Spartans Home

New Idea for Arma 3

EMT~SPARTA~

Hello Spartans,

Since I've started work, I have had the opportunity to sit in traffic every day for 45 min ...during those wonderful times, I have thought about different missions we could play for Arma 3. Well, a light bulb went off today.

Island: Stratis

Mission Type: Player Vs. Player*

*I've come to this conclusion because of the popularity of wasteland and from my own experiences.

Main Idea: Two teams (blue vs. Red) are positioned on the North and South ends of the map. Each side has a number of F.O.B.s that the player may spawn at.
Each team must capture each F.O.B. in order to win the mission. Each FOB has a flag pole in the middle. In order to capture the FOB, you must raise your flag. Player Size: 32 vs. 32, larger the better!

The vehicles would be limited to troop transportation in order to focus on firefights, rather than tank battles. Same with Aircraft

Weapons would be unlimited, but scopes would be limited to close range (red dot, iron sights). No snipers sitting on hills and doing nothing. We need lead down range, not one guy ruining the experience for everyone.

Players may spawn in any captured FOB, only if there are no enemies in the area. Once a FOB is under attack, no spawns will be allowed, other than at other FOBs (as reinforcements).

Now, you may be saying "EMT, this has been done before." Yes it has, but at a larger scale with Bots included as well. Since the island is much smaller, there are more focus points and less wandering around with nothing to do. If you have played Arma 3 lately, you know of all the great FOBs on the island.

I want everyone to focus on the experiences you have, rather than your score or who won. If you are defending the FOB and your squad are the last ones holding, I want you to feel the hopelessness and desperation as you try to hold as long as you can. Your teammates may come, but nothing is for certain.

Please remember, I came up with this while driving in the car. Let me know what you think!

Another detail - When you get shot, you do the normal lay on your back and wait for someone to heal you, but your vision slowly narrows and fades to black. That would be your timer to death. It would have to be somewhat quick. A sense of urgency.

yes yes yes yes yes u read my mind oh man oh man i just might oh oh yep i just did damn lol :) well emt im in with countless others that would love to play that hope we can get it worked out and in the mean time lets play some arma 3. Lets get this rolling.

I like the idea, but would like to suggest a little change.

If you want to stress tactics, I'd say instead of unlimited weapons with limited scope possibilites, make it a fixed kit mission. That way everyone has a role to play. That way, you could also have a sniper team (shooter/spotter) that can be used as a force multiplyer.

I think EMT is really trying to stray away from the sniper outfit. Most times, people run and jump into that kit before any other.

Feedback

1. You would want spawn protection. This should be in the form of not allowing the opposite team to get within a certain distance of enemy spawn. Would prefer as well if this was obfuscated, so that you don't know immediately where the team will leave their spawn from.
  2. Spawn would have only the most basic of kits, and force you to go capture a FOB to upgrade to better rifles, etc
  3. Would a certain FOB have more to offer than another, or are they all equal in reinforcements? Ie, one FOB may have only transport vehicles at it, and no ammo box. What of weapon emplacements like MG guns?
  4. I like the inability to spawn on a FOB that has enemies near. I would add in some kind of warning announcement system to indicate activities on map coming from Command.
  5. Can you capture any FOB at any time, or is there a progression such as only capture FOB's adjacent to spawn or an owned FOB?
  6. Clarify win condition.. You must own all FOBs? So the second someone raises the last flag they win? How long does it take to raise a flag? Can they raise the flag if anyone from defending team is near (imagining the AO camps from Domination here)
  7. How is death handled? Allow revives? Immediate fade to black and must pick a FOB to spawn at, forcing quick turnaround?

1) Agree

2) I believe you should be able to get any weapon at your main base, but if you want ammo boxes at your FOB, you must load them into a vehicle and bring them up. So if you want to spawn at a certain FOB and have ammo, you need to resupply it. If you feel you are going to lose a FOB, you would blow up the Ammo!

3)Yes, each side could have one FOB that offers little birds for transportation (Airport for north, Air Station for South). Maybe the center FOB would offer Lite vehicles with Weapons on them? FOBs should have some kind of weapon emplacement. Maybe MGs? Maybe one mortar with very small range? That may be to OP

4) Agree, Waffle could you tell us how they would alert you to an attack? Would you just hear shots and know? Or some kind of warning system? Maybe when a FOB is under attack, we could have a voice over with waffle using the correct terminology.

5)I would like to be able to capture any FOB at any time, so you could target more important ones, such as the air base. This way, a small team could really put a thorn in the side of the enemy.

6) Win condition = You must capture all FOBs. The Seconds the last flag is raised, you win. I would expect someone to be able to raise a flag in 5 seconds? 10 seconds? But you could only raise it when the FOB is clear.

7)Allow revives like domination, but instead of a timer, you would fade to black. So you could be laying there and see your life slipping away. "Hurry up, I'm passing out" Voice fades into silence...I think a 45 second fade to black would be good? Could always make it shorter or longer with testing. MAybe we could randomize it so players don't know how much time they have left? So random % chance between 30 seconds and 1:30 with the median being 60 seconds? Bell Curve?

iq_bell_curve.gif

When I get home, I will DL the Stratis map and put it into paint. I will map out where I think all the FOBs should be and see if we can come up with some good spawns.

This is what I came up with for Locations

Red Circles are Potential FOBs

Stars are Radio Towers....I thought we could make something with those

Blue circles are Spawns

On the south west of the Airfield is a rather large circle. We may need to create a FOB there in order to balance the map. But that FOB is optional.

post-480-0-99686100-1365192628_thumb.png

As for a warning that a FOB is under attack. I would have it through the command system. Like have it state "FOB Geronimo" is attack. And the the team that already has is control would then have to call off their attacks at other FOBs to defend it, or sacrifice it for the capture of another FOB.

Also EMT, is there going to be any indirect fire support for the squads? Or is it going to be purely shoot and scoot with the infantry. If no on the support that would play into an even bigger infantry based understanding and tactics... Like have and designating base of fire elements, machine gun teams, rocket teams and so forth.

I like the map size and the spawn locations but as for how far the FOBs are from each other. They really wouldn't be close enough to really support each other in the case a FOB gets attacked.... Furthermore are spawns going to be unlimited or maxed out like say 250 spawns?

Warning system and the amount of time it requires to take a FOB should be balanced out. If you get a warning on someone attempting to capture flag, but it only takes 10-15 seconds to take the flag, not much point to a warning. I'd think you would want to hold the location for maybe a minute.. extended time will make you worry if someone was going to round the corner vs sliding into home base for a win. And the warning bell could kick off when someone gets in range of the flag.

Also, 15 FOBs may be a bit much. Sounds like you want to focus people into small arms fights, not playing a hopscotch game running past each other all the time. Maybe use 7 or 11, with a geometrically balanced setup like:

S

o o o

V o o o V

o o o

S

S= Spawns

o = Normal FOBs

V = FOB w/ vehicles

If we're going to have warnings when FOBs are under attack, we'll want much longer than one minute to capture the FOB, considering the distances in ArmA and the pretty much realistic travel times involved.

So either you have to hold a FOB for quite a few minutes before you can raise the flag, or there's no point for the warning. If we want a shorter capture time, I'd suggest just using the command system to let the team know when a FOB has been captured so they at least know without checking the map that the enemy is advancing.

And I still want snipers. :rolleyes:

Maybe there could be some sort of unlock system, where you can't use sniping until you have certain FOBs? You could have designated marksman at the least, and have the weapons needed only in certain ammo crates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...