Spartans Home

%)^^$(%*( computers!

Ebden~SPARTA~

Something went haywire a few weeks ago. No idea what it was, I couldn't successfully recover from any of my restore points, so I reinstalled W7x64.

The same thing has happened again! Startup sat and spun at the windows symbol. Restore points won't finish their restart from my boot CD, startup repair tells me there's some unspecified error preventing it from working. It may have to do with a windows update, which screwed it up last time. I know this laptop and my work machine both updated today, so possibly that shagged it up again. WTF? Is it a hardware issue? Bad HD?

Stupid machines. :ranting2:

Bad HDD, Bad memory, Bad over-clocking speed corrupting system files.

HDD is No.1

Always make restore backups to different drive than OS.

Do a scan disk to validate HDD.

CHKDSK the drive.

chkdsk logs

To view/read Chkdsk logs you should be able to view them via Event Viewer

1. Open the Start Menu, and type eventvwr.msc in the search box and press enter.

2. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes (Windows 7) or Continue (Vista).

3. In the left pane of Event Viewer, double click on Windows Logs to expand it, then right click on Application and click on Find.

4. Copy and paste Chkdsk into the line, and click on Find Next. (You can continue to click on Find Next to search for other older application logs, if available, for Check Disk (chkdsk) to see them as well.

5. You will now see the system log for the scan results of Check Disk (chkdsk). The log will have the Chkdsk tag if Check Disk is ran only from within Windows.

IF your HDD is 5+ years of use, change it, if it sat in a cupboard for 4 years & you used it for 1 yr. it probably is ok.

DO THE TESTS

MICROSOFT

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-vista/Check-your-hard-disk-for-errors

good luck.

HDD is a couple years old, but lots of use. I forgot to run tests yesterday, but I'll run 'em after work. Thanks for the tips, and I'll update as I diagnose.

No overclocking. Memory is also a couple years old, but the MS memory test found no errors.

No dice on chkdsk. The few lucky startups I've had seem to have worn out. I set the chkdsk to run on a reboot, but the machine stopped as it has before. Same rigamaroll, no dice. No recovery point worked, not sure if it's worth restoring from a backup onto this HDD. I can accept if it's toast. So suggestions, SSD or another standard drive? Whatever I replace the current drive with will probably be an improvement, unless I should be fussy with particulars on my 2009-build machine? :beatdeadhorse:

No dice on chkdsk. The few lucky startups I've had seem to have worn out. I set the chkdsk to run on a reboot, but the machine stopped as it has before. Same rigamaroll, no dice. No recovery point worked, not sure if it's worth restoring from a backup onto this HDD. I can accept if it's toast. So suggestions, SSD or another standard drive? Whatever I replace the current drive with will probably be an improvement, unless I should be fussy with particulars on my 2009-build machine? :beatdeadhorse:

I built a computer for my dad awhile and used a SSD as the primary HDD with only the OS... Definately worth it. Secondary drive (programs and games) is a 2TB.

Boot time is 5seconds from a cold start. no overclocking.

OK,

Unplug all unnecessary items, leave only essentials for this test.

Leave only:

PSU

Motherboard

Min ram sticks , one or two.

CPU & cooler

Video card

1x HD

THATS IT !!!!!!

UNPLUG everything else.

Now

plug in

1x keyboard

1x mouse

1x monitor

BOOT, safe mode if possible or normal.

IF IT BOOTS to windows, leave it for 2 hours & shut down,

QUESTION?

DID IT WORK ??

It started today, and went directly to run chkdsk.

details of the log are here. The only thing it points out is a volume bitmap free-space error of some kind.

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                         

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
 318208 file records processed.                                          File verification completed.
 955 large file records processed.                                      0 bad file records processed.                                        0 EA records processed.                                              89 reparse records processed.                                       CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
 426862 index entries processed.                                         Index verification completed.
 0 unindexed files scanned.                                           0 unindexed files recovered.                                       CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
 318208 file SDs/SIDs processed.                                         Cleaning up 2878 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2878 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2878 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream
 54328 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
 35232360 USN bytes processed.                                             Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
 318192 files processed.                                                 File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
 37593026 free clusters processed.                                         Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

246290431 KB total disk space.
 95342820 KB in 207655 files.
   147776 KB in 54331 indexes.
        0 KB in bad sectors.
   427727 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
150372108 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 61572607 total allocation units on disk.
 37593027 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 db 04 00 6c ff 03 00 68 a4 07 00 00 00 00 00  ....l...h.......
cb 04 00 00 59 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ....Y...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

So wtf?

Really though XViiiper, thanks for your input.