Spartans Home

DayZ Mission and Addon modding

SirSmokalot

I have a major f'in awesome idea for a DayZ spin off.

I've noticed a few things missing from DayZ that would enhance the game play greatly but retain most of the core values.

I've got some concepts written up and a gameplay design that will work with existing functions and classes I'm 99% sure of. Only thing I can foresee adding is a couple core vehicles (non-combat) that would mix it up a bit, and making some custom "markers" for a special dynamic map "key" players would have.

Already I've taken apart some of the "dayz_code" and "kh_taviana" to get a better idea on what goes on and whats compiled.

Has any of the Sparta mission maker's taken a look at DayZ mod code and missions?

So how about it? Anyone interested in looking at this with me?

I'll be off for Winter Break coming up after next week and will be working on this.

I'm sure you can get some of those in the DayZ channel to participate in testing. MH6 was actually helping rocket early on doing development for the DAyZ hive backend, but I think is taking a beak from Arma Dev until Arma 3 is out. I might have time during holidays, but it depends on how much my wife leaves me alone. :)

There was a similar DayZ mod being created based on 'Wasteland'.. where people could actually go out and gather items, and then bring them back to potentially craft weapons...

That's interesting!

My idea basically doesn't modify DayZ too much, just the map lay out, spawns, fix some vehicle spawns on Taviana (base map for this idea), along with others (can explain better over TS, find me).

In summary it encourages grouping together people than wondering aimlessly.

It's not much, but I've got some ideas cooking, may need some help in understanding some of DayZ's calls and functions to get it to do what I want. Mission files are tiny and compile from within DayZ I came to find.

If MH6 is up for it, I have some questions about the backend so I can have an understanding of how to implement what I want to happen. After doing some mission editing and addon modding, I'm pretty sure I can get there, however it would help having those with more mission editing experience to help a little if they are willing :)

That's interesting!

My idea basically doesn't modify DayZ too much, just the map lay out, spawns, fix some vehicle spawns on Taviana (base map for this idea), along with others (can explain better over TS, find me).

In summary it encourages grouping together people than wondering aimlessly.

It's not much, but I've got some ideas cooking, may need some help in understanding some of DayZ's calls and functions to get it to do what I want. Mission files are tiny and compile from within DayZ I came to find.

If MH6 is up for it, I have some questions about the backend so I can have an understanding of how to implement what I want to happen. After doing some mission editing and addon modding, I'm pretty sure I can get there, however it would help having those with more mission editing experience to help a little if they are willing :)

Just so you know, vehicle spawns and the like are stored in a back-end database, so unless you are running a private Hive server (and have database access to said server) you can forget about changing that. You may however be able to add your own custom spawning code.

what about booby trapping dead bandits with a grenade if you have one. so when they come back to loot their stuff back without the aid of a toolbox they'll blow up themselvws? same for car you find left around that you dont want to take.

@niall - That's a tough one in the sense of gameplay. As much as that would be hilarious, all you need is a "bambi" to come up to it and be mad about finding some nice trap. On the other hand could also spawn up a bear trap....he he. I think breaking a leg would be more justice...lol.

@MH-6 So far from what I've found from research that there's some lines you can use with spawning items, but shined upon in a certain sense.

Yes running a private hive with database access would be the way to go. With having something modified in the sense I'm thinking, this would not be on a public hive unless it was embraced with widespread (DayZ) community support. Not my goal, but if it happens, cool.

@Kalxen Thanks a lot for pointing me there, tons of questions answered from browsing their forums.

Even mentioned a little about a possible port of Sahrani, that would be real cool!

Also "stumbled" upon "DayZ+". Have you guys tried it?

whats a bambi is that a hacker whos disguised as a rabbit? i encountered one last week and he spawned a chopper on some french server.