Spartans Home

USAF ends "Blues Mondays"

AJsarge

According to an article on Stars & Stripes and word-of-mouth through my own unit, the USAF is ending the mandatory wear of the AF blue service uniform on Mondays. General Welsh (Head USAF general) made the decision to allow the MAJCOM commanders their choice on the matter. From the article, USAFE and PACAF (my command) extended that choice to their Wing commanders.

As of right now, I'm no longer required to wear my service uniform on Mondays. Instead I get to wear my ABUs/Flight Suit. Now they just need to extend some of the uniform requirements out of the Air Force-level 36-2903 clothing reg and give the MAJCOMs/wings more say in what their airmen wear. I miss my shiny black boots and squadron t-shirts for aircrew. Now I won't even be wearing the boots on Mondays with my blues.

Not that you have a say in the matter (we both know that you don't) but do you like the change?

It's nice that I don't have to deal with wearing them on Mondays, but I don't wear them all that often anyways so it's not a big deal to me. What I was annoyed with is when they outlawed black boots and shirts for flyers. That looked professional, compared to the green, fuzzy, I-don't-take-care-of-them-because-I-don't-have-to boots and "sand-colored" t-shirts.

Men with real AFSC's wear ABU's everyday not some nancy boy flight suit pajamas.

Until I see "Men" in ABU's doing something other than supporting the end result of a plane putting a bomb on someone's face (Except for the offensive Security Forces people who kick in doors and kill badguys), I'll keep my flight suit. And you can't diss it until you have to download a plane full of cargo, upload a plane load of cargo, finish within the hour, and wear a flight suit while helping in balls-hot Kuwait or Guam. No rolling sleeves or tying the top half around your waist.