Spartans Home

Arma3 Graphix Tweaking by Lighty

Lightspeed~SPARTA~

Hi fellas

I've been spending a lot of time trying to play around with the graphics to try to get something that looks good in game but also maintains the FPS as high as possible. After much tweaking I decided to start at everything set on Low and adjust every setting one at a time to see what affects FPS and then settle on the best medium.

I noticed some interesting things along the way:

Some of the tweaks that you would expect to have an impact did nothing at all to FPS despite improving the picture.

Some of the tweaks that had the biggest performance hit actually did not provide any noticeable or neglible improvement in details from the Lower settings.

So without going through the whole lot I thought I would show you what I have done which gives me a beautiful look in game and always keeps my FPS above 30 (in villages) and over 45 and up to 60 through the rest of the map which I think is more than satisfactory for gaming.

A quick run down of my specs - not the oldest machine but far from newest setup.

AMD x6 1100T OC to 3.9GHZ

8 GIG RAM @ 1600MHZ

ATI HD4870 1Gig DDR3

Image 1 -

video1y.jpg

Image 2 -

video2t.png

Image 3 -

video3p.jpg

Recommended Addons - these have no FPS hit!

Landtex retextures the long range view - much smoother - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149036-Landtex

Midrange Retexture - get rid of the blurry midrange textures for more detailed and realistic view (I recommend strong .pbo) - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150645-midrange-terrain-texture-replacement

So may or may not bring you joy with the tweaking but hope it helps some. Note: There is definitely a MP FPS issue which BIS are working on now - it seems to kill FPS over time in the server so don't use MP server for your testing.

Good Luck.

Edited by Lightspeed~SPARTA~

Lighty, are these figures what your seeing in SP rather than MP?

I'm running a quad core Intel at 3.4ghz, other than that my spec is the same as yours. In MP I'm only getting low 15 - 20 when the action hots up, into the 30 - 40 range when moving through terrain.

I shall check my settings against yours, update mine and see if I get any improvements.

only use what u need

(no shadowS no postproces no pip ni ppaa no high visibility u don't need !! no cloudS no particles ect..)

what u need is sharpnes in distance ( 1920x1080 (or ?) with low anti aliasing but textures on medium (or more or less) worx great on the EYE

so a low setting with high resolution is better

try in editor

http://fraps.nl.softonic.com/download

Edited by EBE

only use what u need

(no shadowS no postproces no pip ni ppaa no high visibility u don't need !! no cloudS no particles ect..)

what u need is sharpnes in distance ( 1920x1080 (or ?) with low anti aliasing but textures on medium (or more or less) worx great on the EYE

so a low setting with high resolution is better

try in editor

http://fraps.nl.softonic.com/download

CAN I GET A TRANSLATOR FOR THIS PLEASE!?

I wonder how my computer will cope with this?

Q9450

4GB DDR2 800

ATI 4890 1GB GDDR5.

I still haven't purchased the alpha.

Want an Invite for the Lite version, got shitloads

I found this link on BIS - I found better visuals and more FPS. The lines of code gave me an extra 4-5 FPS straight up - http://www.day0.com.au/forum/arma/70-arma-3-alpha-performance-tweaks-and-settings-guide

Also, you absolutely must use the midtexture replacement (new version - use Sharp2) - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150645-midrange-terrain-texture-replacement

Note: You must not use Landtex or you won't see the Midrange, and once you see this you won't miss Landtex at all!

Theres an update on steam today, Details:

DATA

• Showcase SCUBA:
    • More forgiving alarm threshold
    • Added more hints
    • Improved scenario endings
    • More rockets for the launcher added
  • Showcase Helicopters:
    • Performance optimizations
    • Few minor tweaks
  • Showcase Vehicles:
    • More forgiving alarm threshold
    • Few minor tweaks
  • MP: Escape from Stratis
    • Fixed: Mission success after resuming game
    • 'Combat Get In' module added
    • Respawn time is now 30 seconds (was 120)
    • Improved mission endings
    • New task appears when both choppers on the airfield are destroyed
    • New mission ending "all boats and helicopters destroyed"
    • Warning hint pops up when the group leader is AI controlled
    • Patrolling Ka-60 Black now unloads troops when under fire
    • More enemies at the airfield
    • Some new map locations populated
  • MP: Headhunters
    • "Exfiltrate" task is now set as current after all targets are eliminated
    • The mission will now end when either all players are near the exfil marker or in a boat
    • 'Combat Get In' module added

What's the Lite version entail? Low-res textures and stuff?

I guess I could always take that invite until I get a good paycheck so I can pay for an alpha... :rolleyes:

The Light version doesn't include any modding or online options but is useful to get to know the new features, reacquaint yourself with controls etc.

What's your STEAM name and I will send you the gift?

Lightspeed,

I have an older system that I was about 5 minutes short of giving up on being able to play Arma 3. I was running around 5-10 fps in multiplayer on very low settings which was little fun. I decided at the last minute to check the forums and ended up in this thread. After following the advice in your links, I'm now running 35-40 fps solid in multiplayer on high settings. This essentially saved any future with me and arma 3.

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for taking the time to post stuff like this.

The Light version doesn't include any modding or online options but is useful to get to know the new features, reacquaint yourself with controls etc.

What's your STEAM name and I will send you the gift?

Shinobi_EBDA

Might even work with ninja_seven

Cheers, mate!

I found this link on BIS - I found better visuals and more FPS. The lines of code gave me an extra 4-5 FPS straight up - http://www.day0.com.au/forum/arma/70-arma-3-alpha-performance-tweaks-and-settings-guide

Lighty, this link is dead at the moment, says account suspended. Don't suppose you have another way of getting the info to me?

Cheers, Watchy.

Edit: link's back active again, time to start meddling and see what happens! :allgood:

Edited by Watchman~SPARTA~

I haven't tried any tweaking yet, but I've tried the alpha lite version using the automatic settings and I have to say, it would appear to be running much better than ArmA2 did!

Will take a look at the tweaking once I get the actual alpha version!

Thanks again for the lite version, Dai-San!

• 3 weeks later...

i tried the 13.1 ati driver

sux in arma3

the best i found for me was 12.11 + 12.11 cap_2

difference in benchmark scenario was 2770 Vs +7700 do i need to say more !!

greetz

get some missionS going were u @ peoples.