortify towns is a nice addition. Planes add a new dynamic to game and it seems that there are every plane from the era that I can think of. 10 vs 10 maps can be laggy, depends on if some players DC or have bad ping. single player skirmish lags also, I don't know if its from the number of AI controlled players that use up a lot of PC resource?

Anyways I play this game often and Always game for some mutiplayer.

• 2 weeks later...

Some official news.

Game launches tomorrow. Wednesday 29th, at 6 PM (Paris time, GMT+1), which should be noon EST.

They will be ditching command starts altogether so there will be no unit unlocks in the live game, all units will be available to players right at launch.

And then theres this badassness:

Anyone looking to do a 1v1 campaign let me know.

Skaz and I signed up for our first ranked battle last night - 2v2 team ranked. For some retarded reason we were paired against two very high ranked players (the game doesnt let you see the opponents rank till after the match). To say these guys had their shit together would be a massive understatement. But their terrible ping first got one kicked mid-match, and then the other kicked 3 min before time ran out. So we "won" despite getting our butts kicked.

Ranked games have such an intensity to them that I dont know if Skaz and I will be trying again - we may just be happy with our 1-0 record and retire.

Those campaign screenshots look badass. Enough to make me get back into it after my measly 2-3 hours the day or two after I bought it.

Plus doing some campaign first would (in theory) make me suck less when I actually play more multiplayer. I look forward to that, in any case.

Those campaign screenshots look badass. Enough to make me get back into it after my measly 2-3 hours the day or two after I bought it.

Plus doing some campaign first would (in theory) make me suck less when I actually play more multiplayer. I look forward to that, in any case.

Playing the campaign will help you to a degree - much more than the tutorials. If anything, it will teach you the various units, and how to make due with less. I suggest playing the full campaign, "War in the North," on at least hard setting.

The following is a message for all those having trouble in multiplayer (that is, if your losses are consistently higher than your kills) let me give you some advice (take if your leave it, but I think its fair to say that Ive a better kill/loss ratio than anyone else we play with, and this is how I do it):

Brer's (aka Gora sahib's) three maxims for success in digital warfare

1. "Git thar fustest with the mostest" - N.B. Forest

Despite his activities post Civil War, there's no doubting Forest was a brilliant cavalry commander. What Forest's military maxim is telling us is that arriving at the critical location first and with more stuff (or more firepower) will generally allow you to carry the day. This concept is particularly applicable to W:ALB. Here's how to apply it.

First, when starting a match, look at the terrain and layout of the map in the area you've agreed to take for your team, and determine what will be the critical locations in that area you need to occupy to take and hold that area. These will be the places you need to get to "fustest." Second, determine what units will best allow you to take and hold said area - this will be your "mostest." I can not emphasis more the take and hold. It is not take, abandon, and attack. Job one is to take and hold your assigned area.

2. Patience is a freaking virtue

A young bull and an old bull are standing on a hill looking down on a pasture full of cows. The young bull says, "Hey, old man, lets run down this hill and fuck one of those cows. The old bull shakes his head had says, "No. Lets walk down this hill, and then fuck them all."

Be patient in W:ALB. If theres some voice in your head saying "I should be doing something" but you dont know what it is you are to be doing, then DO NOTHING! It is 1,000 times better to sit and hold than to go off on some half baked attack. Conducting successful attacks (that is attacks that dont bleed you dry) in W:ALB take a lot of skill and practice. If you are unsure about how to attack, if you dont know what you are attacking into (i.e. you did not properly recon the area), if you dont have the proper forces to attack (combined arms of tanks/infantry/arty/air/helos etc), then for the love of Mike, DO NOT ATTACK.

Be patient and wait for the best opportunity to attack. More likely than not the guy opposite you will get bored and conduct a shit attack and lose a ton of units. Giving you a reward for your patience and the best opportunity for you to now attack. NOTE: this does not mean you sit on your ass at the start of a match. The early phase of a match demands swift movement to the critical areas.

So applying maxims 1 & 2 your actions for the opening and middle of a match should be: move to critical locations > set up kill zones > wait and look for opportunity.

3. It takes as many tools to dismantle a house as it does to built it.

Attacking in W:ALB is tricky. Yes, you may get lucking now and again with rushes, or gimmicky tricks, or with massed mobs of tanks without support. Yes, sometimes you can take advantage of a situation with ad hock forces at your disposal and attack and succeed. But if you want to consistently attack successfully without suffering horrendous losses, you have to employ the 5 Ps. Proper Preparation Prevents ... blah blah, you know it.

Have all your tools ready for when you attack. Remember, if your foe is good at all he will have already set up a kill zone of tanks, ATGMs, AA, AAA, infantry, helos, etc etc etc. So if you just blunder into this blind and with out a variety of units, shit will turn ugly fast. Combined arms is your friend. Being able to call on the whole variety of firepower in W:ALB is the best way to break a defense. And again, take your time. A hurried and uncoordinated attack will end in tears and cries of "OMG such-in-such unit is OP!" When really it was your own inept attack that resulted in all those burning tanks and downed planes.

* Retreat is NOT an ugly word

A final comment. If you are being pushed out of an area, learn to understand when its time to just bug out. Pick a good location for a new line of defense and set up there. There is no shame what-so-ever in retreating. It is far better to abandon a sector, and set up a new defense, than to wastes tons of units and points trying to hold onto something you are going to lose anyway. Cut your losses and pick new ground. Chances are you will get payback later in the match. More units and points are wasted in this way by new players than even in sloppy attacks, dont throw good money after bad.

Edited by BrerRabbit~SPARTA~