Spartans Home

How the mind works under stress

Elvis~SPARTA~

how the mind works under stress the mind has the power to control the bodys involuntary functions... an employee heading for a meeting with a very unsettled boss can expect to feel increased visuial acuity and better hearing. the brain tells all non essential processes to take a back seat such as your pain receptors immune system and instead just flood the body with adreniline, while this is going on it's shunting blood flow to arms and legs to ensure the wont get faituiged, get the heart and lungs moving faster all ready to fight or flight and make the body sweat to create a slippery surface on the skin incase grabbed. all these are a throwback from the hunter gatherer days. and are rendered a nuisance to the employee who is just being asked questions. the employee looks nerviously at the doors the windows and rapidly at everyone in the room stares at the teeth in everyones smiles then offers a handshake the handshake shoots out instead of casually gliding forward his palms are sweaty hes also leaning forward instead of standing up straight like a giraffe taking a drink of water keeping ready to run should anything unexpected happen.

the instinctive part of the brain cant comphrend that a person can get stressed just meeting people and believes that all stressful situations are predatory and hostile. while the clostest thing to a predator is proabably 2 miles away and all this has culiminated in is a sweaty redfaced employee whos tounge is dry and is unable to maintain eye contact with any individual in the room for more than a few seconds at a time and fidgets uncontroalably.

When my wife is mad, all my senses are in full overdrive, my eyes dialate, and I am very aware of my surroundings, especialy any hands/fists/kitchen knives flying my direction. Call it a spider-sense, but I think it's just a built-in survival skill.

So what happens when your daughter kicks you in the nuts with ice skates?

One of the first things to go in a Fight/Flight scenario is your reasoning ability. People train over and over so that they react with the correct response when there isn't any time to think about your actions.

In the video, you can see that the pilot does all manner of things to help get them safely to the ground, but doesn't say anything. When the backseater starts bugging him about the engine fire, the pilot's 10 steps ahead and tells the WSO "Shut up, I got it." Which is really bad juju, but sometimes necessary when the extra chatter is hurting the situation. Mad props to the pilot for having massive Situational/spacial awareness and getting the plane back to the airfield instead of ditching it and letting it burn a hole into a neighborhood.

About the accident itself:

Bird strikes do happen, occasionally. But something like this is extremely rare. A flock like this is what took down an E-3 AWACS with all crew aboard in Alaska, and the same kind of flock was the cause of the Hudson Bay landing. Even taking something as small as a Sparrow to the engine is cause to turn around right there. It's a moment of terror when you hear someone on the flight deck say "Bird..." on takeoff, and relief when the rest of that sentence is "...low, no factor."

When I was stationed at Homestead AFB in sunny south Florida in the early 1980s, we had one of our F4D Phantom fighters hit a turkey buzzard on landing. The front gear was extended and the bird went into the front landing gear bay and hit the back of the bay where there was a cover/door for most of the electronics. The bird went through the door and disentigrated all over the equipment. I was working avionics back then and our flightline unit had to clean all that mess out and replace all of the equipment.

A few years later, there was a similar story out of ... (I think) Idaho Air National Guard. Where a turkey buzzard struck an F4D through the front cockpit glass hitting the pilot in the chest and sending innards, blood and feathers all over the navigator/wso (wizzo) in the back. The wizzo had to pilot the plane in for an emergency landing. I don't recall if the pilot survived it or not.