Spartans Home

Virtualisation

Luggage~SPARTA~

I am a voice and data networking man, so apart from providing gobs of bandwidth for V-motion and the like I don't touch the virtualisation 'stuff' It just provides me an excuse to go and play with DWDM and OTU2 :banana_dance:

Has anyone got any experience of the VMware free Hypervisor, installation knowledge etc.? I want to virtualise my ML110 G6 from WHS2011(basically small business server 2008 r2) to get away from the 8GB OS memory limit and run WHS2011 in one virtual and allow me to run up others as necessary.

I have a spare server ML 115 G5 which I don't mind trashing, so that can be used as a test bed.

Anyone brave enough? :winner_first:

Cheers

I've worked with ESXI now and then (and the full blown vSphere briefly). Installation is pretty easy. BUT and this is really important: You need another computer handy with the vsphere client installed on it in order to configure and manage the ESXI server, AFAIK you can't configure the machine locally, it has to be completely remote managed.

Other notes:

VMware lets you install ESXI into a VM with fairly respectable performance. This allows you to mess around with a esxi server without blowing things up first.

Might also help to get your dhcp server and reserve a known address for the box you're going to install to; by default esxi pulls a dhcp address and I don't know how to set a static address at this point.

And there is a way of virtualizing physical machines to VM's but I haven't played with it too much. http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/overview.html

Sorry can't be more help. I like vmware a lot but my company forces us to use virtualbox a lot (which is really really sad... when you run more then one vbox at the same time the whole system starts to choke.... gotten to the point where I just bought workstation on my own and just use it whenever the bosses aren't looking).