Spartans Home

ARMA3 Server and Client Updates

Hajimoto

I have read a lot of postings on many forums that all basically deal with the same issues that repeat themselves it relates to the server and client dance. This post is not necessarily a guide or tutorial but more of a heads up. This heads up will be a stating of the obvious to some but may offer some insight to others that have not given it much thought.

Those that perform an administrative role in the maintenance and tweaking of the digital infrastructure of a community during an Alpha or Beta period will attest; revisions should be taken in baby steps. What happens is that there are many interconnected and reliant associations between the game's engine and mods/add-ons. When any one of these variables is changed, there is a serious possibility the entire process will become unstable. You may be saying "Well I don't use Mods" and I would say that the missions that you play utilize function calls and instructions that if changed, will render these missions inoperable.

I recently made a short response to a forum post were the original poster was making sure that administrators were aware that a server was in need of updating. The issue is that when the client receives or applies an update before the server, they are no longer in sync with the server and therefore are unable to join the asset. This is why most administrators adopt a brief evaluation period to be sure that all necessary interconnected and reliant associations (Mods, Missions Etc.) work well together.

Because Alpha & Beta essentially mean "change", a person needs to take precautions to insure that working systems and sub-systems on their end are safely backed up just in case a recent change breaks something that was previously stable. This can be as simple as making sure the installed program is not running and making a copy of the installed folder to a safe location. I recommend that at least two revisions be backed up so you always have a couple of options to go back two.

Once the evaluation period by the administrator is complete and all known issues are addressed, the green light is given to the community. This is the time that you should update your client. Because you are forced to use STEAM to play games like ARMA3, there are some features that are automatically default to perform actions that can break your installation. In STEAM there is an option that you can select that will stop your game installation from "UPDATING" automatically. This will allow for that waiting period that the administrators need to assess the changes that I spoke of earlier..

To disable automatic updates while in STEAM Library

• Right Click on the Game you want to stop Automatic Updates on
  • Left click PROPERTIES
  • Left Click UPDATE tab
  • Under AUTOMATIC UPDATES, select DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE THIS GAME
  • Click OK
  • Click CLOSE

You are now safe from having your client updated before you are ready for it to be.

Again people, to some all this is "Well Duh" but for some it is something that others think about and do and it is those people whom write the bulk of the posts that we read. During Alpha and Beta periods, it is as much an exercise in adaptation for the client as it is for the developers. Take ownership of your client side responsibilities so that the infrastructure elements can stay focused on correcting hiccups that the community reports.

Enjoy!

Just wondering. Is there a reason that no one has been playing Arma3 lately? Are new missions being worked on?

Great progress was being shown a few weeks ago by some dedicated members, and it looked like many hours of Arma3 were coming up.

The few battles I participated with Sparta were very enjoyable and involved excellent teamwork, an item that is hard to find on other servers.

I hope the "spark" did'nt go out, and more shoot-em-ups are on the way.

Still too Alpha for me Denny, I got it early because I like the Arma games and the way BIS treat the community but if I play it like it is now it will put me off.

To bad i am playing mostly on HAJImoto's server

awesome stuff good ping and FPS

tactical do i need to say more

come and join us in the crusade

we sure need the practice on the new stances and more

(my steam name KUAI*(ebe) )

my steam name

KUAI*(ebe)

look for me we do some ARMA_3 (missions or what everrrrrr)

Edited by EBE

Those that are interested in playing with US on the ECWC's ARMA3 ALPHA server, can contact me via STEAM or email Adminstrator@ecwc-hq.net, Also below my signature is a direct link to my STEAM info so you add me as a friend and communicate that way. All ECWC assets including TS3 are private and require a password/key to access them which helps keep the bad elements away.

Those that know me, know that our organization enjoys good tactical game play with organized comms and command structure which is why security is so tight. I have developed a Domination like mission that has over 11 AO's that are randomly selected and each has the familiar tower to be destroyed. The concept was originally one that MH6 created which I expanded on greatly.

Look forward to see some of your mugs :)

Thanks guys

Edited by Hajimoto

• 1 month later...

Hey Skele,

We have an Arma 3 server up, but most of us were a little disappointed with the alpha and are waiting for the full game to be released. Not enough content to really get into it.

I also know that many of the coders in the group are waiting for the full game before they start the process of coding a mission for us. Since Arma 3 is currently using the old language and hopefully will be switching to Java language.

But! A lot of us are playing Arma 2 again and having a blast with it. We also have a lot of new faces around who are really enjoying the game. Many of them Marines who saw combat in their time.

Always welcome to join us :)